Sign in to follow this  
inframan72

GODZILLA/KAIJU APPRECIATION THREAD!!!!!

23 posts in this topic

OK,I'M GOING TO GIVE THIS ONE,MORE SHOT..........

I know there are many fans out there of the Big G and the many other kaiju monsters that we all know and love!!I have created this thread for that very purpose:to relive those fond memories and to introduce a new generation of fans to this exciting genre!!!I welcome all fans to share their favorite movies,monsters,and of course,their memories of these icons!!!So please,drop in and relive those kaiju monsters in all their rubber-suited glory!!!!

And who knows,we might even get TCM to show some of them.....if we get enough people!!!!!

WELCOME.....

THE DOOR IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS..........

inframan72

to inframan72 Am new to the web after a long absence and I am hooked on the message boards. This is my first participation and I have chosen this one because its a subject near and dear to my heart. I am with you. Lets open this thread up. Have much to share but will wait to see if you get more bites. IFC has Samurai Saturdays. TCM should run a Godzilla movie once a week. Fri. nights or Sat. mornings would be fun and fitting. We know Turner has access because they used to let Joe Bob Briggs run with it on TNT some time back. Back when TNT was fun. So here's another voice for the Big-G. Now we are two.

Welcome,and congratulations on being the first(and hopefully not the last)member of this thread that I started!This is a home for all fans of Kaiju and Asian sci-fi,so I hope others will find this and make it work!I know they're out there,we just have to put out the good word and bring them here to this safe haven!Plus,once we get enough people,then we can get TCM to show our films the way we like them!So,please,encourage any fan to visit this thread and remember,the more the merrier!!!!!

inframan72

Bump on this. If TCM scheduled 1 movie per week on a Friday, or Saturday night or even an afternoon on Sunday I would be sure to set up all the reminders on Comcast so as not to miss them. Remember those Sunday afternoons watching Family Classics on WGN in Chicago :)

Link for Kaiju site

http://www.kaijuhq.org/KaijuMovies.html

Great idea!!!Back when I lived on Long Island,I could watch those films on either Channel 5,Channel 9,or Channel 11,WPIX,every Sunday morning!!!!GOOD TIMES!!!!!!!

Anyone else with fond memories of watching kaiju films on TV?????????

inframan72

Get this. I grew up in the SF Bay Area. My Godzilla memories began with Friday nights Creature Features hosted by the man himself Bob Wilkins ! KTVU channel 2. That was a golden age for local programing. They're a Fox affiliate now. KBHK 44 also ran a Sat. morning monster mash or something like that. Anybody remember UHF ? They're a CW affiliate now. sigh Oh well. I now have a sizable and almost complete collection of Godzilla on DVD ( widescreen, 5.1 sur. etc. ) at my my fingertips which is a fantasy I could scarcely have imagined in my childhood. And yet I still get excited when one of these gems pops up on cable. Which doesn't happen often enough.

With all these movie channels we have,you'd think at least one or two of them would show these films!!!That's why I started this thread,to get fans like ourselves united in getting TCM to show these films the way they should be:widescreen,uncut,and if possible,with English Subtitles so at least people won't look down on them anymore!!!!

inframan72

Favorites, anyone? Of the Godzilla series...

Ghidrah The Three-Headed Monster

Godzilla vs. Gigan

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster

Godzilla King of the Monsters!

Terror of Mechagodzilla

Godzilla's Revenge

Monster Zero

Godzilla vs. The Cosmic Monster

Destroy All Monster

...now, of the rest of Toho's magnificent fantasy genre...

The Mysterians

Matango

Frankenstein Conquers The World

War of the Gargantuas

Mothra (1961)

Atragon

Rodan

The H-Man

Yog, The Monster From Space

Latitude Zero

I've never caught up with The Mysterians, but I've always wanted to see it. Are they the aliens with the wierd goggles that showed up in some of the later Godzilla movies, or were they different aliens entirely? I'm no expert on these movies, but I sure do love them.

