Sign in to follow this  
inhonorofpop

Is there a marketing scam on this message board, or is this not a big deal?

29 posts in this topic

(For those put off by the length of this post, I apologize. Only the first three paragraphs constitute my message proper; the second half just contains supporting quotations.)

Hello, all. I?m a 23-year-old fellow who came to love classic movies thanks largely to my late grandfather?s watching them whenever I visited. I am new here and would appreciate your commentary. A member of this board, gagman66, is repeatedly offering free Harold Lloyd DVDs (and apparently other movies) as a public service to all fellow fans (please see second half of this post for citations with references), but when I contacted him to inquire further he tried to charge me $12 per DVD and $80 for the set, plus shipping.

What really got me was that, despite having made such a big deal about the free DVDs on this message board (as recently as just a few hours before I e-mailed him), and despite my notifying him that I was considering posting to the message board community the truth about his ?free? DVDs, gagman66 denied he ever made such comments. Indeed, gagman66 outrageously claimed, ?I have never said anything about giving away free dvd?s on that [TCM] site;? and, ?Please understand that I was not offering everyone free DVD?s on the TCM site . . . but just one specific person.? These statements are false, as the below quotations demonstrate. Since I am not a lawyer I cannot comment on legal issues, and I don?t even necessarily take issue with the justifications gagman66 gave for his pricing structures. The sole issue is that gagman66 offered these DVDs to the entire community for free (again, please see below), but then sucked me into a commercial proposition in which he blatantly denied ever making free offers in the first place. This is what convinced me that it would be proper to seek input from the message board community (despite gagman66?s efforts, however sincere they may be, to make up for any misunderstandings by giving me a discount).

Am I making a big deal out of nothing? Is this simply a misunderstanding? Or is this a classic ?bait-and-switch? marketing scam? Is this fellow a bootlegger? If so, is the TCM message board the place for such a racket, or should this board be restricted to movie commentary and the like? Or, if anyone is making commercial offers, should they not be required to be honest and fully forthcoming about how much they are really seeking to charge?

The following is just a sampling of gagman66?s multiple offers on this message board to send anybody who is interested (not just one person) these DVDs for free (only shipping costs and blank DVDs are listed as possible charges):

?Hello, Harold Lloyd fans! I didn't even know this part of the forum was here until today! Again as I?ve stated in other post?s, if your looking for Harold Lloyd?s silent features on DVD (well DVD-R) than look no farther! I have them all un-cut and restored, along with several Two and Three reelers! I'm no ?bootlegger?! I only charge for the cost of the blank Media and shipping. From a legal standpoint, this is all I can charge. I ship everything priority mail so those interested collectors who I know are out there will have their disc?s in only 3 to 4 days time!? (Mar 20, 2004, 8:42 PM, ?Harold Lloyd? thread)

?However, I'll gladly run you off (or anyone else who is interested) a DVD-R copy of the complete film (along with GIRL SHY on the same disc!) for free! Just reimburse me for the shipping cost! Same offer goes for all the Lloyd features in my collection! These are fully authored programs with menu's, thumbnails, and background images! As a collector you will not be disappointed I assure you, and your not going to find a better deal anywhere!? (April 11, 2003, 3:41 PM, ?Interesting website for Buster Keaton fans? thread)

?I'm offering to send you a high quality DVD-R for nothing of three very hard to find films! If I sent it to you ?first class mail? that would cost me no more than a $1.50! The blank media around $5.00 at the most. That?s only $6.50 for three films not yet out on DVD and it may still be awhile, if ever before they are! . . . Tell you what $6.50 isn't all that much anyway so the heck with it, I'll send it to you for free! I'm convinced once you see how good these programs look and the films are themselves, you will probably want more anyway!? (Apr 28, 2004, 1:38 PM, ?Amarilly of Clothesline Alley? thread)

?Just a minute, I'm not finished yet! Send me a 10 pack of blank DVD-R?s, (it may take one or two more than this) and I?ll run you off copies of every single one of the Harold Lloyd programs I have put together for free! All you pay is return shipping! This offer applies to any collector's out there who might be interested!? (Apr 28, 2004, 2:01 PM, ?Amarilly of Clothesline Alley? thread)

?Damn it! Just give me your name and address, and I?ll send you these blasted DVD?s (that?s 10 complete programs, well over 20 films) for nothing!? (May 28, 2004, 5:21 PM, ?Buster Keaton and Jean Harlow fans in the house?? thread)

?Most people who have a fair idea on the subject would call me nut?s for offering to send you free DVD?s!? (May 28, 2004, 7:31 PM, ?Buster Keaton and Jean Harlow fans in the house?? thread).

?Legally I?m not allowed to charge you anything for many of these titles. As I have commented elsewhere, I am not a bootlegger. I have no desire to become one.? (May 28, 2004, 7:31 PM, ?Buster Keaton and Jean Harlow fans in the house?? thread)

?No ?Nick? your ears did not deceive you in the slightest! To be more accurate in this case your eyes did not. For I did indeed utter the term FREE! As most of the films I have on DVD-R, are copyrighted and technically I am not supposed to be selling them for profit.? (May 31, 2004, 9:02 PM, ?Buster Keaton and Jean Harlow fans in the house?? thread)

As far as I can tell, and I may be wrong, gagman made an offer of Lloyd material to someone who is not enamored of Lloyd in an effort to elicit personal information from her. She wisely declined.

A marketing scam on the part of TCM? Hardly. Just the usual bantering and 'playing' that sometimes goes on via these message boards and which other boards (specifically Television Without Pity) censor in their attempt at controlling people's minds. TCM is nicely hands-off, apparently, when it comes to freedom of speech. I applaud them for that.

That said, every poster should look out for him/her self when it comes to something that doesn't sound right. You found out, inhonorofpop, that all was not well with this offer.

By the way, good for your grandfather, and sorry that he is no longer on this earth, that he passed on his love of classics to you.

Thank you, deeanddaisy666, for your input, and most especially for your kind sentiments about my grandfather. I am sorry my subject heading was not clear -- in no way did I mean to imply this was a marketing scam on the part of TCM (in fact, if there is an official moderator or representative from TCM, I would appreciate finding out how to notify them of this matter), but rather a potential racket from a member of this message board. Also, gagman66 did try to tell me that he was only making an offer to that woman you alluded to, but as the below quotations from a number of different threads attest to, his offers were in fact to a few different people and, most importantly, extended to the entire community. Thanks again for your reply.

I think that this offer was made to HKG in order that she "appreciate" Harold Lloyd, not to the entire WORLD. that being said, :HKG you WILL watch the Three Stooges' "Malice in the Palace" and you WILL enjoy it! :P

It is true that gagman66 had a rather conspicuous spat with HKG. It is also true that elsewhere, in other threads, gagman66 extended this offer to the entire community, not just HKG. Please see the below quotes especially, with emphasis added:

?Hello, Harold Lloyd fans! I didn't even know this part of the forum was here until today! Again as I?ve stated in other post?s, if your looking for Harold Lloyd?s silent features on DVD (well DVD-R) than look no farther! I have them all un-cut and restored, along with several Two and Three reelers! I'm no ?bootlegger?! I only charge for the cost of the blank Media and shipping. From a legal standpoint, this is all I can charge. I ship everything priority mail so those interested collectors who I know are out there will have their disc?s in only 3 to 4 days time!? (Mar 20, 2004, 8:42 PM, ?Harold Lloyd? thread)

?However, I'll gladly run you off (OR ANYONE ELSE WHO IS INTERESTED ) a DVD-R copy of the complete film (along with GIRL SHY on the same disc!) for free! Just reimburse me for the shipping cost! Same offer goes for all the Lloyd features in my collection! These are fully authored programs with menu's, thumbnails, and background images! As a collector you will not be disappointed I assure you, and your not going to find a better deal anywhere!? (April 11, 2003, 3:41 PM, ?Interesting website for Buster Keaton fans? thread)

