Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

Changes Coming for the Academy Awards

161 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, it was the Best Picture Oscar winner for 2001(the year the movie was released), and it won in 2002 (the year the ceremony took place).

I don't see your point as it relates to my comment on Eric's post, though, as whether one considers the release year or the ceremony year, no one was taking bets on Lord of the Rings winning anything in 2005.

Okay, so I got a year off...Nitpicker.  Would it save the last six paragraphs if I just used the Edit button??  ?

Numbers corrected, the point still stands:  Boy, did every showoff THINK they knew what an Oscar film was "supposed" to be, other than just the darn best and most competently made in its genre the studios could produce that year.  Black Panther isn't a great Marvel movie, but at least it's no "Thor: Ragnarok", and if you had to put one commercial movie up this year to show the industry and posterity how to make one, you could do a lot worse.  (We still have Globies keeping an "Oscar watch" on Lady Gaga's movie and the Mamma Mia sequel.)

Although it does relate to jakeem's "A Beautiful Mind" comment, as '02 was the year the Academy, wowed at the last minute by a late December Oscar-run release, thought that the "Heartfelt, visionary, mindbending" ABM "should" have been the Oscar front-runner, and that Fellowship of the Ring was "too commercial".  When the craze cooled and they regretted it almost immediately later, the whole discussion turned to "Oh well, it's a trilogy, let's give the award to ALL THREE, two years from now..."

Yes, but if you watched this year's ceremonies, they were constantly referring to the "wrong" year, which drove me crazy. They introduced Eva Marie Saint as "the Best Supporting Actress winner of 1955", when she'd always been traditionally thought of as the winner for 1954 until a few years ago. They introduced Warren Beatty and Faye Dunnaway as "stars of Bonnie and Clyde, a Best Picture nominee from 1968", when until a few years ago they would have said 1967. They introduced Rita Moreno as "the Best Supporting Actress winner of 1962", when Robert Osborne would have called her the winner of 1961. See the trend?

Now ... is that because the Academy has an agenda to change all these years to represent the year of the ceremony and not the year of the picture? Or is it because the people who write these introductions are having to look up the years of these winners and nominees on Google because they don't know off the top of their heads, and these are the results they're getting?

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Now ... is that because the Academy has an agenda to change all these years to represent the year of the ceremony and not the year of the picture?

This reminds me of "Quiz Show" where the John Turturro character is forced to give the wrong answer to the Oscar winning Best Picture of 1955. "Marty" was the Best Picture winner released in 1955 but he said "On The Waterfront" which was the Best Picture released in 1954 but the ceremony was in 1955.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

This reminds me of "Quiz Show" where the John Turturro character is forced to give the wrong answer to the Oscar winning Best Picture of 1955. "Marty" was the Best Picture winner released in 1955 but he said "On The Waterfront" which was the Best Picture released in 1954 but the ceremony was in 1955.

I'm glad you said that! Because I mentioned that in the thread I started back in February! That's perfect proof things have changed! Turturro begs the producer played by David Paymer that he not be made to lose on such a simple question. Back then, everyone understood Marty was the Best Picture winner of 1955,, and this is represented by dozens of people shouting "Marty!" at their TV sets before Turturro gives the wrong answer (and this movie is based on real events, so I believe this is the actual question Herbie Stempel agreed to get wrong).

Today, because of the change of how the years are considered, whether it's deliberate manipulation by the Academy or not, if Stempel/Turturo said On the Waterfront was the Best Picture winner of 1955 on a TV quiz show, he'd be RIGHT! And that, in my mind, is just wrong! If a young person who's only known the new numbering system watches Quiz Show today, he/she is going to be really confused.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Agreed. And that was a plot point of critical importance to the chain of the events in the film.

On 8/10/2018 at 9:33 PM, cody1949 said:

What piece of schlock took in the most money from the masses in 2018 ?  Now which presenter will have the courage to say it.?

LOL!!! Will voters actually watch the films to vote on them???

On 8/10/2018 at 9:13 PM, drednm said:

The ratings don't put money directly into the studio coffers.

No, but ABC isnt going to keep running (nor other big networks) the Oscars if ratings are low. And they see this as luring viewers back........

Why dont they just run a 90 minute show and just have the top awards. Acting; Picture; Director; Screenplay. Short show and ratings will improve. Have the rest given off camera. Problem solved? :D

40 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Why dont they just run a 90 minute show and just have the top awards. Acting; Picture; Director; Screenplay. Short show and ratings will improve. Have the rest given off camera. Problem solved? :D

Uh,  a show that was half as long,  would have to have twice the ratings, to net around the same ad revenue.

