Sign in to follow this  
Hibi

THE PERRY KING APPRECIATION THREAD

78 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Hibi said:

perry-king-love-on-the-edge-the-cowboy-a Photo for today!

He was such a great-looking guy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I am sorry I forgot about him all these years!!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've enjoyed plenty of Perry King films. Seen a good deal of 'em; and can talk about them at length if anyone cares to. Generally an underrated actor even in his heyday. But a reliable "go-to" guy for whatever he did. He always seemed to turn in an energetic, vigorous performance and he seemed to care about 'making the grade'.

In his early films he was sometimes cast as an overly-sweaty, overly-pale, overly-hormonal youth such as in 'Slaughterhouse-Five' or 'Lords of Flatbush' (where he was swapped in for Richard Gere). His face retained a youthful cast for a long time and he stayed lean and lanky, too.

He matured into a generic "good guy" --playing young cops, loyal boyfriends, medics, etc--but was sometimes cast for his freak-out ability. "Possession of Joel Delaney", for example

Boy, was he nasty in that one. Provided a serviceable Spanish accent, too. Memorable scene: forcing his niece and nephew to eat canned dog food out of a bowl on a kitchen floor; much to Shirley MacLaine's dismay. (p.s. Aren't they related somehow?)

He was also in the raunchy 'Choirboys' playing one of the wayward Wambaugh patrolmen, but that was an undistinguished outing. He was lost among such a huge ensemble.

The most famous film I recall him appearing in? Probably 'Lipstick', the deliberately seamy shocker with Chris Sarandon, the Hemingway sisters (? can never keep them straight) and Anne Bancroft.

His most influential flick? No, not the wonky 'Mandingo'...I'm thinking instead of his convincing character in 'Search and Destroy', the iconic low-budget action-romp said to have started the entire sub-genre of 'crazed Vietnam vet' thrillers. Yep. He was in there at the beginning, right along with cult-film giant Don Stroud. They were superb together; and although Stroud had the famous action sequences it was King's helpless anxiety at being stalked by a former enemy that carried the movie. He cemented that performance.

In sum: King was always a good bet to invest time watching anything he was in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I've enjoyed plenty of Perry King films. Seen a good deal of 'em; and can talk about them at length if anyone cares to. Generally an underrated actor even in his heyday. But a reliable "go-to" guy for whatever he did. He always seemed to turn in an energetic, vigorous performance and he seemed to care about 'making the grade'.

In his early films he was sometimes cast as an overly-sweaty, overly-pale, overly-hormonal youth such as in 'Slaughterhouse-Five' or 'Lords of Flatbush' (where he was swapped in for Richard Gere). His face retained a youthful cast for a long time and he stayed lean and lanky, too.

He matured into a generic "good guy" --playing young cops, loyal boyfriends, medics, etc--but was sometimes cast for his freak-out ability. "Possession of Joel Delaney", for example

Boy, was he nasty in that one. Provided a serviceable Spanish accent, too. Memorable scene: forcing his niece and nephew to eat canned dog food out of a bowl on a kitchen floor; much to Shirley MacLaine's dismay. (p.s. Aren't they related somehow?)

He was also in the raunchy 'Choirboys' playing one of the wayward Wambaugh patrolmen, but that was an undistinguished outing. He was lost among such a huge ensemble.

The most famous film I recall him appearing in? Probably 'Lipstick', the deliberately seamy shocker with Chris Sarandon, the Hemingway sisters (? can never keep them straight) and Anne Bancroft.

His most influential flick? No, not the wonky 'Mandingo'...I'm thinking instead of his convincing character in 'Search and Destroy', the iconic low-budget action-romp said to have started the entire sub-genre of 'crazed Vietnam vet' thrillers. Yep. He was in there at the beginning, right along with cult-film giant Don Stroud. They were superb together; and although Stroud had the famous action sequences it was King's helpless anxiety at being stalked by a former enemy that carried the movie. He cemented that performance.

In sum: King was always a good bet to invest time watching anything he was in.

Great post. Welcome to the message boards. I've never seen LIPSTICK and it's one I'm curious about...CHOIRBOYS used to be on Netflix. I started it one day and sadly did not finish before it ended up leaving Netflix. What I did see felt like a precursor to TV's Hill Street Blues, and Charles Haid is in both productions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank ye very kindly. Yes, the Hill-Street-Blues 'feel' is there and its a good one. To this day, HSB is my all-time favorite cop show. NONE of the big-name police series popular these days thrill or charm me in the slightest. 

Sigh. 'Choirboys' could have been a mega-hit if it had been handled better. Look at that casting. And the book is laugh-out-loud funny. They really blew it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Thank ye very kindly. Yes, the Hill-Street-Blues 'feel' is there and its a good one. To this day, HSB is my all-time favorite cop show. NONE of the big-name police series popular these days thrill or charm me in the slightest. 

Sigh. 'Choirboys' could have been a mega-hit if it had been handled better. Look at that casting. And the book is laugh-out-loud funny. They really blew it.