?Just a minute, I'm not finished yet! Send me a 10 pack of blank DVD-R?s, (it may take one or two more than this) and I?ll run you off copies of every single one of the Harold Lloyd programs I have put together for free! All you pay is return shipping! THIS OFFER APPLIES TO ANY COLLECTOR'S OUT THERE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED!? (Apr 28, 2004, 2:01 PM, ?Amarilly of Clothesline Alley? thread)

I have not bothered to comment on this since I knew I would never buy anything from gag but it has been irritating that on several occasions he is hawking his wares here. I did not think this was the proper place. Now that it has been brought up I felt I should chime in.

I've also ignored gagman's offers, and it seems most everyone else did, since he has repeatedly tried to offer everyone his merchandise. And it does seem that he bothered harlowkeatongrl, which is a shame, because it's caused her to stop posting here, which she mentioned in another thread. But I suggest that we all simply ignore him, unless he contributes valid thoughts to our topics of discussion. And it looks like you probably scared him away inhonorofpop, which is probably for the better.

Now look, I just wrote a lengthy post about this misunderstanding. Unfortunately, when I tried to copy and paste I lost everything. So all area's won't be covered here. However I assure you there is and never has been any marketing scam here!

Point 1. "Moviejoe79" I didn't drive "Harlowkeatongirl" away. In fact I've received several e-mails from people who thought she was the problem here and not me! In fact I am sending one of those people 4 free programs soon for their support. Actually I offered to send 1 free program, they couldn't decide between four. So I said, "That's all right I'll send all four of them to you"!

Point 2. I mentioned to "inhonerofpop" in a personal response that I thought he wanted my Harold Lloyd community identity and not this one. At haroldlloyd.com I never offered anyone anything for free. I have on this site on occasion. In addition due to this mix-up I actually offered to send "inhonrofpop" a free DVD-R program of his choosing! Very few people would do this my friends! I also dropped the price for a complete set down to $55.00! That's 11 programs 32 films where talking here! This includes 13 features and the UNKNOWN CHAPLIN documentary which I generally toss in as a free bonus! With the Lloyd film trust formally charging $25.00 for titles on VHS, and bootlegs of WHY WORRY? selling on Ebay right now for $18.95 plus $7.50 shipping, which deal sounds more economical to you? Kino will be charging $30.00 for it's first Lloyd release on the twentieth of July. It will consist of 6 shorts and one feature the Lloyd's 1922 classic GRANDMAS BOY. Every title on the Kino collection is public domain and so these will not be the same versions of the films that TCM has been airing.

Point 3. I sent Little Tramp Lover a few months ago 8 or 9

free disc's! I never expected anything for them. However she didn't feel right about that and sent me something in return out of the goodness of her heart. I certainly didn't drive her off either as she was delighted with what I sent her. I am concerned however what has become of her? A few weeks ago I mailed her two more free programs that I had promised to her. I wish I knew if she ever got them or not?

thank you for this information - nobody should be offering Harold Lloyd dvds, for a price or for free; this is illegal unless it's being done with the Harold Lloyd estate (who is working to put these out on dvd as soon as possible)

tcmprogrammer, thank you for your response. Are you an official TCM representative or moderator? Does anyone else resent the fact that a board designed for the exchange of classic movies ideas and commentary has been used for unseemly bootlegging scams?

Gagman66's response is a typical evasionary tactic that avoids the central issue. The issue is not whether gagman66 can find instances of individuals agreeing with his price structure. The issue is that gagman66 does not reveal his price structure until after one innocently inquires regarding his numerous "free" offers to the entire community (which have been documented below) -- which he then blatantly denies ever making. And, as tcmprogrammer points out, and as even gagman66 himself admitted on a few occasions, there are potential legal issues here as well with the entire enterprise. Furthermore, gagman66 even now admits to more than one "identities" under which he arbitrarily charges some people and not others. Is this something that the folks at the Harold Lloyd estate should be made aware of?

Thank you TCM programmer! Perhaps we can now put an end to all this nonsense and get down to the business at hand...discussing movies. Afterall this is Turner Classic Movies and we could tape plenty of good silent films that the station presents at our leisure and it don't cost us nothing but a blank tape.

Mongo

With all do respect to TCM, you simply must admit most people have had no choice but to obtain their copies of these films from second or third party sources. Undoubtedly many of those people even demanded outrageous sums for copies of many of these titles. I have not. I have also never attempted to sell any copyrighted features or versions on Ebay. While many others have.

This has been going on all over the place and the Trust is fully aware of it. As the Harold Lloyd TCM broadcast's have in fact only aired in the United States. Not in England for example, on the version of Turner Classic Movies found over there. Over on haroldlloyd.com there are constant complaints from across the pond that they have not been bestowed the same privilege as we have in America. At least in this nation, We are indebted greatly to the trust and TCM for the exposure they have provided to a whole new generation of fans to the films of Harold Lloyd!

I would dearly love to see official DVD's be issued as soon as possible believe me, but at present this appears rather unlikely. I am actually working toward speeding that process along by forwarding my own ideas and designs directly over to the Trust themselves for there express consideration! Annette Lloyd who is affiliated with the trust in some capacity has graciously consented to take a look at my work.

All in all, we now know that this will not be allowed on this board. We will now return to our regular programing

honestly once before under my old screenname someone gave me a web address where i thought i'd find out about movies and the site was selling things but not movies so you know buyer beware be careful what you do and where you go on the web

Although I read most of the posts on this entire message board, I don't post here that often but I have to step in here and defend Gagman a bit..............

I personally have recorded a ton of stuff off of TCM on DVD...... and I never offer the stuff for any kind of money.......but I also get many requests and most of the time (99%) I do not make any copies of anything for anyone........and if I do...(very rarely.....I can count the total on one hand)...it is because I want to and I don't even charge them shipping..........and also the few times I have done this it is something that has NEVER been available commercially........

My job happens to be in the music business and I understand many aspects of copyright law and I respect it............BUT........I have bought many bootlegs off of ebay (sometimes at outrageous prices) because there are many films that will never be shown on TCM, never have been or will be offered commercially, and it is the only way I will ever be able to watch it...........I happen to appreciate the fact that I can obtain some of these treasures via ebay.......

Now...some of these dealers are just plain criminal......they say the movies are great copies and charge a fortune and you get the video and it's fuzzier than a Bear...........others are offering very modest prices and are doing it more as a service out of their love for movies.......

My whole point here is I have seen all of Gagman's post and they have not offended me........

It appears to me that Inhonorofpop was upset that he was going to have to pay for something that he was trying to get for free....... If it is dishonest for Gagman to offer movies for some profit because he is breaking copyright laws.........it is just as dishonest for Inhonorofpop to be emailing Gagman to get his free copies!

And one more thing......all of Inhonorofpop's threats.......let's contact TCM......let's contact the Harold Lloyd estate................are ridiculous........what's next.......let's contact the FBI? Let's have a McCarthy hearing?

If you don't like or are offended by Gagman's offers, move on to the next message.......that's what I do!

Tom

I think this thread has accomplished its purpose in alerting the TCM online community to this classic ?bait-and-switch? marketing scam, especially since the head programmer for TCM has chimed in directly to express gratitude for the exposure of this racket. Hopefully this message board will return to being a source for the exchange of classic movie commentary and information, and never again be exploited for commercial bootlegging scams.

And since gagman66 and the one person who came to his defense have both completely avoided the central issue and used evasive tactics to try and make others feel guilty and dishonest, it seems they have conceded the point being made, and it doesn?t really seem there is much point in replying further, except perhaps one more time to bring the focus back on the central issue.

This thread is NOT about whether gagman66 should be selling copies of Harold Lloyd DVDs, whether his pricing structure is justified, or his personal exchange with harlowkeatongirl (his offers, once again, were NOT made only to her, but to the entire community).

