Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Trump & Manafort trial....

46 posts in this topic

I find it ironic that Manafort's lawyers are trying to use Gates' extra-marital affairs to try to paint Gates in a bad light and imply that what he says about Manafort can't be trusted.

Do they feel the same way about another well known guy and his extra-marital affairs???? 

Sounds like a good one for SNL.

• Haha 2

You can see that the prosecution didn't offer Gates a deal just for flipping for this trial.  There is way more to come. But I suspect when those indictments come down Mueller will also have to be ready with his report because all hell is going to break loose.

Paul Manafort trial Day 9: Judge seals discussion of Rick Gates, Trump and the ongoing Mueller investigation
Paul Manafort, President Trump’s onetime campaign chairman, is on trial in federal court in Alexandria on bank and tax fraud charges.
By Rachel Weiner, Matt Zapotosky, Lynh Bui, Tom Jackman  •  Read more »
  • Thanks 1

The Judge Ellis made yet another bone-head comment that could hurt the government's case against Manafort:

Prosecutors have for the second time during Paul Manafort's criminal trial asked Judge T.S. Ellis to correct a statement he made to the jury, according to a filing they made Friday morning.

This time, they're asking Ellis to tell the jury to disregard his comment Thursday during a witness' testimony about alleged bank fraud conspiracy that the attorneys "might want to spend time on a loan that was granted."

Ellis made the comment near the end of the day Thursday, as witness Taryn Rodriguez of Citizens Bank testified about a $5.5 million loan Manafort applied for using false statements to the bank but did not receive.

What prosecutors want: Prosecutors said the comment misrepresents the law regarding bank fraud conspiracy and is likely to confuse and mislead the jury.

They want Ellis to explain in court Friday "that the jury is not to consider the Court’s comment and that loans that Manafort fraudulently applied for but did not receive are relevant to the charges in the indictment."

Based on all the evidence against Manafort the only possible chance he has is if a juror believe the government is is being unfair to him.    Would a juror be silly enough to involve jury nullification and cause a mistrial?

With a judge like this who needs to tamper with witnesses? 

MSNBCVerified account @MSNBC 5m5 minutes ago

Special counsel Robert Mueller's team rested its case against Paul Manafort, President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, who is facing tax evasion, bank fraud and money laundering charges.

----------------------------------------------------------

http://www.latimes.com/la-na-pol-manafort-trial-prosecution-rests-20180813-story.html

I heard that the defence is going to rest without presenting anything.  I smell a big Trump prearranged pardon rat here.

Paul Manafort trial Day 11: Emails show Manafort deeply involved in his financial dealings
Evidence in the trial of Paul Manafort could conclude today, followed by closing arguments and the possible start of jury deliberations.
By Matt Zapotosky, Lynh Bui, Rachel Weiner, Tom Jackman  •  Read more »
  • Like 1

Howard FinemanVerified account @howardfineman 4h4 hours ago

#Manafort’s hopes/strategies:

1. hung jury due to a holdout juror, since conviction must be unanimous.

2. If guilty, stall with appeals until @realDonaldTrump fires #Mueller, then join Trump on barricades of resulting crisis.

3. Pardon, based on silence and loyalty to #Trump.

:unsure: 

On 8/14/2018 at 6:01 PM, mr6666 said:

Howard FinemanVerified account @howardfineman 4h4 hours ago

#Manafort’s hopes/strategies:

1. hung jury due to a holdout juror, since conviction must be unanimous.

2. If guilty, stall with appeals until @realDonaldTrump fires #Mueller, then join Trump on barricades of resulting crisis.

3. Pardon, based on silence and loyalty to #Trump.

:unsure: 

1. is very possible. 2 is probable, but there is nothing that says that Manafort has to remain free during appeals. 3. is what I worry about the most. I've been following this trial closely and this guy is embarrassingly guilty. No mitigating circumstances, he is just entitled and has unbridled greed coupled with no regard for the law. If the feds offered him a deal he was a fool to turn it down.

3 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

1. is very possible. 2 is probable, but there is nothing that says that Manafort has to remain free during appeals. 3. is what I worry about the most. I've been following this trial closely and this guy is embarrassingly guilty. No mitigating circumstances, he is just entitled and has unbridled greed coupled with no regard for the law. If the feds offered him a deal he was a fool to turn it down.

It is my understanding a President can pardon someone that has taken a plea deal.      Therefore if Manafort was confident that Trump would pardon him,  why not just accept the plea deal.   This would have resulted in a much quicker pardon.     

Of course maybe Trump didn't wish to pardon someone that admits guilt by taking a plea deal but I find that hard to believe.    I.e. Trump doesn't care if those he pardons are actual criminals or not,  he only cares if they are loyal to him and so far Marafort has been.

As for #1;  Why do you believe that is 'very possible'.    Note that I believe it is slightly possible because a juror will feel the government was being unfair by granting immunity to the rest of his 'gang' and that Gates is likely to get off with a light sentence as compared to Marafort.     

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As for #1;  Why do you believe that is 'very possible'.    Note that I believe it is slightly possible because a juror will feel the government was being unfair by granting immunity to the rest of his 'gang' and that Gates is likely to get off with a light sentence as compared to Marafort.     

I just feel that there is a high probability that at least one of twelve jurors could have lied about his/her impartiality with the intention to acquit Manafort all along, believing the line that Manafort is on trial only because of his connection to Donald Trump.

58 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It is my understanding a President can pardon someone that has taken a plea deal.      Therefore if Manafort was confident that Trump would pardon him,  why not just accept the plea deal.   This would have resulted in a much quicker pardon.     

Of course maybe Trump didn't wish to pardon someone that admits guilt by taking a plea deal but I find that hard to believe.    I.e. Trump doesn't care if those he pardons are actual criminals or not,  he only cares if they are loyal to him and so far Marafort has been.

If Manafort or anyone else had accepted a plea deal that means that they would have already testified under oath - likely against the President.  So pardoning him after a plea deal would be like closing the doors after the horses had already bolted.

44 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

If Manafort or anyone else had accepted a plea deal that means that they would have already testified under oath - likely against the President.  So pardoning him after a plea deal would be like closing the doors after the horses had already bolted.

Good point;  So I guess it was 'worth it' for Manafort to have a trial,  be convicted and then be pardoned.    

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Good point;  So I guess it was 'worth it' for Manafort to have a trial,  be convicted and then be pardoned.    

Worth it for him and Trump.  Not for justice if he is pardoned.

I think everyone is finding out that the president has far too much power to commit crimes like obstruction of justice and get away with it scot free.

2 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

<_<

Katherine FauldersVerified account @KFaulders

In response to POTUS comments this morning,

Manafort attorney Kevin Downing says “it’s great to have the support of the President of the United States”

Michael BeschlossVerified account @BeschlossDC

Nixon prematurely declares Manson guilty, causing defense to seek mistrial, August 1970:

DPGhVXRWAAAqLp0.jpg

7 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

<_<

Katherine FauldersVerified account @KFaulders

In response to POTUS comments this morning,

Manafort attorney Kevin Downing says “it’s great to have the support of the President of the United States”

David MartoskoVerified account @dmartosko 15h15 hours ago

So we just saw the President of the United States praising a criminal defendant as a good man while his jury is deliberating.

:angry: