Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

Changes Coming for the Academy Awards

161 posts in this topic

Here's the new Oscar statuette they are proposing to go with the new award to ensure that comic book movies and other crap get recognized.

superman.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, but you've apparently seen more quality stuff, whereas I've seen 75 Hercules movies, and dozens of "Attack of the..." movies and "Night of the..." movies.

I know. I wasn't brought up right.

31 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

ABC Was The Oscar Changes Instigator

Further details have come to light in the wake of yesterday’s shock announcement regarding the addition of a ‘Popular Movie’ category at the annual Academy Awards event.

Variety has posted a report suggesting the changes that have just been announced were the result of pressure from Disney-ABC Television Group executives in the wake of the poor ratings for this year’s ceremony.

ABC has a pact with AMPAS to broadcast the Oscars through 2028 and so is keen to make it work, but the viewership fell to 26.6 million viewers earlier this year – a steeper decline than the also dwindling figures of other awards ceremonies like the Grammys.

So ABC execs met with AMPAS and after studying ratings carefully, they made the recommendations of reigning in the show’s length, the moving up of the ceremony to an early calendar period and a proposed ‘best blockbuster’ category.

The first two changes have so far been met far more positively, though the shorter length has been revealed to be partly achieved by moving several awards categories into commercial breaks with those smaller awards being announced later in the broadcast with a quick montage.

It’s the popular film awards where both criticism and questions still linger, but ABC is reportedly quite happy with the changes and likely won’t budge on them despite the backlash because they perceive changes to an old institution like the Oscars often yields complaints. AMPAS also issued the following statement:

“While the details for a popular film category are still being finalized, a single film is eligible for an Oscar in both categories – Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film and the Academy Award for Best Picture. The new category will be introduced this coming year, at the 91st Oscars. In creating this award, the Board of Governors supports broad-based consideration of excellence in all films.”

Amusingly ABC has shot itself in the bit somewhat here. Consultants were hired to push “Black Panther” as a serious contender for a potential Best Picture nomination – now it will be exiled to the ‘Popular Movie’ category which is being labelled as a deeply condescending honor.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/abc-was-the-oscar-changes-instigator/

I'm quoting here because this post got moved to the previous page and it's worth reading.

thank you, Lawrence.

ps- wow, just...wow.

Reminder: ABC is the broadcast partner for the Oscars through 2028 and is a Disney property, which owns the rights to:

- Marvel Cinematic Universe

- Star Wars

- Pixar

...and will own after acquiring FOX:

- X-Men (+Deadpool)

- The Predator

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

HONESTLY, the AMPAS can do whatever they want. I been rill damn OVER the Oscars for a while...

I JUST TRULY WISH, FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY SHRIVELED, TAR-BLACK HEART THAT TCM WOULD KILL 31 DAYS OF OSCAR.

END IT.

CEASE IT.

STOP IT.

NOW AND FOREVER.

FOR EVER AND EVER, AMEN.

WE HATE IT, YOU HATE IT, I KNOW I DON'T SPEAK FOR EVERYONE HERE, BUT- SERIOUSLY- EVERYONE HATES IT, EVEN IF THEY SAY THEY DON'T.

In fact, if TCM is genuinely interested in relevance, I daresay FEBRUARY become 28 (or possibly 29 depending on the year) DAYS OF NO OSCARS AT ALL, and EVERYTHING they show had to have been something that got NOT ONE SINGLE NOMINATION.

I'm not going to make much headway arguing against your impassioned red type. And you are certainly in the vast majority among the TCM viewers who are also on the message boards. I was actually quite surprised when I first got on these message boards how much everybody around here hates it. I'm uncertain what percentage of total TCM viewership we actually represent. I just know that about the only time TCM gets any national media coverage at all, ever, is every year during 31 Days month. I wouldn't be able to provide the source, but I'm sure I've read before TCM's viewership is higher that month than any other month of the year. Even though the head of TCM programming once said the network doesn't care about ratings, I assume the annual increased viewership is probably enough to keep it going.

But just so you know everybody doesn't hate 31 Days, I'd like to state for the record that it was the whole reason I started watching TCM after I read an article that made me aware the format even existed. And I still get jazzed about it every year. I can't deny that it's lost a bit of its luster for me. Next February will be my 19th 31 Days, I think, so, you know, I've seen a lot of the same films over and over. But every year, I eagerly scan the listings to find what I haven't seen or what's premiering that year like I've just opened a Christmas present.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

(Tongue was in cheek for much of that), I know that- much like Christmas- even though everything entailed with the occasion fills me with dread, there are people out there who enjoy and (shudder!) even look forward to it every year.

• Haha 1

Dumbing Down Of The Oscars. A sadly growing trend in politics and our society in general. Appealing not necessarily to the majority masses, but to those masses willing to shell $$ out for tickets to the latest movie that doesn't require heavy lifting of the brain. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, drednm said:

Here's the new Oscar statuette they are proposing to go with the new award to ensure that comic book movies and other crap get recognized.

superman.jpg

LOL! And it'll be made of cheap plastic...........

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm quoting here because this post got moved to the previous page and it's worth reading.

thank you, Lawrence.

ps- wow, just...wow.