The book was only written two years before the movie so maybe they rushed things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the film release was in '77, just one year prior to 'Animal House'. If it had been written better, it could have stolen the ensuing era of comedy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

And the film release was in '77, just one year prior to 'Animal House'. If it had been written better, it could have stolen the ensuing era of comedy.

Robert Aldrich is a director with a strong track record. So it's a bit surprising he had a misfire with THE CHOIRBOYS. 

Some directors had a hard time keeping up with the changing times. Otto Preminger is another one. His films in the 70s didn't do well at the box office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.d0ac9ec53a1db8acbc4c48eb8aed0d4b.png

 

Perry, sans stache! I like him either way. Sorry, I've been remiss in posting pix. Nice to see other posters here!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of his TV work; well I haven't seen him in any series but I recommend two TV movies: the wonderful "Cracker Factory' (with Natalie Wood and Shelley Long)....and the gripping true-life account of slain New York patrolmen 'Foster and Lurie'.

Yes you heard me, I've not seen 'Riptide', (even though it was probably a Stephen J, Cannell production and I generally like all his stuff). But for fun PI series I'm strictly Magnum PI and Simon&Simon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beats me. Think it's from some tv show/episode. Looks like Karen Valentine on the right. Cant place the woman on the left, though she looks familiar.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Beats me. Think it's from some tv show/episode. Looks like Karen Valentine on the right. Cant place the woman on the left, though she looks familiar.......

On the left is Lauren Hutton, she was a supermodel years ago and an actress and that is Karen Valentine on the right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I knew she looked familiar. It was the hair/wig that threw me.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without even reading the answers given below the pic with the photo, that's clearly Lauren Hutton on the left. The famous gap in her front teeth. You can identify her anywhere by that one famous trait.

The brunette is the one I'd have to gaze at for a while to figure out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Without even reading the answers given below the pic with the photo, that's clearly Lauren Hutton on the left. The famous gap in her front teeth. You can identify her anywhere by that one famous trait.

The brunette is the one I'd have to gaze at for a while to figure out.

 

I already answered Hibi that it's Lauren Hutton and the gal on the right is Karen Valentine

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Without even reading the answers given below the pic with the photo, that's clearly Lauren Hutton on the left. The famous gap in her front teeth. You can identify her anywhere by that one famous trait.

The brunette is the one I'd have to gaze at for a while to figure out.

 

I couldnt see her teeth that well, The wig confused me.

 

Perfect People. I dont remember that one. But I didnt watch much tv back in those pre-cable days..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh, I really should check out Your Favorites more often. Especially when pictures of Perry King are available! If I remember correctly, the third season of Riptide did it in because they tried to backpedal away so much from the obvious gay overtones of the show. They introduced a pretty Englishwoman as a Miami police officer (or something) who was supposed to be a potential love interest for, I think, King, though my memory's hazy.

Perry King would have been a big movie star in earlier decades, I think. He's a better actor and has more screen presence, even fully clothed, than 1930s wannabes like John Boles. People like Clark Gable and Gary Cooper had surprisingly little competition in this era for handsome leading man roles. He's not the type of actor that the Method people liked, but Henry Willson would love to have had Perry King and Joe Penny as clients (for more reasons than one) in the 1950s. If Troy Donahue and John Gavin could become stars, surely King could have been, too. He's certainly a better actor.

Of course it's great for some of us that Perry King actually did make films at a time when screen nudity was acceptable. He's just the kind of guy that screen nudity was invented for!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2018 at 12:27 AM, kingrat said:

Gosh, I really should check out Your Favorites more often. Especially when pictures of Perry King are available! If I remember correctly, the third season of Riptide did it in because they tried to backpedal away so much from the obvious gay overtones of the show. They introduced a pretty Englishwoman as a Miami police officer (or something) who was supposed to be a potential love interest for, I think, King, though my memory's hazy.

Perry King would have been a big movie star in earlier decades, I think. He's a better actor and has more screen presence, even fully clothed, than 1930s wannabes like John Boles. People like Clark Gable and Gary Cooper had surprisingly little competition in this era for handsome leading man roles. He's not the type of actor that the Method people liked, but Henry Willson would love to have had Perry King and Joe Penny as clients (for more reasons than one) in the 1950s. If Troy Donahue and John Gavin could become stars, surely King could have been, too. He's certainly a better actor.

Of course it's great for some of us that Perry King actually did make films at a time when screen nudity was acceptable. He's just the kind of guy that screen nudity was invented for!

 

LOL. Agree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread has been up for two months, and it wasn't until today that I realized that I have a magnet of Perry King on my refrigerator. Scream Factory, the DVD/Blu-Ray company, has a big sale every year during October, and they used to offer a sheet of fridge magnets, featuring reproductions of cover-art from the discs, as a free gift with any purchase. I got two of them over the years, and I just noticed that one of the pics is from Class of 1984, starring Mr. King.

 

limited-edition-Scream-Factory-Magnets-o

Class-of-1984-bluray-scream-factory.jpg

1984.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha! That reminds me of a New Zealander guy I knew once. He admitted he had participated in soccer for twenty years ...before he realized, he disliked it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us