This thread is purely about deception and dishonesty on the part of a member of this message board, (1) whose stated public policy and actual policy are different, (2) who blatantly lies by denying publicly recorded statements when confronted with the discrepancy, (3) offers ?discounts? from artificially inflated prices, and (4) who claims he is performing a marvelous public service, but is clearly just trying to make money from unsuspecting innocents (otherwise he would have been honest that he is charging $80 per set from the outset, instead of falsely offering them for free, with shipping and blank DVDs being the only possible costs mentioned). Given that this message board is designed for the exchange of classic movies information and commentary, should this be allowed to stand?

*****************************************************************************************************

Finally, so as to ensure that members can see precisely what this is about, the following information will be included with every subsequent post (which hopefully won?t be many, if any at all):

**** The deception exposed and truth revealed:

?Individual programs are now just $12.00 each plus shipping. The complete set of programs is $80.00 + shipping.? (Gagman66, personal e-mail to me, May 31, 2004, 10:40 PM EST)

?I have never said anything about giving away free dvd?s on that [TCM] site.? ?Please understand that I was not offering everyone free DVD?s on the TCM site . . . but just one specific person.? (Gagman66, personal e-mail to me, June 1, 2004, 2:01 AM EST)

**** The marketing scam to con unsuspecting innocents:

?However, I'll gladly run you off (OR ANYONE ELSE WHO IS INTERESTED) a DVD-R copy of the complete film (along with GIRL SHY on the same disc!) for free! Just reimburse me for the shipping cost! Same offer goes for all the Lloyd features in my collection! These are fully authored programs with menu's, thumbnails, and background images! As a collector you will not be disappointed I assure you, and your not going to find a better deal anywhere!? (April 11, 2003, 3:41 PM, ?Interesting website for Buster Keaton fans? thread)

?Just a minute, I'm not finished yet! Send me a 10 pack of blank DVD-R?s, (it may take one or two more than this) and I?ll run you off copies of every single one of the Harold Lloyd programs I have put together for free! All you pay is return shipping! THIS OFFER APPLIES TO ANY COLLECTOR'S OUT THERE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED!? (Apr 28, 2004, 2:01 PM, ?Amarilly of Clothesline Alley? thread)

Oh brother Inhonorofpop..........now you are totally cracking me up.........so your whole problem is his "bait & switch" tactic??

So the fact that you were trying to obtain free copies of movies illegally should be overlooked so that we can tar and feather Gagman? Here's the one line you neglected to post: "Let's keep to the main issue here and not find me guilty of trying to obtain copyrighted material at no cost" ! ! !

Here is the bottom line Inhonorofpop: If Gagman had sent you these illegal copies for just a shipping charge........you would have been a happy camper and I'm sure you wouldn't want to be reporting him to TCM and The Harold Lloyd Estate. BUT....because he used the "bait and switched" tactic and tried to make a few bucks off of it he is a criminal and you are squeaky clean...........and he should be reported........how convenient.

I am still not condoning the bait and switch if that indeed is happening.......it is not right........but you are starting to appear a tad defensive!

Wow........how we all fall short........

Thank you for your response, tomagain77. To answer your question, yes, the issue here is deception, "bait and switch" tactics, denial of publicly-recorded statements, etc., which as you've stated, "is not right." At this point it seems this thread has been effective in eliciting a consensus from the TCM community, and I would like to thank everyone for their commentary. I'm looking forward to discussing classic movies in other threads.

As for the rest of your post, tomagain77, please feel free to either e-mail me directly, or to start another thread on the ethics of "obtaining free copies of movies" (which would include, for instance, recording movies on one's own home VCR for oneself, family and friends; the whole debate on file-sharing and such; etc.). You raise very good points. Thank you for your input.

