Sign in to follow this  
ahilboldt

Bunny Lake is Missing

34 posts in this topic

I'm so happy this lost movie will be on June 2. This is a movie that has haunted me. I saw as a child and never forgot it. Have not seen it since. A great thriller. Has anyone seen it? If you do a search on yahoo so many people are looking for this movie. a true creepy classic

i haven't seen this movie since i was a child it left a creepy impression on me can't wait to see it again

too.

I remember seeing it on a Saturday afternoon at my local theater and I don't think I understood it. I was probably about 10 years old so it went over my head. Maybe I'll try to watch it, although psychological thrillers aren't really my thing.

Most of the reviews I read about the movie was awful BUT

I will see it for myself anyway.

Mongo

I remember seeing this one years ago. Its pretty offbeat. The reviews say its dreary. All I remember it being very WEIRD, but I do want to see it again. Maybe I was too young to understand it.

Just a reminder that "Bunny Lake Is Missing" is on tonight at 10:15 for those who are interested.

Mongo

And, the time that Mongo gave is Eastern, so adjust the air time accordingly if you live in locations west of the East coast. I will get it at 8:15PM Mountain Time, for example. ;)ML

I watched this movie last night (missed the first 15 minutes) but I'll have to admit it was pretty suspenseful although I thought the payoff lasted a little too long. Lynley and Dullea played their parts so well you didn't really know who was the crazy one until close to the end. I can see why this went over my head when I saw it at 10 years old. I liked it OK.

Finally got to see BUNNY LAKE after many years. I still find it creepy but quite suspensful at times. Don't want to give away the plot for many who have not yet seen it. I found Keir Dullea's performance quite effective but at times he seemed laughable. And what about Noel Coward. What was this character that he played all about? It seemed like he walked in from another film. I was amazed at how many distinguished (mostly British) character actors I spotted in this film. First, amazingly Lucie Mannaheim as the German cook. I first saw her in Hitchcock's 39 STEPS as the spy who was befriended by Robert Donat. I didn't think she was still active at this time. Then there is the wonderful Martita Hunt (Miss Faversham of GREAT EXPECTATIONS) as the owner of the school, Anna Massey (as the administrator) who was so effective in Michael Powell's PEEPING TOM, Finlay Currie as the doll mender. It seems this actor had been around forever, Megs Jenkins as the hospital nurse. I have seen her playing many of these types of roles in the 50's and 60s. She was the housekeeper helping Deborah Kerr in THE INNOCENTS and again housekeeping for Ingrid Bergman in INDISCREET. Finally, more familiar faces: Clive Revill and Percy Herbert as detectives. The B&W print was quite beautiful. And I always liked Paul Glass' haunting score. Let's not forget the memorable credit title sequence by Saul Bass.

Well, in discussing this movie, it's another one that we must take care to not give away the ending...even though for once I managed to know what was coming. What performances! And, yes....the cast was awesome...right down to Noel Coward, who I assumed was there to give everyone one more "possible suspect"...and what a grand job he did of it!

I'm kind of surprised that this movie "fell flat" at the time of it's release. But, I agree with Robert Osborne who says that it does have a fairly large "cult following" today. I very much enjoyed watching it for the first time last night. Good film-making! Thanks to TCM for bringing it to us! ML

All I can say is that I wasted my time watching this movie. It was ca-ca to say the least. And now I know why it got poor reviews.

Mongo

I watched this movie last night and I found myself actually liking it. Okay I have to admit that it was a bit far fetched but it kept me amused for the evening. Thanks for letting me know about the movie, it certainly was a different film and not something that I would normally watch.

Mongo...you say that this film was "ca ca"...please go one step further and tell us why you think it was. I'm not trying to needle you, but I would like to see what your reasoning is behind such a statement. Perhaps I missed some very important aspects of this film's quality because I only found it entertaining. ;)ML

Ah geez, Path...are you really saying that it's only by our personal "instincts" that a film can be judged as being "ca ca"? For some insane reason I always thought (hoped?) that there might be more to it than this! All this time I've been looking for deeper reasoning behind our personal critiques here. Silly me. Or, are you and Mongo just yanking our chains on this one? ;)ML

Since I was reminded that my criticism of the movie was a bit harsh without explanation and reminiscent of a few pessimistic posters I wish to clarify my remarks here.

SPOILERS:

During the first 40 minutes the movie had somewhat held my interest since it had a bit of suspense (the missing kid and all). Then about an hour in I tired of Lynley's histerics and Dullea's blank robotic look at which time I suspected he was looney tunes and it became all too obvious. Alas the tale got tedious for me. I also felt that Laurence Olivier was wasted and Noel Coward (scary looking dude) should have stayed in his apartment.

The finale was flaccid and overwrought (I was hoping that Lynley would hit Dullea over the head with the shovel already).

Oh! The kid was pretty good and the part where Dullea burns the doll was adequate.

All in all the movie for me was dreary and aimless.

Mongo

I haven't seen this movie since i was a teenager, half

hour into the film i remembered who the villian was and

the ending of the film. Sothe suspense of the film was gone for me. Kuir Dullea & Carol Lynley's bothgreat in

the film. Seeing all the old Classic English actors

was a nice touch . Didn't understand Noel Coward's

role in the film did he forget what movie he was in &

playing a character from another film!.......

BTW Saul Bass'es artwork just perfect for the film

couldn't have been more perfect than if it had been the art work similiar to tahe movie"To Kill A Mockingbird".

this film has gorgeous tracking shots, where the camera swoops down to follow a character across long stretches of scenery. the camera movement is worth the price of admission alone. preminger doesn't like cutting, and it is a refreshing change to watch a movie that isn't designed like mtv videos. watch the film with the sound down and notice preminger's choices for camera placement. this is where the art is -- forget the story.

Thanks, Mongo, for a more responsibly thought-out critique. This is more like you! And, just so you'll know, even though I enjoyed the movie (having never seen it before), you make several points that I must agree with. Do either of us have any reason to buy, rent, record, or even watch this movie again? Nope. ;)ML

bansi4, although I did enjoy the film to an extent, I love the character actors, I have to agree with many of your statements. Olivier seemed to be walking through his role. At times Dullea was very laughable, walking around like a zombie (Preminger's fault?). And, I too was waiting for Lynley to clobber him over the head. I think I would have done that too. As I said before Noel Coward's character was unpleasant and didn't seem to belong in this film at all. It's certainly not Preminger at his peak, but it is worth a look anyways. By the way Leonard Maltin's rating for this film is two stars and it was called "quite dreary" with "unpleasant characters."

I had seen a bit of this movie on television years ago and had given up on it.

I agree the camerawork, music, and some of the acting was good...and of course the Bass titles. But for me the movie was a failure. As many red herrings as in MURDER SHE WROTE, you kept thinking that that BIG star wouldn't be here unless he had at least SOMETHING to do with the plot! LOL.

And Carol Lynley - who is so pretty and whom I love in RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE and a few other movies - was just really bad here. When she was supposed to look scared the expression she had on her face would almost make me laugh. And she never changed her emotion in a scene....whatever she started out with she kept through the whole bit...and she was just so...well...bad!

Of course this is just my opinion, but after seeing BONJOUR TRISTESSE and THE MAN WITH GOLDEN ARM where Preminger got some good performances out of some unlikely people (Kim Novak, Eleanor Parker, Jean Seberg) - I was disappointed in the two leads of BUNNY LAKE.

One more movie crossed off my list that I don't have to bother with again.