Sign in to follow this  
mateo107

Warner Archives Discussion

1,007 posts in this topic

I'm interested in the films of Buster Keaton yet to be on DVD.

The 2 silent films Buster made for MGM and his first sound film are in general release on DVD. This leaves six sound films:

Doughboys (1930) - unreleased on DVD

Parlor, Bedroom, and Bath (1931) - public domain - restored very nicely on Industrial Strength Keaton

The Sidewalks of New York (1931) - unreleased

The Passionate Plumber (1932) - unreleased

Speak Easily (1932) - in the public domain (his best sound film)

What No Beer? (1933) - unreleased

Does WHV still have the rights to the four unreleased Keaton sound films? If so, these would be perfect candidates for the archives. I'm not sure why Warner seems to control all but two of the MGM Keaton films. I know Buster wasn't much of a businessman, and as a result the rights to all of his films tend to be a bit of a legal mess.

Granted, the MGM sound films are a pale shadow of his silents, but I think most of us Keaton fans would like to have these in our collection.

Cool hint Calvin.

Here is the most up-to-date list of all WAC titles, with the titles that are to be released on 6/15 in *bold*. The "Amazon exclusive" titles are at the very end.

Abdication, The

Abe Lincoln in Illinois

Above and Beyond

Actress, The

Adventures of Huck Finn (1939)

Adventures of Mark Twain

Ah, Wilderness!

Al Capone

All Fall Down

All the Brothers Were Valiant

Along the Great Divide

Angel Baby

Baby Maker, The

Badman?s Territory

Bamboo Blonde, The

Barricade

Beast of the City

*Beau Brummel (1924)*

Beggar's Opera, The

Betrayed

*Better Ole, The (1926)*

Bhowani Junction

Big Circus, The

Big House, The

Billy the Kid

Brainstorm (1965)

Break of Hearts (Hepburn, Boyer)

Breakfast for Two

Bright Leaf

Broadway Rhythm

Bye Bye Braverman

Cain and Mabel

Canyon River

Captain Nemo and the Underwater City

Captain Sinbad

Carbine Williams

Carson City

Castle on the Hudson

Cattletown

Chained

Christopher Strong (Hepburn)

Church Mouse, The

Citadel, The

Close to My Heart

Colleen

The Command

El Condor

Convicts Four

Countdown

Crescendo

Crime and Punishment, USA (1959)

Crisis

The Crowded Sky

The D.I.

Dance, Fools, Dance

Darby's Rangers

Defector, The

Devil Is a Sissy, The

Distant Trumpet, A

*Divine Lady, The (1929)*

Doc Savage: Man of Bronze

Dream Lover

Dream of Kings, A

Dream Wife

Drums of Africa

Dude Goes West

Dusty and Sweets McGee

Edison the Man

Emma

Enemy of the People

Exit Smiling

Fallen Sparrow, The

*First Auto, The (1927)*

Flirtation Walk

Forsaking All Others

Four Daughters

Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1962)

Freebie and the Bean

George Raft Story, The

Goodbye, My Fancy

Grasshopper, The

Great Garrick, The

Happiness Ahead

Hard to Get

Having Wonderful Time

H.M. Pulham, Esquire

Heart Beat

Homecoming

**** Tonk

I Was A Communist for the FBI

I Was an American Spy

Ice Follies of 1939

Idiot's Delight

Interrupted Melody

Invitation, The

It's Love I'm After

John Loves Mary

Johnny Eager

Joy of Living

Just the Way You Are

Kaleidoscope

Kidnapped

King of the Roaring 20's

Kiss, The

Laughing Sinners

Lepke

*Let Us Be Gay (1930)*

Lion in the Streets, A

Little Drummer Girl, The

Little Minister, The (Hepburn)

Lost Boundaries

Love (1927)

Love on the Run

Luxury Liner

Mad Miss Manton

Made in Paris

Magnificent Yankee, The

Malaya

Man from Galveston

Man from God's Country

Man Who Loved Cat Dancing

Mannequin (1937)

Mating Game, The

Meet the People

Men in White

*Min and Bill (1930)*

Money Trap, The

Moonlighters, The

Mr. Lucky (1943)