*****************************************************************************************************

So as to ensure that members can see precisely what this is about, the following information will be included with every subsequent post (which hopefully won?t be many, if any at all):

**** The deception exposed and truth revealed:

?Individual programs are now just $12.00 each plus shipping. The complete set of programs is $80.00 + shipping.? (Gagman66, personal e-mail to me, May 31, 2004, 10:40 PM EST)

?I have never said anything about giving away free dvd?s on that [TCM] site.? ?Please understand that I was not offering everyone free DVD?s on the TCM site . . . but just one specific person.? (Gagman66, personal e-mail to me, June 1, 2004, 2:01 AM EST)

**** The marketing scam to con unsuspecting innocents:

?However, I'll gladly run you off (OR ANYONE ELSE WHO IS INTERESTED) a DVD-R copy of the complete film (along with GIRL SHY on the same disc!) for free! Just reimburse me for the shipping cost! Same offer goes for all the Lloyd features in my collection! These are fully authored programs with menu's, thumbnails, and background images! As a collector you will not be disappointed I assure you, and your not going to find a better deal anywhere!? (April 11, 2003, 3:41 PM, ?Interesting website for Buster Keaton fans? thread)

You know what, "Inhonorofpop"? All this stuff about "gagman" and whether or not he has been engaging in illegal behavior aside, it's YOUR messages that are really starting to annoy me now. I'm certain that everyone has been reading and following along, you've accomplished what you set out to to, and enough is enough on this topic. Ok? ML

This has gone far enough. There was never any deception involved here. This has been a simple mix-up that has been blown completely out of proportion. For I am not a scam artist of any kind, nor have I ever been one. I'm just a nice guy who dearly loves the films of Harold Lloyd and sent inhonorofpop" the wrong information in error. I respect copy rights, but in this case no commercial product even exists! The bottom line is these films are not currently available and it may be years before they are. My only crime is I would like more people to be able to see and own copies of these films! Most people who have seen my work are absolutely thrilled with it! They could not be much happier!

The Harold Lloyd Trust is well within it's power to release it's own line of DVD's and market them on their website. Despite frequent protest's and concern's from the fans they have declined to do so! They still have hopes of selling the rights to the complete Lloyd library to a major distributor. Something that might never happen as this has been the talk for the past 5 years! Many fan's have long since lost patience with them!

Consequently, the only option left open to film buff's and collectors has been to acquire the films by other means, or wait for the occasional TCM broadcast. However,

I'll have you know that TCM's contract with the Trust expire's sometime next year. If it isn't renewed no one knows what will happen to the films after that! In addition these airings have only taken place on TCM in the united States! Great Britain and other country's have been totally left out!

In any case the $80.00 figure your making such a fuss over didn't even exists until just last week! As most people have felt obligated to pay me something. They don't expect anything in life to be free. They have paid me within reason what they felt the package was worth. Being that many of them have already had their DVD's before I even saw any money at all, if the were dishonest people they wouldn't have paid me a thing! For they didn't have to, they already had the programs! I would love for you to see one of my programs so the free other still stands on the disc of your choice. In fact send me the 10 blank DVD-R's and I'll gladly run you off copies of every program! Or we can trade for programs if this help's to make it more legal?

All this started on the TCM site because someone had mentioned how much they enjoyed the 1924 Lloyd classic GIRL SHY when it last aired on TCM. Another member. "Little Tramp Lover" read the post an commented she had yet to see the film, but would very much like to. In a response tread I just happened to mention to her that I had GIRL SHY on DVD-R! To which she expressed an immediate interest. Well that's how it all started at least on the TCM site.

Thanks, classicsfan1119. Certainly if people are getting annoyed then it's time to stop, and I apologize for that. I agree we should get back to discussing classic movies (in fact, I had a question about North by Northwest in the "Information, Please" forum and would be much obliged for any responses). This will thus be my last post in this thread.

Thanks, classicsfan1119. Certainly if people are getting annoyed then it's time to stop, and I apologize for that. I agree, let's get back to discussing classic movies -- in fact, if I may be allowed a plug here ... I had a question about North by Northwest in the "Information, Please" forum, regarding the hidden dialogue in the airport scene, and would be much obliged for any responses.

(Sorry about the double-posting of the same message; I was having computer problems before. Alright, I'm done here. Hope everyone enjoyed Cary Grant last night.)