I did love DESTROY ALL MONSTERS,simply because there were so many monsters to choose from!!!To me,that was my favorite Godzilla film,hands down!!!!!!!

The Mysterians aliens had really cool race-car helmets, and wore flowing capes. They were probably the inspiration for Speed Racer, and have to be the coolest-looking aliens ever!

Yeah, Destroy All Monster is pretty great. I had never seen some of those "kaiju" before, and it was a real treat to see all of them attacking the major cities of the world. This was the last time that the Tanaka, Honda, Tsuburaya, Ifukube team worked together, and they truly went out with a bang! Actually no, their last film together was Latitude Zero, but DAM was their last Godzilla movie. Eiji Tsuburaya passed away a year later, and thus was the end of the golden age of Japanese fantasy films.

Message was edited by: Vertigo22

Yes,I agree,DAM was an awesome film!!!!It's too bad they didn't use more of the monsters in the later films,like Varan and Gorosaurus!!!maybe when they revive the Big G a couple of years from now,they'll bring them back again!!!!!!!!

inframan72

Favorites? Wow, tough one! Well, to keep it short, anything with Ghidora, old or new. So where do we go from here I-man? How do we keep a thread like this rolling? Oh! BTW. Heard a rumor that Toho might have something new for us by 2012! Go ahead. Ask me where I heard this. Good story.

Well,to keep this thread going,we just have to keep on talking and getting more fans to take a look at this!!The audience is out there,it's just a question of getting them there.......

inframan72

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:14 AM, jaragon said:

I have a fondness for "Latitude Zero"

I can't believe I've never even heard of this. Looks like one of the "greats". It seems like Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea meets The Wild, Wild Planet. I want to see it now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DougieB said:

I can't believe I've never even heard of this. Looks like one of the "greats". It seems like Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea meets The Wild, Wild Planet. I want to see it now.

I loved it when I was kid now it more like camp fun

• Like 1

I posted this elsewhere, but thought anyone with interest in the genre would like to see it:

Criterion has announced their #1000 release:

Godzilla: The Showa Era Films (1954-1975)        October 29

bG4INWRMocURqMHZl7ZgyVgw1O47Tx_large.jpg

• Godzilla (1954)
  • Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
  • King Kong vs Godzilla (1963)
  • Mothra vs Godzilla (1964)
  • Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)
  • Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
  • Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)
  • Son of Godzilla (1967)
  • Destroy All Monsters (1968)
  • All Monsters Attack (1969)
  • Godzilla vs Hedorah (1971)
  • Godzilla vs Gigan (1972)
  • Godzilla vs Megalon (1973)
  • Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla (1974)
  • Terror of MechaGodzilla (1975)

EIGHT-BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION COLLECTOR’S SET FEATURES

• High-definition digital transfers of all fifteen Godzilla films made between 1954 and 1975, released together for the first time, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
  • High-definition digital transfer of Godzilla, King of the Monsters (1956), the U.S.-release version of Godzilla
  • Japanese-release version of King Kong vs. Godzilla from 1962
  • Audio commentaries from 2011 on Godzilla and Godzilla, King of the Monsters featuring film historian David Kalat
  • International English-language dub tracks for Invasion of Astro-Monster, Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, and Terror of Mechagodzilla
  • Directors Guild of Japan interview with director Ishiro Honda, conducted by director Yoshimitsu Banno in 1990
  • Programs detailing the creation of Godzilla’s special effects and unused effects sequences from Toho releases including Destroy All Monsters
  • New interview with filmmaker Alex Cox about his admiration for the Showa-era Godzilla films
  • New and archival interviews with cast and crew members, including actors Bin Furuya, Tsugutoshi Komada, Haruo Nakajima, and Akira Takarada; composer Akira Ifukube; and effects technicians Yoshio Irie and Eizo Kaimai
  • Interview with critic Tadao Sato from 2011
  • Illustrated audio essay from 2011 about the real-life tragedy that inspired Godzilla
  • New English subtitle translations
  • Trailers
  • PLUS: A lavishly illustrated deluxe hardcover book featuring an essay by cinema historian Steve Ryfle, notes on the films by cinema historian Ed Godziszewski, and new illustrations by Arthur Adams, Sophie Campbell, Becky Cloonan, Jorge Coelho, Geof Darrow, Simon Gane, Robert Goodin, Benjamin Marra, Monarobot, Takashi Okazaki, Angela Rizza, Yuko Shimizu, Bill Sienkiewicz, Katsuya Terada, Ronald Wimberly, and Chris Wisnia
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I posted this elsewhere, but thought anyone with interest in the genre would like to see it:

