Sign in to follow this  
Swithin

Fun Home at the Young Vic in London

2 posts in this topic

The only gay-themed play I saw in London this visit was the American Tony-Award winning (2015) musical Fun Home, which recently opened at the Young Vic. I hadn't seen it in NY and enjoyed it. It's a coming of age story of a lesbian (Alison Bechdel) and is very engaging and well done. The depiction of the gay father is problematic, though; I found it somewhat offensive; but it was based on the author's real father.

But the audience! I haven't seen so many lesbians since I had to meet someone at Henrietta on Hudson during Pride Week several years ago. I think there aren't as many lesbian-coming-of-age plays as there are about gay men. The performances were great. It was nice seeing Zubin Varla as the gay father. I remember him as a lad, in the play Beautiful Thing.

Those lesbian haircuts tho! Do we gay men have a haircut that identifies us? The women certainly do, and it was all over the Young Vic, on the night I was there.

Here's a review of the show:

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/jun/28/fun-home-review-alison-bechdel-musical-graphic-novel-memoir

• Like 1

The musical was quite successful in its' New York run at Circle-In-The-Square, Uptown.

92515-16.jpg

• Like 1