Mrs. Parkington

My Blood Runs Cold

Oklahoman, The

*Old San Francisco (1927)*

On Borrowed Time

Once Upon a Honeymoon

One on One

One Sunday Afternoon

One Trick Pony

Operator 13

Orphans

Outlaw Blues

Oxford Blues

Painting the Clouds with Sunshine

Party Girl

Payment on Demand

*Politics (1931)*

Possessed (1931)

Pride of the Marines

Princess O'Rourke

Private Lives

Promises in the Dark

Purple Hearts

Quality Street

Quentin Durward (1955)

Rage

Rain People, The

Rasputin and the Empress

Ready, Willing and Able

Red Lily, The

Red Mill, The

*Reducing (1931)*

Return of the Bad Men

Room for One More

Roughly Speaking

Saratoga Trunk

Scaramouche (1923)

*Sea Hawk, The (1924)*

Sergeant, The

Shining Hour, The

Shipmates Forever

Shopworn Angel, The

Single Standard, The

Sins of Rachel Cade

Skin Game

Smart Set, The

Soldier in the Rain

So This is Love

Somewhere I'll Find You

Souls for Sale

Spitfire (Hepburn)

Spring Fever

Strange Interlude

Sunrise at Campobello

Sweet November (1968)

Tarzan and the She-Devil

Tarzan and the Slave Girl (1950)

Tarzan's Magic Fountain (1949)

Tarzan's Peril (1951)

Tarzan's Savage Fury (1952)

Task Force

Temptress, The

They Only Kill Their Masters

This Woman is Dangerous

Thousands Cheer

Three Comrades

Three Sailors and a Girl

The Toast of New York

Today We Live

Tom, Dick and Harry

Too Hot to Handle (1938)

The Trail of '98

Trail Street

Tugboat Annie

Two Girls and a Sailor

Voices

We Were Dancing

Westbound

*When a Man Loves (1927)*

When Ladies Meet

Wichita

Wild Orchids

Wisdom

A Woman Rebels

Yes, Giorgio

Young Tom Edison

*AMAZON EXCLUSIVE TITLES:*

Bordertown

Colorado Territory

Crime School

Dr. Ehrlich?s Magic Bullet

Look for the Silver Lining

Male Animal, The

Strawberry Blonde, The

20,000 Years in Sing Sing

Unsuspected, The

Veredict, The (1946)

I made a call to Netflix this morning and talked to a customer service rep about the series and asked if they would be carrying it (because I don't want to have to subscribe to another service, Classicflix.com). The CS person had never heard of the Archive collection but when he looked up WB's website, he got very excited and sent an email to corporate to look into acquiring them. He couldn't say they will do anything but at least he is making them aware of the titles. As an added inducement, I mentioned that classicflix is renting them and that they said netflix wouldn't, and I think that may have gotten a bit of the competitive juice going on the customer service rep.

Let's hope Netflix starts carrying them.

Edgecliff, I came across a code that gives you 30% off, WBSURVEY7. It works right now but I don't know how long it will last. It is also good on DVDs, Blus, etc. Plus WB has a special free 2nd day shipping on orders over $30, and that expires at midnight June 15th.

Yes, I used this to buy 2 more Blu Ray: QUO VADIS and GIGI. Passed on all the new archives. None of the Cooper or Keeler films interested me and I heard the Cooper films are mediocre transfers. As I said before, I am trying to keep my bills down and be very selection with the archives. A lady in customer service said one customer ordered 175 DVD's. That's a small fortune and hard to believe collectors. Or maybe they are reselling???

That was likely classicflix.com. They have a rental service and mentioned a few months back they were going to buy all.

Thanks for posting the 30% off code, Peter, that was really awesome. With the code, I got the Gary Cooper set for about $40. That's about $7 for each movie. _And_ with free shipping, too. :D

Warner Archive has collected their latest seven silent releases as a set priced at $69.95 (saving 50%)

The set includes: Beau Brummel; The Sea Hawk; When a Man Loves; Old San Francisco; The First Auto; The Divine Lady; The Better 'Ole.

They've also got 2 Marie Dressler sets, one with 4 movies and one with 6 movies, both offer a 50% savings over buying the titles separately.

Sigh, and just after I ordered The Sea Hawk last week.

By the way, for those of us who have used the WBSURVEY7 code, it won't work. However, I tried to see this morning if *WBSURVEY6* would work, and it does...25%.