Criterion has announced their #1000 release:

Godzilla: The Showa Era Films (1954-1975)        October 29

bG4INWRMocURqMHZl7ZgyVgw1O47Tx_large.jpg

• Godzilla (1954)
  • Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
  • King Kong vs Godzilla (1963)
  • Mothra vs Godzilla (1964)
  • Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)
  • Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
  • Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)
  • Son of Godzilla (1967)
  • Destroy All Monsters (1968)
  • All Monsters Attack (1969)
  • Godzilla vs Hedorah (1971)
  • Godzilla vs Gigan (1972)
  • Godzilla vs Megalon (1973)
  • Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla (1974)
  • Terror of MechaGodzilla (1975)

EIGHT-BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION COLLECTOR’S SET FEATURES

• High-definition digital transfers of all fifteen Godzilla films made between 1954 and 1975, released together for the first time, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
  • High-definition digital transfer of Godzilla, King of the Monsters (1956), the U.S.-release version of Godzilla
  • Japanese-release version of King Kong vs. Godzilla from 1962
  • Audio commentaries from 2011 on Godzilla and Godzilla, King of the Monsters featuring film historian David Kalat
  • International English-language dub tracks for Invasion of Astro-Monster, Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, and Terror of Mechagodzilla
  • Directors Guild of Japan interview with director Ishiro Honda, conducted by director Yoshimitsu Banno in 1990
  • Programs detailing the creation of Godzilla’s special effects and unused effects sequences from Toho releases including Destroy All Monsters
  • New interview with filmmaker Alex Cox about his admiration for the Showa-era Godzilla films
  • New and archival interviews with cast and crew members, including actors Bin Furuya, Tsugutoshi Komada, Haruo Nakajima, and Akira Takarada; composer Akira Ifukube; and effects technicians Yoshio Irie and Eizo Kaimai
  • Interview with critic Tadao Sato from 2011
  • Illustrated audio essay from 2011 about the real-life tragedy that inspired Godzilla
  • New English subtitle translations
  • Trailers
  • PLUS: A lavishly illustrated deluxe hardcover book featuring an essay by cinema historian Steve Ryfle, notes on the films by cinema historian Ed Godziszewski, and new illustrations by Arthur Adams, Sophie Campbell, Becky Cloonan, Jorge Coelho, Geof Darrow, Simon Gane, Robert Goodin, Benjamin Marra, Monarobot, Takashi Okazaki, Angela Rizza, Yuko Shimizu, Bill Sienkiewicz, Katsuya Terada, Ronald Wimberly, and Chris Wisnia

I want this for Christmas

I was watching "Gozdilla" last night- and I'm still impressed by the destruction of Tokyo sequence- the B&W film creates a very realistic mood- the monster is terrifying and the careful use of man in suit and puppet head creates a realistic creature

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jaragon said:

I was watching "Gozdilla" last night- and I'm still impressed by the destruction of Tokyo sequence- the B&W film creates a very realistic mood- the monster is terrifying and the careful use of man in suit and puppet head creates a realistic creature

You're right about the realistic mood. Some of the later ones veered off into WWF territory, with all the critters body slamming each other endlessly, but the original is downright scary. I think the black and white helps too, giving it an almost newsreel-like quality. To this day, when I see power lines I visualize the sequence from this film.

• Like 1