Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

Changes Coming for the Academy Awards

161 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

I'll even appear for it!

You should.   You deserve it more than Adam Sandler. 

The way things are going, it may take less than 500 years before the film "A*s" sweeps the Academy Awards like in the film Idiocracy.

Edited by karlofffan
Changed spelling of quoted fictional film to be acceptable

21 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You should.   You deserve it more than Adam Sandler. 

LOL. A sort of backhanded compliment..........

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I think Oscar is trying to tap into that concept to stave off obsolescence . Remember, there was a time when Miss America was a major event. Now they can hardly find a T.V. channel to air the event. Oscar wants to avoid that happening to them.

Maybe merge two ideas ... I'd consider watching the Oscars if all the presenters were females clad only in bikinis. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Oh brother!

Does that mean any film made by Adam Sandler, Will Farrell, or Jack Black may end up taking home an Oscar? 

Because if that's the case the Academy Awards will end up losing whatever respectability it has left by going this route. It won't be any different (or better) than the MTV Movie Awards.

I like all three of those guys !

1 minute ago, misswonderly3 said:

They've all done good dramatic turns, too.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Maybe merge two ideas ... I'd consider watching the Oscars if all the presenters were females clad only in bikinis. 

Thanks for making my point. Miss America is removing the swimsuit competition. Another institution desperate to stay relevant in 2018.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

Rosie O'Donnell?

1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

Thanks for making my point. Miss America is removing the swimsuit competition. Another institution desperate to stay relevant in 2018.

LOL!

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Will Farrell is ok. But I wouldnt give him an Oscar.

I hope the categories not televised are the short subjects awards, nobody ever sees the films and they have the most boring speeches.

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I did. I said like the FIRST YEAR. It was abandoned after that.....

Sorry, I'm not always the most careful of readers!

2 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Hibi mentioned it in the third post in the thread.

Okay, everyone please keep punching me in the face! Sheesh! Had to be away from my computer for a couple of hours. I was excited when I saw I had two responses to my post and within seconds I have learned that both were to let me know I'm an idiot. Now, I'm less excited.

10 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I hope the categories not televised are the short subjects awards, nobody ever sees the films and they have the most boring speeches.

I'd prefer they promote some site that would allow every one access to see them :)

• Like 3

The time-consuming bits that have always drained my soul have been all the musical numbers (this is NOT the Grammys! We really don't need all five Best Song nominees to perform complete renditions of their songs. We don't have all five Best Actor nominees come out and re-create scenes from their movies) and the let's bring a bunch of celebrities over to the theater next door and surprise all the nobodies who care so little about the Oscars that they're not even watching the ceremony. Why do they deserve to be so honored? Watching ten minutes of them holding up their phones because they can't just live in the moment and have to record everything. Ugh. Why does the Academy think that's important? They eliminated speeches from lifetime honorees years ago - people who actually mattered to the film industry - so they could show Joe Schmo staring into his phone for 10 minutes upon meeting Lupita N'yongo because he is incapable of putting down his phone and looking into the camera.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Sorry, I'm not always the most careful of readers!

That's ok. I just wanted to point out I did.

12 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Okay, everyone please keep punching me in the face! Sheesh! Had to be away from my computer for a couple of hours. I was excited when I saw I had two responses to my post and within seconds I have learned that both were to let me know I'm an idiot. Now, I'm less excited.

LOL! I've forgiven you. Please forgive me.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

The time-consuming bits that have always drained my soul have been all the musical numbers (this is NOT the Grammys! We really don't need all five Best Song nominees to perform complete renditions of their songs. We don't have all five Best Actor nominees come out and re-create scenes from their movies) and the let's bring a bunch of celebrities over to the theater next door and surprise all the nobodies who care so little about the Oscars that they're not even watching the ceremony. Why do they deserve to be so honored? Watching ten minutes of them holding up their phones because they can't just live in the moment and have to record everything. Ugh. Why does the Academy think that's important? They eliminated speeches from lifetime honorees years ago - people who actually mattered to the film industry - so they could show Joe Schmo staring into his phone for 10 minutes upon meeting Lupita N'yongo because he is incapable of putting down his phone and looking into the camera.

That's been my main beef all along. They'd have time for a 3 hour show and all the nominees if they cut all the extraneous nonsense. Have ONE production number and be done with it! All the host nonsense as well.(bits trying to be funny). I really miss the honorary awards as well. That was one of my favorite segments. Now that they've expanded the Best Picture category, they have to show clips from each film (just show a clip when they announce the award, like they used to) And now with a Best Popular Film category, MORE CLIPS!

I don't mind the emcee bits for the most parts (though there are some I like more than others), but yes, the musical numbers drag the show on longer than need be.

I wish they would have kept showing the honorary Oscars on the show though, at least for those from the studio era. Lauren Bacall would have gotten a really big standing ovation if she had been on the telecast, and I think it's a disgrace that the Academy didn't allow her to receive her honor on the show rather than on the non-telecast ceremony. I would have loved to have heard what she had to say.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I don't mind the emcee bits for the most parts (though there are some I like more than others), but yes, the musical numbers drag the show on longer than need be.

I wish they would have kept showing the honorary Oscars on the show though, at least for those from the studio era. Lauren Bacall would have gotten a really big standing ovation if she had been on the telecast, and I think it's a disgrace that the Academy didn't allow her to receive her honor on the show rather than on the non-telecast ceremony. I would have loved to have heard what she had to say.

Their original idea was to help trim the running time of the main awards show, and that I can understand. I like that since they've created the separate event (called the Governor's Ball) they have added more honorary winners each year, so that instead of the one or two that used to win per year during the televised years, now they give 4 or 5 each year.

I also think that they should televise the Governor's Ball. If a regular network (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) doesn't want to air it, show it on TCM or some other cable channel, unedited (live preferably), so that we can see/hear all of the testimonials, honorariums, and thank you speeches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

...And the idea of moving some if the tech categories to commercial breaktimes seems unfeeling, unceremonious, and disrespectful.

It is disrespectful. It's bad enough they get "played off" nearly 30 sec after they begin their acceptance speeches. Let them have their day in the sun; a win is a win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I go to see them every year the weekend before the awards! It's about a 4 hr marathon. They show the live action nominees, then the animated ones. It's usually at The Century Theatres.

I'm with mr6666, though; promote a site that allows access to them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

I'd prefer they promote some site that would allow every one access to see them :)

Yes, show them on the TCM website so we can get picture freeze, sound out of sync, white lines, screens going dark, spam attacks ... and for those who use Internet Explorer, you are so screwed.

• Haha 2