Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

Changes Coming for the Academy Awards

161 posts in this topic

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/academy-plans-three-hour-oscars-telecast-adds-popular-film-category-1133138

It all reeks of desperation. The popular film category is a tacky idea meant to lure in viewers and also to stop the glut of "The Oscars never nominate box office hits!" rants that appear every year. To me at least, many of the popular $100-million-and-up films are not very intriguing, give or take a few every year. And the idea of moving some if the tech categories to commercial breaktimes seems unfeeling, unceremonious, and disrespectful.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

HOW RIDICULOUS! So there'll be 2 best picture winners like the first year? They are just demeaning themselves. All for ratings. More time for meaningless tributes and production numbers. Why I dont watch anymore. UGH.

Will there be an "artistic" category?  And  mass audience one? LOL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

FEB 9TH now? maybe we'll be having 31 days of Oscar in JANUARY. KILL ME NOW!

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Hibi said:

FEB 9TH now? maybe we'll be having 31 days of Oscar in JANUARY now. KILL ME NOW!

And it'll be something like 40 Days of Oscar, right?

• Sad 2

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the very first Oscar ceremony did this very same thing, giving Outstanding Picture to the crowd-pleaser Wings, the Top Gun of its day, and Best Unique and Artistic Picture to the heavier Sunrise. After only one year, they did away with the "Unique and Artistic" award. Wings is generally considered in hindsight to be the "real" Best Picture winner that year, according to most media sources, although interestingly the award from that time on has generally been given to the picture that fits the "most artistic" description rather than the "most popular" one.

Anyway, I'm very sure the Academy will make a big deal about this bifurcation being tied back to that very first ceremony and argue that it's not some move of desperation after all.

I'm certainly interested if and how this change in the date will affect TCM programming. TCM execs are no doubt having emergency meetings right now! Possibly, nothing will change. The final few days of 31 Days have been for some years now airing after the ceremony anyway. It could be that now a LOT of days will air after the ceremony!

Just now, sewhite2000 said:

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the very first Oscar ceremony did this very same thing, giving Outstanding Picture to the crowd-pleaser Wings, the Top Gun of its day, and Best Unique and Artistic Picture to the heavier Sunrise. After only one year, they did away with the "Unique and Artistic" award. Wings is generally considered in hindsight to be the "real" Best Picture winner that year, according to most media sources, although interestingly the award from that time on has generally been given to the picture that fits the "most artistic" description rather than the "most popular" one.

Anyway, I'm very sure the Academy will make a big deal about this bifurcation being tied back to that very first ceremony and argue that it's not some move of desperation after all.

I'm certainly interested if and how this change in the date will affect TCM programming. TCM execs are no doubt having emergency meetings right now! Possibly, nothing will change. The final few days of 31 Days have been for some years now airing after the ceremony anyway. It could be that now a LOT of days will air after the ceremony!

Yes, I did. I said like the FIRST YEAR. It was abandoned after that.....

Blockbuster Video had this idea long ago. They had an awards show based on "The top 50 box office hits" of the year. And all the categories were based on only those films.

I think Oscar is trying to tap into that concept to stave off obsolescence . Remember, there was a time when Miss America was a major event. Now they can hardly find a T.V. channel to air the event. Oscar wants to avoid that happening to them.

• Like 1

It will become just a glitzy version of the People's Choice Awards. Sad.

• Like 2

I'll admit I haven't actually been all that interested in the Academy Awards in years of late. I used to enjoy watching when I was younger, but now I feel like they are just pointless. The only awards show I will even watch regularly are the Tony Awards, as I am a theater fan myself, and feel like that one hasn't completely sold out to the network or anything yet. 

• Like 3

"eligibility requirements and other key details will be forthcoming." 

While none of us know the detail,  yea,  it sounds like a really lame idea.

Anyhow,  awards are just a marketing tool and in this regard it might be a very good idea.

• Like 1

Oh brother!

Does that mean any film made by Adam Sandler, Will Farrell, or Jack Black may end up taking home an Oscar? 

Because if that's the case the Academy Awards will end up losing whatever respectability it has left by going this route. It won't be any different (or better) than the MTV Movie Awards.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Oh brother!

Does that mean any film made by Adam Sandler, Will Farrell, or Jack Black may end up taking home an Oscar? 

Because if that's the case the Academy Awards will end up loosing whatever respectability it has left by going this route. It won't be any different (or better) than the MTV Movie Awards.