Tried it last night and WBSURVEY7 still works for me. It supposed to up until June 30. On the other hand I had problems posting this message on 6/17 on my home computer. It seems to be OK at work. This is the second time I had trouble posting a response.

Edge, had you used the code before then for a purchase (and, if so, were you signed in to your WB account this morning when you tried it)? I think it is you can't use it twice, not that it doesn't still work.

If I could get it to work, I think I would try it on the Oz set, because I believe it brings the WB price down to $45, which is really 50% of the suggested $89.95 price.

Message was edited by: filmlover

Edge if you or anyone can get the WBSURVEY7 code to work twice with the same account/e-mail address, it'll be great news. I only ordered the Coop set and one other title, but wouldn't mind placing another order if I can still get 30% off.

Yes, it still works a second time. However, you can't use it for pre-orders. Darn!!! Although I don't know whether I want this big bulky set as yet.

calvinnme:

Another MGM Buster Keaton feature I'd like to see released through the Warner Archives or shown on TCM is "Estrellados" (1930) (the Spanish-language version of "Free and Easy").

TCM has shown the German version of "Anna Christie" so why won't they show "Estrellados"?

The film does exist, unlike the case of so many other foreign-language versions of Hollywood films.

So, please, TCM look into showing it. Thanks!

Message was edited by: musicalnovelty

Edge, the Oz set was okay earlier on Thursday for getting the discount and several people report pre-ordering the Blu set for $47 using the WBSURVEY7 code. Trouble is that WB must have seen it being used a lot and eliminated any discounts being applied to the Oz set later in the day. You can get discounts on some pre-order items, just not that.

As to the WBSURVEY7 code, it does work, but not once you sign in. I just did a test where I didn't sign in, placed several items in my cart, applied the code and it took 30%, saying "WBSURVEY7 CODE APPLIED" or some such thing...but as soon as I signed in, the discount was removed from my card with a note that the code could not be applied.

Edge, try it again, put some items in the cart without signing in, apply the code and you will see the price go down 30%, then sign in and let me know what happens.

WB has also had trouble with a special they set up on Wednesday: you order Watchmen on Blu or DVD and for $5 more you get Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter on Blu or DVD, as the case may be. I got in on the great Blu deal, which also had 20% and free shipping, and I got the two titles for a total $28.96 plus tax. Trouble is word leaked out and the site got flooded with orders, instead of the select people WB sent the special code out to by email. There's been trouble off and on since then witht he site, which also included the Oz set being taken off of any discounts. Sigh.

Yes, that whole site is screwy. Its very slow, it bounces things out. Those people need to get their act together. I guess since the codes were posted online many people who did not know the site logged in and got their discount.

The site did apply the 30% for things other than pre-orders. Hopefully, there will be other sales I did use the 30% off for two Blu Rays last week.

I think WB added 1 more title so the total is 223. 169 of them are on demand...can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 169 on demand & the rest which are not

Also since I am unfamiliar with a lot of these , in fact most of these titles I was looking for some possible recommendations based on what I have seen so far

I have bought the Big House, Betrayed, Beast of the City and Castle on the Hudson which I really liked

I was thinking about *Johnny Eager* and *the Big Circus*

The only one I didnt like much was *Crisis*

Everything I bought so far was a guess basically that I would like it... :)

I have never gotten any discounts are codes for discounts to my chagrin :(

Three titles have been added including NORA PRENTISS and THE MAN I LOVE, Also, coming are Liz Taylor titles and THE STORY OF THREE LOVES. These are three titles I have been waiting for a long time.

There are actually three Ann Sheridan films coming to the Archives: THE UNFAITHFUL, NORA PRENTISS and JUKE GIRL.

Have you signed up for the "Insider Rewards" section? I noticed it yesterday at the top center of the WB Archive screen and joined. They've sent me an email saying I can get 25% off my next purchase (only good for 7 days). You also get the chance to enter for daily giveaways.

Two more Lupino films are up for ordering: THE HARD WAY and THE MAN I LOVE. Also another Sheridan film: JUKE GIRL. Wish they would bundle these along with NORA PRENTISS since they are all considered film noir.

Also, available is the rare Audrey Hepburn film GREEN MANSIONS.