I.e. the 'problem' was the show wasn't making enough money.  

Just put the damn thing on pay-per-view. Then anything goes. Robert DeNiro can walk out on stage and say "F Trump" as much as he likes (no doubt the audience will join in). Kim Kardashian can prance around wearing nothing at all. And the best actor award will be decided by a battle royale inside a steel cage, with special guest referee Harvey Weinstein.

• Haha 1

Adding a "popular" category just to boost ratings of a once-a-year TV show seems to run contrary to the real, lofty purpose of the show, which is to celebrate the arts and sciences of films.  Plus, it won't work.  Any extraneous stuff will be seen as just as irrelevant and distracting as all those political speeches in today's award shows.  

The industry used to frown upon political speeches in award shows.  The Academy actually banned Richard Gere for years after he made a political speech about Tibet on the show.  Now, times have changed.

1 hour ago, DVDPhreak said:

The industry used to frown upon political speeches in award shows.  The Academy actually banned Richard Gere for years after he made a political speech about Tibet on the show.  Now, times have changed.

Yeah, but Gere -- who's never been nominated for an Academy Award -- was a presenter. How could they have stopped Vanessa Redgrave or Marlon Brando from saying what was on their minds? By the way, those were two of the great moments in Oscars history.

8 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Yeah, but Gere -- who's never been nominated for an Academy Award -- was a presenter. How could they have stopped Vanessa Redgrave or Marlon Brando from saying what was on their minds? By the way, those were two of the great moments in Oscars history.

The Academy could have forced them to remain in the looker room.

6 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Brando did that on his own.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jakeem said:

By the way, those were two of the great moments in Oscars history.

As was Pilobolus on Ellen DeGeneres's '07 hosting:

(Which I always put second to Cirque du Soleil's '02 appearance as evidence-for-the-defense toward Why to Leave the Entertainment Numbers IN.)  :D

3 hours ago, jakeem said:

LOL.

My favorite production number was Pharrell Williams' energetic performance of Best Song nominee "Happy" at the 86th Academy Awards on March 2, 2014. Williams, who wrote the song for "Despicable Me 2," even interacted with nominees Lupita Nyong'o, Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. Unfortunately for him, the song lost the Oscar to "Let It Go" from "Frozen." But it was a worldwide No. 1 hit. The number's choreography was by Fatima Robinson.

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Brando wasnt even there...........

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

My favorite production number was Pharrell Williams' energetic performance of Best Song nominee "Happy" at the 86th Academy Awards on March 2, 2014. Williams, who wrote the song for "Despicable Me 2," even interacted with nominees Lupita Nyong'o, Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. Unfortunately for him, the song lost the Oscar to "Let It Go" from "Frozen." But it was a worldwide No. 1 hit.

The "Triplets of Belleville" theme was also a lively defense of the Best Song number:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w6IAXW3qe8

Oh, and I DID already mention Cirque du Soleil's '02 salute to great moments in Best Visual Effects, right?  :)

16 hours ago, EricJ said:

The "Triplets of Belleville" theme was also a lively defense of the Best Song number:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w6IAXW3qe8

Oh, and I DID already mention Cirque du Soleil's '02 salute to great moments in Best Visual Effects, right?  :)

Yes, I remember that number and bought the soundtrack because of it! (and I dont remember many BEST SONG numbers)......

With 1.4 Billion Chinese, and 1.4 Billion Indians, you know if they started seriously making and counting their popular films there would be any US films in the Pop film Oscars category. lol

I think the change was due to the commercial and critical success of the Marvel franchise, for example Black Panther, and also DC Entertainment's Wonder Woman.  This then begs the question, why not simply nominate these films for Best Picture? My sense is the Academy views them as escapist entertainment, albeit with artistic merit.  The Oscars aren’t perfect, and never will be because art is ultimately subjective.  I read that Disney lobbied hard for the change because they own Marvel Studios, and they own ABC which televises the show.

Yep. I wonder what the criteria will be for Best Popular Picture? Has to gross over 100 million? They tried this by expanding the best picture nominees to more than five, but that didnt work. You cant change people's opinions. They may have liked a "popular" picture, that doesnt mean they are going to nominate it! (Academy Voters)

What happens if Black Panther gets nominated in BOTH categories? There is NO RULE a POPULAR picture wont turn up with a BEST PICTURE nomination! It DOES happen!