Probably! LOL. The next change will be Acting awards in the Popular Film Category. So Adam could win someday!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I'll admit I haven't actually been all that interested in the Academy Awards in years of late. I used to enjoy watching when I was younger, but now I feel like they are just pointless. The only awards show I will even watch regularly are the Tony Awards, as I am a theater fan myself, and feel like that one hasn't completely sold out to the network or anything yet. 

Actually, the Academy may be borrowing a page from the Tonys by not showing all the awards presentations live.

• Like 1

I've never agreed with the Tony's decision to do that either. Those winners deserve air time like everyone else! (and once again, it was done to add more production numbers to the show).

I wonder what they are going to name the Best Picture now that they will have a Popular category? Best Unpopular Picture???

What's going to happen if a film gets a nod in BOTH categories? Will it be able to win 2 BEST PICTURE awards? Just crazy. :( How will voters decide how popular a film has to be to be nominated in the Popular category? BY GROSS? (EYEROLL)........

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2018 at 12:32 PM, Ray Faiola said:

Oscar Jumps the Shark!!

With a triple waterski flip.

The problem isn't "The nominees are boring", it's what MADE them boring, by cutting voter time and grabbing all the nominees from the two extremes of the Hollywood-buzz-rumor Golden Globe lists, and the indie-snore National Board of Review and festival lists.  At least we don't have Weinstein/Miramax's nagging to kick around anymore. 

Frustrations about why mainstream Hollywood movies don't make the cut have become "Why can't they be as fun as the Golden Globes?", but let's just say imitating the GG's is not exactly the direction you want to go.

On 8/8/2018 at 12:18 PM, LawrenceA said:

So Black Panther will win the the first Best Popular Film award.

Ladies and gentlemen, the REASON this category was made.  End.  Of.  Story.

It's Pixar and Disney's "Beauty & the Beast" all over again*:  A cult of progressive minded mainstream-grownup voters who'd never seen a Marvel movie in their lives, or at least publicly didn't want to admit they had, wanted to find some excuse to push Black Panther (which frankly wasn't even that good a Marvel movie, compared to Civil War), because the big symbolic social push behind it had validated it as "important"...And not just because they were surprised they liked it.

(Guys...it's okay:  The Oscars are supposed to be about admitting you thought a Picture was Best.  How do you think Field of Dreams and Driving Miss Daisy got up there in the same list with an Oliver Stone Vietnam pic back in '90?...And Daisy won!)

On 8/8/2018 at 2:08 PM, Hibi said:

What's going to happen if a film gets a nod in BOTH categories? Will it be able to win 2 BEST PICTURE awards?

The "historical justification" they'll try to throw out is that the very first Oscars tried to give two Best Pictures, one for a studio-industry Picture, and one for best independent Artistic or Unique Production--
Which was pretty much just an excuse to give another award to FW Murnau's "Sunrise" in 1929 (beating out "Chang" and "The Crowd"), while "Wings" beat out "7th Heaven" for the BP.

The idea was not repeated for "Broadway Melody"'s win in '30.

------

* - Ie., the year the Academy had to come up with a dozen "grownup" reasons for why B&tB "had" to be the first Disney-animated Best Picture--not just because they couldn't publicly admit they liked it--or when the Academy had to change the entire BP rules in '09 because everyone agreed Wall-E could have beaten the pants off of "that Indian movie"...Unless "The Dark Knight" had been up that year!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

FEB 9TH now? maybe we'll be having 31 days of Oscar in JANUARY now. KILL ME NOW!

The article says February 24 is the scheduled telecast date.

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the very first Oscar ceremony did this very same thing, giving Outstanding Picture to the crowd-pleaser Wings, the Top Gun of its day, and Best Unique and Artistic Picture to the heavier Sunrise.

Hibi mentioned it in the third post in the thread.

10 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

The article says February 24 is the scheduled telecast date.

Later in the article there's this:

"The Academy also notified members that the date for the 92nd Oscars — the one that will take place in 2020, honoring the films of 2019 — has been moved up from the previously announced Feb. 23 to Feb 9."

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Later in the article there's this:

"The Academy also notified members that the date for the 92nd Oscars — the one that will take place in 2020, honoring the films of 2019 — has been moved up from the previously announced Feb. 23 to Feb 9."

Let's move it up to early Jan. to get a lead on the Globes..........

27 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Hibi mentioned it in the third post in the thread.

The Academy is going to give her an Oscar for that.  

5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Let's move it up to early Jan. to get a lead on the Globes..........

The Globes will just move to December. The other awards shows will follow.

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The Academy is going to give her an Oscar for that.  

I'll even appear for it!

2 minutes ago, jakeem said:

The Globes will just move to December. The other awards shows will follow.

LOL.