Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Ahead of Their Time

40 posts in this topic

Hey, Arpirose, glad to see you back.

I definitely agree that Carole Lombard was way ahead of her time. She had a lot more humor and self awareness I think than many of the female glamourous stars from that period. And she was a comic treasure plus being wonderful at dramatic roles also.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Orson Welles War Of The Worlds, original internet troll

No one ever quite GOT it, but the "Our little Halloween prank" has all the earmarks of a last-minute downgrading of Welles' original intentions, to avoid even further trouble:

Leaving aside that there was no "panic"--there were calls to local police, but reports of "Panic in the streets" were largely smear-stories against radio by the local newspapers, who feared the rise of "fake" radio news--Welles in the Mercury stage-theater was as leftwing as they came.  And the Left's big cause in 1938 was to criticize American isolationism as hypocritical, saying that we had a duty to get in there and help Britain stop Hitler, or we'd be fighting him over here before we knew it.

Most people who gush over the WotW broadcast don't even realize the Mercury Theater did other stories, for two whole seasons of Orson playing Dracula, Sherlock Holmes and Phileas Fogg, and that the concept of the show was a unique stage-style directness to the adaptation.  In WotW's case, Orson knew EXACTLY what he was doing putting Americans into the middle of HG Wells's attack by giving America news bulletins of an invasion on the north Atlantic coast, and it's safe to believe that a lot of people calling in about Martians subconsciously thought they were calling in about Germans.  (The link, btw, also has an 1940 interview with Orson and Herbert on a local radio station, and HG clearly got the joke.)

Could he, however, admit that in war-unpopular 1938 on a national NBC broadcast without being fired by the network?  That would have been a little harder.

(And yes, usually I save that annual bit of historical un-revisioning for October, but, y'know...seriously.  Let's put a stop to the "Halloween prank" myth within our lifetime.)

20 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I definitely agree that Carole Lombard was way ahead of her time. She had a lot more humor and self awareness I think than many of the female glamourous stars from that period. And she was a comic treasure plus being wonderful at dramatic roles also.

I love Carole Lombard in just about everything she did. 

So sad she was taken from this planet and the screen much too soon. She was just so adorable, funny and charming. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CG This is for all CAROLE LOMBARD FANS.  On OCTOBER 11, TCM WILL PLAY the original  MY MAN GODFREY with Ms. Lombard, her former Husband Bill Powell and with Gail Patrick, Alice Brady, Eugene Pallette, Alan Mowbray, Mischa Auer, Franklin Pangborn.  This is a terrific cast. My Man Godfrey is one of the best of the SCREWBALL COMEDY GENRE ever produced.  This showing is a rare appearance of this film on TCM.  If anybody loves Ms, Lombard, please DVR it.

I have been away due to personal reasons.

• Like 1

Regarding Carole Lombard, her portrayal of the character Reggie in another Paramount Film HANDS ACROSS THE TABLE (1935) is one to look for.  It was played once on TCM when the director MITCHELL LEISEN WAS recognized  by critics for his vast film accomplishments,.  When Mr Osborne was alive, he played an eclectic mix of films that are surely lacking with today's TCM programmers. He educated the viewers with his knowledge of film and its history.  He is surely missed.

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2018 at 7:45 AM, arpirose said:

Regarding Carole Lombard, her portrayal of the character Reggie in another Paramount Film HANDS ACROSS THE TABLE (1935) is one to look for.  It was played once on TCM when the director MITCHELL LEISEN WAS recognized  by critics for his vast film accomplishments,.  When Mr Osborne was alive, he played an eclectic mix of films that are surely lacking with today's TCM programmers. He educated the viewers with his knowledge of film and its history.  He is surely missed.

I believe HANDS ACROSS THE TABLE was also re-aired when Lombard had a Summer Under the Stars tribute. And maybe again when leading man Fred MacMurray was Star of the Month. At any rate it's been on TCM several times and I agree, it's one to watch for..!

On 8/10/2018 at 6:19 AM, arpirose said:

I feel like Carole Lombard was ahead of her time. When I watched her cheeky spoof of Garbo in THE PRINCESS COMES ACROSS, it seemed like she was poking fun at Hollywood celebrities who take themselves too seriously. It felt exactly like the kind of thing we'd see in a Saturday Night Live skit. She knew how to have fun with the role but use the character to mock things that deserved some pointed criticism. 

• Top Billed you are so right about Carole Lombard.  She was definitely was a great actress and comedienne.  PRINCESS COMES ACROSS IS A GREAT SCREWBALL ÇOMEDY MOVIE.  Leave it to Paramount to make first rate comedy films . They were the best in the genre.Like They gave PRESTON STURGES  THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHINE.  First as a screenwriter,  then he became one of the best directors in Hollywood history.  Finally, in October, TCM WILL SHOW MY MAN GODFREY. It hasn't aired in ages. It is one of the greatest Hollywood comedies ever produced.  Both Carole and William Powell are at their best.  Besides Carole, Bill Powell shines in this film.  I recommend this film for viewing.

Somehow I missed your earlier comment and just read it. Thanks for posting this!

On 8/11/2018 at 10:32 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

I love Carole Lombard in just about everything she did. 

So sad she was taken from this planet and the screen much too soon. She was just so adorable, funny and charming. 

Beth,

I think we need to create a thread calling for Carole Lombard to be Star of the Month...don't you?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Beth,

I think we need to create a thread calling for Carole Lombard to be Star of the Month...don't you?

Yes! She totally deserves to be Star of the Month.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Yes! She totally deserves to be Star of the Month.

TCM is doing the Funny Ladies spotlight in October (with one of Lombard's films included) but it's not enough. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Top Billed

In my MAN GODFREY there is a wonderful supporting cast.  GAIL PATRiCK plays her dishonorable sister Cornelia. Alice Brady plays her ditsy mother.  Eugene Pallette, plays her rational father totally frustrated with goings on.The other supporting players excellent as well.

On 8/10/2018 at 7:07 PM, EricJ said:

And the Left's big cause in 1938 was to criticize American isolationism as hypocritical, saying that we had a duty to get in there and help Britain stop Hitler, or we'd be fighting him over here before we knew it.

It was that way up until the Molotov-von Ribbentrop Pact in August 1939, at which point America's Communists did a volte face.

I read somewhere that Melvyn Douglas (no right-wing freak he) tried to get Hollywood to condemn the Soviet invasion of Finland, but Hollywood's Communists put the kibosh on that.

Charlton Heston was ahead of his time in Planet of the Apes;)

• Haha 1