Sign in to follow this  
erzbet

JEANETTE MACDONALD FANS - Welcome to the Early Days

74 posts in this topic

I have never seen so many beautiful pictures of Jeanette. I really like The Lottery Bride and Monte Carlo. I realize how few films of hers I have seen. Have you seen all of these?

Sure thing, ArmandDuval! I've seen all of them (including what's left of Annabelle's Affairs). But then, I've been watching Jeanette since 1957 or thereabouts:)

Yes, Jeanette is so photogenic! The Lottery Bride stills were especially hard to come by..but she looks so pretty in her outfit. As far as finding the stills, well the Hollywood area had 2 really swell places (Larry Edmunds and Eddie Brandt's Saturday Matinee). NYC has the fab Jerry Ohlinger's place. And I traded with other Jeanette fans. There's not a whole lot of interest in J's pre-MGM films but when I saw these pictures I just had to add them to my collection.

I hope to be downloading stills from LOVE ME TONIGHT and then several delightful publicity poses from Paramount (who apparently appreciated her beauty as much as MGM did). Am particularly fond of "head shots" and the upcoming Paramount "P" series is terrific.

ONE HOUR WITH YOU

Paramount 1932

Directed by Ernst Lubitsch

Maurice Chevalier, Jeanette, Genevieve Tobin, Roland Young:

One Hr. with You

LOVE ME TONIGHT

Paramount 1932

Directed by Rouben Mamoulian. Wardrobe: Edith Head

C. Aubrey Smith, Charlie Ruggles, Maurice Chevalier, Myrna Loy, Jeanette, Charlie Butterworth, Elizabeth Patterson, Blanche Frederici, Ethel Griffies:

1LMT

LOVE ME TONIGHT:

"The son of a gun is nothing but a TAILOR"! Maurice measures Princess Jeanette for a riding habit:

2LMT

3LMT

Wow, 123 people have looked at your pictures, erzbert! They may not be commenting, but they sure are looking. Who wouldn't? They are like nothing many of us have seen before.

Hi, ArmandDuval,

I'm happy they're looking.

If my scanner co operates, I hope to start another JMD thread shortly. Thanks for commenting.

I had never really seen any Jeanette movies,my mother has always been a fan of hers,so when

TCM aired Three Daring Daughters, i thought i'd watch, i was shocked to see how totally beautiful Jeanette was in color, and the movie was really good, i hope TCM will show it again, and i hope they start putting all of Jeanette's movies out on DVD ,now i am a new fan of hers!

Jeanette was one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood. In fact, William Tuttle, the famous makeup artist, thought she was THE most beautiful woman in Hollywood.

TCM shows Jeanette MacDonald films fairly frequently so I'm sure you'll be able to watch many of her movies.

SWEETHEARTS, her first Technicolor movie with Nelson Eddy, is scheduled on TCM for April 28 I believe.

Hi erzbet,

You've shared some terrific Jeanette MacDonald photos with us, thanks! :)

I am looking forward to Tuesday evening's showing of Sweethearts on TCM, and I imagine you are, too (unless you already have a recording of it).

Here's looking forward to tomorrow night. ;)

Am I a fan of Jeanette MacDonald? I have to tell you a story. When I was born, Mom was so sure I was going to be a boy, the only name she had picked out was Richard. Here I am a girl, so Mom does the next best thing. Names me after her absolutely favorite actress, Jeanette. (BTW, Dad liked the name too)!

Hi! Glad you enjoyed the Jeanette photos. Always a pleasure to meet another Jeanette fan.

You're so right about SWEETHEARTS tonight! I just bought a DVD Recorder and have finally mastered its operation and can't wait to tape SWEETHEARTS! I've lost track of how many times I've seen it in the past 48 years but I do remember the time I first saw it on the wide screen (back in the 1960s). It was tremendous. Dazzling color and to see J and N in Technicolor was out of this world. Happy viewing tonite!

What a cute story! I've always liked the name Jeanette..has a graceful charm to it. Thanks for sharing. .

Don't forget TCM will be showing two Jeanette MacDonald movies tonight as part of its Allan Jones tribute:

*The Firefly* (1937) 10pm ET

A Spanish spy masquerades as a singer to sabotage Napoleon's forces.

Cast: Jeanette MacDonald, Allan Jones, Warren William, Billy Gilbert Dir: Robert Z. Leonard BW-130 mins, TV-G

*Rose Marie* (1936) 12:15pm ET

An opera singer goes undercover in the Canadian wilderness to hunt for her criminal brother.

Cast: Jeanette MacDonald, Nelson Eddy, Reginald Owen, Allan Jones Dir: W. S. Van Dyke BW-111 mins, TV-G

the photos are sooo lovely. thanks for sharing. wow you have a great collection. i have a an online group for jeanette that everyone is more than welcome to joing. it is it is at multiply.com and is called Jeanette MacDonald Music Club. we chat about anything jeanette.

the link is http://jeanettemacdoanld.multiply.com/

it is does not work i can send you an invite....

thanks again....

Edited by: jeanettefan on Oct 1, 2009 7:14 PM

Edited by: jeanettefan on Oct 1, 2009 7:15 PM