Sign in to follow this  
ahilboldt

Bunny Lake is Missing

34 posts in this topic

I didn't see BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING the other night, but I thought folks might be interested to know that I read in a message board on the IMDb that a remake is in the works with Reese Witherspoon in the Carol Lynley role. Don't know how true that is, but thought I'd pass it along, nonetheless.

Sandy K

I don't think JEAN SEBERG or for that fact KIM NOVAK could be classified in the same category as ELEANOR PARKER. Parker towers above those two actresses who were basically movie stars. I've always felt Ms. Parker was miscast in MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM, although she carries it off. Screenwriter Walter Newman felt Shelley Winters would be more suitable/believable in the part of Zosh. I think bad performances should be blamed on a lazy director and apparently Preminger was sleeping on the job in this one. Apparently the two leads needed lots of help.

It doesn't make sense to me to remake a movie like this--a thriller. Maybe the kids will go see it with Reese Witherspoon, but I don't see anyone who's familiar with it would be interested in seeing it--even though I did defend remakes on another board, I don't think remaking thrillers is such a good idea. I guess that's an exception to the rule.

BTW--I think it's great that some of the regulars around here got to see a movie that most had never seen or haven't seen in a long time and we had a good thread discussion about it. We didn't all agree but it has been interesting to see everyone react. Most movies TCM shows are movies we've all seen or are genres some don't like. But this movie, for some reason, aroused everyone's curiosity. Just an observation.

Sandy, it really does seem strange that they are planning a re-make of this one, given that anyone who ever saw the original already knows the story from beginning to end. I sure hate the thought that it's just because of Reese Witherspoon, and a flock of kids today who never saw the original, that this remake might actually be a success. It's that part about kids today never seeing the original's (even the bad ones) that gets to me! But then, I'm still fuming over "Cheaper By the Dozen", a remake that will never be better than the original was! ML

At first I was excited about the remake of the wonderful film "The Stepford Wives" until I found out they turned it into a comedy. With Nicole Kidman and Bette Midler I guess I was hoping for dramatics with startling up to date special effects. Oh well.

Mongo

I also hear that this new "Stepford Wives" is already getting good press, and good reviews will follow. I suppose that with some of these remakes, we'd do best to just go along for the ride, especially if they have actually managed to come up with a better cast, and a better movie with better special effects. ML

i'm just gonna say short & sweet mongo & classicsfan i totally agree on what you both have expressed LB.

nicely put

What gets me about remakes is with this movie is 1) being in black and white adds so much to the story line, kids today refuse to watch a movie if it is in black and white, they just don't get it. 2) the mystery of the story... they never come right out and say what the relationship is between the brother and sister, as a child I really never got it, I just enjoyed the creepy plot, as a adult I understood much more. Now, they show everything and i think Is too much info, that doesn't really need to be said. We all know what was going on, we didn't have to see it. But I bet in the remake they will show all giving it a r rating, then it becomes just a truly uncomfortable movie.

Just my thoughts on remakes of this movie and others, too.

annie