georgiegirl

Oh, that face, that fabulous face. Whose is it?

5,339 posts in this topic

WHAT?!

Saaaaay, what kind of 'Merican ARE you anyway???!!!

;)

(...that's Reggie Jackson...remember when they named a candy bar after him?...if not, never mind)

LOL. One that doesnt watch sports or keep up with it (There are a few of us!) Sorry, but I cant think of a more boring way to spend my time.......

In his case, I have heard of him. But I wouldnt know his picture from Slim Summervilles'.......

Edited by: Hibi on Sep 10, 2013 3:26 PM

Well, I can understand THAT at least!

Summerville never made it past Single-A Ball.

(...he couldn't hit the curve, and the slider gave him fits!)

LOL

Do you know this fellow. He was a one time chorus boy in thirties musicals. He was also a stunt man. He made lots of westerns and he's probably seen on TCM as often as any actor. Oh, yes, he also starred in a cult classic. Who is he?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHqiGXGI5l_zYACEH4_SQ

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTE-BmDfJXK-dHg6t78Is

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXqAL_gYKpWTTJkuyV5M4

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS74whUO6Nmgusm5OEeeCP

I guess I forgot to confirm that the three Reginalds were Reginald Denny, Reginald Gardiner, and Reginald Owen. Lavender got them. SCSU1975 got Dave O'Brien. He was a chorus boy in the "Young And Healthy" number in "42nd Street" and the "Honeymoon Hotel" number in "Footlight Parade". He did indeed star in "Reefer Madness", which is why I included the third picture. I said that he appears on TCM as often as anyone because he starred in many of the Pete Smith shorts, usually playing a bumbling husband.

Now, who are these two actors? They sort of have something in common. Do you know what that might be?

Here's the first man:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIEOjMCi3GIJzOYtHZ3A0

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCmhjMx6JXgmNR4IUxv3r

And now the second:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMe1OiaJ5bpp5bLndd77e

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSagHak0qnhvf_XyA9vI1O

That's right, MN. Edward Ellis, playing Maureen O'Sullivan's father, actually had the title role in "The Thin Man". J. Scott Smart had been playing "The Fat Man" in a radio series. He got to play the role on film in the 1951 movie version.

Now, here is an actress who starred in a cult classic, but most of us know little else about her. Do you know her?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2UghJ1twopl8exkcGIeW

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-m5yACcdXC8tRh-utaL8

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-Rc4x6Eg-igE2IjEdRwj

Well, missed out on the thin man ;) , but I can take this one . . . Olga Baclanova.

Most famously Cleopatra in Tod Browning's Freaks, but she also appeared in other noteworthy films - opposite Conrad Veidt in Paul Leni's The Man Who Laughs and in one of John Gilbert's talkies, Downstairs. The latter also featured one of the recently discussed Reginalds (Owen).

I'll never forget Olga somethingorother. I wonder if she changed her name for show business. Noracharles got it. Now, do you know this fellow. We may have had him before.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOD3z4DoCE_Cc-IVsYEFu

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1zKd5nXC5E4azjpKDHAZ

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYQXJ_GXA0JHvtJWV2PCw

Yes, Twinkeee got him. Robert Paige was a contract player at Universal in the forties and fifties. You may remember him in "Abbott And Costello Go To Mars", which turned out to be Venus in the movie. He was also in the musical "Can't Help Singing", which was Deanna Durbin's first movie in color. Now, here is a character actor who was in many movies over the years. Do you know him?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbem0jmZX3R2UIjZRKswh

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZeTjGPmnB4hiU5z9KVtr

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUW3yv1SZabf9iH7E6bYk

You got him, Lavender. Maybe it's the bow tie, but does Clinton Sundberg remind you of Charles Osgood, the CBS news commentator?

!1http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDSQFBlNTpwAugh8GApqoAKBn1PjdlqL4B9X1iskI9LA2ozxwK!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-BrnNr8126BJA6gfEJqk

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKhnFYzU-HSXi__iOI13d

Now, who is this actor?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeZD0623m1Ig3IE5C2ejl

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUx6Qos8GmWPIM68aI27r

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJqjHDwnwOLHtlIPXSdhU

We may have had him before, but it's been a while.

ONSLOW STEVENS......he appeared and starred in quite a few movies including FLIGHT FROM GLORY (1937) and BEN-HUR (1956)

Twinks

Miles Archer wrote;

Robert Paige was a contract player at Universal in the forties and fifties.

I remember him as the host of TV's *Schlitz Playhouse* in the early 50's. I was surprised to see him in *Bye, Bye, Birdie* as I'd had no idea he was an actor. I saw him in a Deanna Durbin movie but really wasn't that impressed. I'd forgotten him until I saw these photos.

Twinkeee was correct with Onslow Stevens. Now, do you know this actress. She had a short career and a troubled life. She did not live to reach 40.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRk_EReo_kf1SKRRMOd3b

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJdm3Bv1mRW_s_vRMes9g

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMHAuNCFAgJ0KDYaJ370A

She's always been one of my favorties: Diana Barrymore.

Two of her best were BETWEEN US GIRLS (1942) a delightful comedy similar to THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR, but which came out first (just barely) but is almost never mentioned anymore while the Ginger Rogers film is the one everyone remembers.

Also NIGHTMARE (1942) a very good WW2 spy drama showed Diana did have some acting talent instead of being just a famous name.

If her main six movies were not Universal Pictures maybe we'd be seeing them regularly on TCM and she'd be better known and appreciated.

That's right, MN. Diana was John Barrymore's daughter from his first marriage. Drew's father, John Drew Barrymore, was from John's marriage to Dolores Costello, so John Drew Barrymore and Diana Barrymore were half brother and sister, and just like her father, she had a problem with alcohol. She died at age 38.

Now, who is this actress who had a very short life? She had a famous relative and she was married to an actor for a short time before she passed away.

5160_1022991098.jpg

4825344.jpg

suzanball38.jpg

That's right, MN. She was married to Richard Long for a short while. She died of cancer while in her early twenties. You can see her in "Chief Crazy Horse" with Victor Mature.

Now, do you know this fellow. He had been a vaudeville and burlesque comic. He played small roles in quite a few movies from the late 1930's throughout the 1940's. He also had a famous relative.

35-joe-yule.jpg

54pvaclz34c555.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1LLEPFp9yHwlssg8E2yD

EDS1350385903HVKMJQ.jpg

87938-17059.jpg

It looks like a hint is neded here. Think about "Jiggs And Maggie". Also, the man's famous relative was his son. The son was the top Hollywood box office draw for three consecutive years. Now, does that help?