JUST AWFUL. So much for Oscar integrity. It's in the toilet now...........what a laughingstock!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(Tongue was in cheek for much of that), I know that- much like Christmas- even though everything entailed with the occasion fills me with dread, there are people out there who enjoy and (shudder!) even look forward to it every year.

5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I suppose it draws in some new viewers (whether they stay is another matter), but for old time viewers it the same movies shown over and over again (that are mostly shown throughout the year anyway). Once in awhile, something new will be shown or not shown very often. I always catch up on my reading in Feb.........If it were done only during certain hours, I wouldnt mind it so much.........(31 Days of Oscar, I mean)......

4 hours ago, jakeem said:

Reminder: ABC is the broadcast partner for the Oscars through 2028 and is a Disney property, which owns the rights to:

- Marvel Cinematic Universe

- Star Wars

- Pixar

...and will own after acquiring FOX:

- X-Men (+Deadpool)

- The Predator

This post confirmed what I stated;  Industry awards are a marketing tool, and always have been.   Note that the Grammy awards make changes,  like adding additional music genre categories,  to broaden their marketing  demographic.

So to me,  this latest change to the Oscars falls under 'what took them so long'.     

Oh, and those that are shaking their heads crying foul;   well at least they didn't add 'diversity' categories.        

Cant wait to see this awarded next year. Want to see if the presenter keeps a straight face. LMREO!

33 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Cant wait to see this awarded next year. Want to see if the presenter keeps a straight face. LMREO!

Most likely the Academy will hire two industry types (actors\directors) that are mostly known for the type of films that will be part of the 'popular' film category.    Therefore they will keep a straight face and take the award seriously because this new category means more money in their pocket.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

JUST AWFUL. So much for Oscar integrity. It's in the toilet now...........what a laughingstock!

I wonder in a way if after a year, they will call off the category....if they even wait that long

48 minutes ago, Hibi said:

They're gonna get Faye and Warren to present.

**Probably because they're about the only two people in Hollywood who wouldn't say "no."

5 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I wonder in a way if after a year, they will call off the category....if they even wait that long

All depends on the impact to the T.V. ratings and how films from studios that make these 'popular' films (e.g. Disney) do with their pre and post marketing efforts.     Again, the reason for changes comes under 'follow the money';  IF the money is there,  the changes are great, by definition, and therefore they wouldn't get rid of them.

10 hours ago, jakeem said:

Seriously, this “best pop movie” category is the worst idea the Academy has had since they asked me to sing with Snow White.

Y'know, to be fair, it technically wasn't JUST Rob Lowe & Snow White that killed off the Oscar Opening Production Number...

They did have a little help from Pat Morita, Dom DeLuise and Telly Savalas (who was doing a series of Vegas-club spokesman ads at the time), too, two years before:

That was 1987, and Rob & Snow was 1989.  Billy Crystal was 1988.  :D

Amusingly ABC has shot itself in the bit somewhat here. Consultants were hired to push “Black Panther” as a serious contender for a potential Best Picture nomination – now it will be exiled to the ‘Popular Movie’ category which is being labelled as a deeply condescending honor.

What, the...wait!!  The whole Panther-mania was just a network ABC Disney-plug??  Aww...Well, that just stinks.  :(

And here I was thinking that the big push to "recognize" Black Panther was the Academy voters' own "Marvel is the New Pixar" attempt to try and get, quote-fingers, "validation" for being grownup voters who liked, quote-fingers "kiddy" films, and tried use some big social pretentions to give it some importance---Like they did with Beauty & the Beast, Mad Max, Driving Miss Daisy,  and ten years of Pixar movies!  Y'know, the first ray of hope, a subconscious zeitgeist display that even the voters were getting sick of Sundance, and wanted "their" movies to be nominated again!

If it is ABC's meddling, it only emphasizes the one basic rule of fixing the Oscars or the hosts:  FORGET.  THE FREAKIN'.  TV.  Just go out on stage, praise the winners, entertain the attendees, and rhapsodize about their industry, that's what you're in the theater to do. Up to the 50's or 60's, they never even used to show us that, except on radio or newsreels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I sorta doubt this new proposed "award" has that much to do with TV ratings. I think it has more to do with box office for an Oscar "winner" and all the related salabilities (blu-ray, dvd, streaming, television showings, etc) as well as theatrical re-releases and franchising endless sequels.

Just about the lamest idea ever.  With the expansion of Best Film nominations to 10, there already is inclusion for popular popcorn movies that are halfway decent.

13 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL! And it'll be made of cheap plastic...........

...And with a "recycle" icon on the bottom.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

They're gonna get Faye and Warren to present.

**Probably because they're about the only two people in Hollywood who wouldn't say "no."

SOOO APPROPRIATE!!!!  LMREO!

15 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

All depends on the impact to the T.V. ratings and how films from studios that make these 'popular' films (e.g. Disney) do with their pre and post marketing efforts.     Again, the reason for changes comes under 'follow the money';  IF the money is there,  the changes are great, by definition, and therefore they wouldn't get rid of them.

Well, follow the money is not what the awards are supposed to be awarded for, but sadly that's the reasoning now. Ratings and money. If voters thought these films were good, they would make the cut as nominees. They expanded the best picture nominees hoping blockbusters would be included, that didnt work, so now they are doing this. The problem seems to be that Academy Voters dont pander to the public and the board/network wants them to, so now they'll be forced to..........