Sign in to follow this  
GangGreen65

What is your favorite Three Stooges short?

23 posts in this topic

As a member of the Three Stooges (which officially makes me a Knucklehead) fan club, I had a question for all my fellow Stooge fanatics.

What is your favorite Three Stooges short?

Mine is "Three Little Beers". What I'll never know is whether it has something subconsciously to do with the fact that I was a caddie for 5 years when I was a teenager. What I mean is, the highlight of this short is the Stooges completely destroy a golf course! YES!

I am not sure why, but that one where Curly sings with the senorita hat on, to the woman's voice on the record, I hear the voice of Spring below or something like that...LOL. But there are so many I love. I never see them on TV anymore!

For non-stop laughs I'll take "We Want Our Mummy" and "A Plumbing We Will Go," two Thirties classics before Harry Cohn slashed the budgets on the Stooges shorts.

Smiler:

Good point and good choices. Those two shorts are from a period (1939-1940) when The Stooges, and especially Curly were at a real creative peak.

> Good point and good choices. Those two shorts are from a period (1939-1940) when The Stooges, and especially Curly were at a real creative peak.

Hollywood was at its creative peak from '39-'41, including the 3 Stooges unit at Columbia. Also during this time they made another one of my favorites - "How High Is Up," with the boys working as riveters on a skyscraper. Curly at his best...

Smiler:

"How High is Up - Curly at his best" ... you said it!

Who else could pull this off:

Moe drills Curly's head with a rivet drill.

Curly: Hey, what do I look like? A rivet?

Moe: How do you feel?

Curly: Like a rivet.

"How High Is Up?" was the first Stooges short I saw as a child on WPIX-TV in New York. I was hooked on the Boys from the opening scene: They're sleeping under their jalopy when a fire hydrant bursts and they float down the street on a mattress into oncoming traffic. I've been a fan ever since.

I am sorry I don't exactly recall the title, but it's the one "Who killed **** Robin" murder trail. It breaks me up, everytime.

I don't remember the title but it involved the boys preparing a turkey in the most unimaginable way and tossing it out the window by accident.

> {quote:title=metsfan wrote:}{quote}

> I don't remember the title but it involved the boys preparing a turkey in the most unimaginable way and tossing it out the window by accident.

Preparing a turkey was a gag that turned up in several of the Stooges' short subjects, notably [AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE (1941)|http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=57] and [listEN, JUDGE (1952)|http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=137], but the specific window-tossing version is from one of the live-action wraparounds from their TV cartoon series [THE NEW 3 STOOGES (1965)|http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=237].

> {quote:title=Bablefish wrote:}{quote}

> I am sorry I don't exactly recall the title, but it's the one "Who killed **** Robin" murder trail. It breaks me up, everytime.

[DISORDER IN THE COURT (1936)|http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=15]

I'm still in the process of seeing all the Stooges' shorts, but, as of right now, my favorites

are:

10. I'm a Monkey's Uncle

9. Brideless Groom

8. All Gummed Up

7. A Ducking They Did Go

6. A Plumbing We Will Go

5. Dizzy Detectives

4. Disorder in the Court

3. Malice in the Palace

2. The Hot Scots

1. Idiots Deluxe

threestooges5.jpg

Generally speaking, the earliest Stooges' shorts are better written and the boys are younger and more active. Have you ever noticed how Larry gets some great lines in those early films? My favorite is Men in Black, "what did you do for the patient in room 12? " "Nothing, what did he ever do for us?" A few weeks ago TCM had "Kelly the Second" 1936, with Patsy Kelly and Guinn Williams. The same story as the Stooges' "Punch Drunks" from 1934. Another favorite is the Stooges delivering ice up the long stairs, the title escapes me. A nice variation of the classic Laurel and Hardy "Music Box". So many great gags, long live the 3 Stooges. P.S. "For duty and humanity".

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> Another favorite is the Stooges delivering ice up the long stairs, the title escapes me. A nice variation of the classic Laurel and Hardy "Music Box."

[AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE (1941)|http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=57]

Actually, a reworking of two short comedies, from the earlier credits of director Del Lord and screenwriter Lloyd French.

Del Lord adapted the iceman gags from ICE COLD COCOS (1926) starring Billy Bevan and Andy Clyde, which Lord directed at the Mack Sennett Studios.

Lloyd French took the dinner preparation segments from [A PEACH OF PAIR (1934)|http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=252], a Shemp Howard & Daphne Pollard comedy he directed at Vitaphone.

THE MUSIC BOX (1932) reworked segments of a silent Laurel & Hardy, HATS OFF (1927), where the duo attempt to deliver a washing machine up the long flight of stairs. Unfortunately, no surviving prints of HATS OFF are known to exist.

Thanks for the responses Shemp, you are definitely more knowledgable about these things then I. I recently bought the Vol 1 Three Stooges collection dvds, been a long time since I saw some of these shorts. Will be buying more in the future, and of course some more Stan and Ollie.

"Back to the Woods" (1937) --- at 19.5 minutes, it's the Stooges' second-longest Columbia short. The Stooges play Pilgrims in 17th century America. Their dance with the pilgrim maids is a highlight (especially Larry's scat improvs). Another great moment is the turkey hunt. Moe orders Larry & Curly to fire at will, to which Curly responds, "Which one is Will?" But my favorite part is when Larry gets captured by the Indians. I love any short where Larry shines.

I love How High is Up also. My fa vorite scene in that one has Moe and Larry helping Curly take off his sweater.

I also like the one when they sell Brighto. Makes old bodies new

Higher Than a Kite, for its ahead-of-its-time humor (one gag predates Slim Pickens' bomb-ride scene in Dr. Strangelove by 20 years) and for its broad-but-sincere skewering of the Third Reich.

On Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 7:01 AM, beastooge said:

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> Another favorite is the Stooges delivering ice up the long stairs, the title escapes me. A nice variation of the classic Laurel and Hardy "Music Box."

[AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE (1941)|http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=57]

Actually, a reworking of two short comedies, from the earlier credits of director Del Lord and screenwriter Lloyd French.

Del Lord adapted the iceman gags from ICE COLD COCOS (1926) starring Billy Bevan and Andy Clyde, which Lord directed at the Mack Sennett Studios.

Lloyd French took the dinner preparation segments from [A PEACH OF PAIR (1934)|http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=252], a Shemp Howard & Daphne Pollard comedy he directed at Vitaphone.

THE MUSIC BOX (1932) reworked segments of a silent Laurel & Hardy, HATS OFF (1927), where the duo attempt to deliver a washing machine up the long flight of stairs. Unfortunately, no surviving prints of HATS OFF are known to exist.

Three stooges and Laurel and Hardy are my two favorite 1930s comedy shorts. My very favorite 1930s comedy team is the Marx brothers, but they were all in feature length films. Since we're talking about shorts, then it's the stooges and Laurel and Hardy, plus their humor is not far behind the Marx brothers in funniness anyway. 

I love the stooges episode where they're carrying the ice up the stairs,and yes it does bear resemblance to Laurel and Hardy in the Music box. I also love the stooges episode where they're working on the car and Moe gets his head caught in the pipe, and they then crawl into a bomb which gets dropped in Germany. I also love the episode where they're making breakfast in the diner and serve the guy those rubber pancakes. I also love the episodes with Ted Healy such as the episode where they're waiters in the nightclub and in their appearance in the film Meet the baron with Jimmy Durante and Jack Pearl. I also love the school teacher episode where they teach the class of those beautiful young women the vowel song (a-e-i, a-e-o, a-e-ippy-i, a-e-u), and the beauties' wonderful chorus voices singing along.