Sign in to follow this  
Guest son, jery

The Sexiest!

335 posts in this topic

Guest son, jery

Why is Clark Gable so much sexier than today's crop of boy toys? Why do Clara Bow and Norma Shearer and Betty Grable all exude such potent sex appeal--something lacking in our modern crop of Julias and Sandras and Gwynth's? Who are the sexiest movie stars of all time? Why do you think so? Let's hear from you!

Guest o, rita

I can't think of one current star that has that "star quality", charisma, or exudes sex appeal. The stars who had it IMHO are: Ava Gardner Lana Turner Marlene Dietrich Marilyn Monroe Elizabeth Taylor Paul Newman Henry Fonda Frank Sinatra Dorothy Dandridge

Guest olmsted, l

I'm so glad this discussion was posted. I had thought about posting one like it myself. Rita, I love your picks! In fact Ava, Marilyn, and Frank are on my favorites list. Others that follow are: Marlon Brando, Montgomery Clift, Maximillian Schell, Stewart Granger. I'll add Robert Wagner in there too because he's just fun to look at. As for the women, that's tougher because hardly anyone comes close to Ava and Marilyn. I'll add, though, Heddy Lamar, Cyd Charisse, and Louise Brooks.

Guest o, rita

Hi, Olmstead! I'm glad you agree. But, how could I forget Marlon, and Hedy Lamarr! My list was off the top of my head, but I'll remember so more. What do you think about William Powell....adding him to the list?

Guest mongo

Star quality, looks and sex appeal equal Rita Hayworth and Robert Taylor. Just watch "Gilda" and "Waterloo Bridge" for the proof. Veronica Lake, William Holden, Betty Grable and Tyrone Power had it too.

Guest olmsted, l

Rita, I do that all the time--forget some people. Actually, I never thought of William Powell as sexy, but I do really like him as an actor. But add whoever you like! :)

Guest son, jery

okay, now here's something truly offbeat: after I watched Rockcliffe Fellowes and Anna Q. Nilson in the l915 "Regeneration" (a masterpiece! you gotta see this one) I was spellbound. Rockcliffe looked just like Marlon Brando! God, he was sexy, macho and just oozed virility, and those dark eyes of his! Anna Q. was amazingly pretty, because she didn't wear that white, zombie-make-up and black lipstick they all sported back then. And here's another really old-timer; Robert Warwick. I caught him in a l914 movie, "A Girl's Folly," and boy, was he ever a sizzling hunk. He went on to play supporting roles in talkies but these young bucks were oh, boy, the hottest things in movies back then! Valentino had nothing on these two hotties!

Guest o, rita

Mongo, I was going to add Rita to my list, Lena Horne, and Tyrone Power!

Guest o, rita

Jery son, what happened to these silent screen stars. I've never heard of the men you just mentioned. It appears they didn't even last into the twenties.

Guest Nine, Seven of

OHHHH Speaking of old school **** how about John Wayne yeah he was **** back in da day Former Prez Ronald Reagan On lady side how about ex Mrs Bob Waterfield Jane Russell well Lambs's Bobby dump her well what do you expect from LAMBS Also don't forget how about Ava Garnder you know Second Mrs Frank Sinatra Even Frankie couldn't tame her

Guest Lorusso, Ed

William Haines, John Gilbert, Gary Cooper, Gene Raymond, Kay Francis, Gloria Swanson, Rita Hayworth, William Holden, Jeanette MacDonald, Jean Harlow, Cary Grant, Irene Dunne, Myrna Loy, Carole Lombard, Jean Arthur, Marlene Dietrich, Joan Blondell--all in their younger days of course!

Guest son, jery

Rita, the gorgeous Rockliffe Fellowes and Robert Warwick were both has-beens by the end of l919. A real tragedy. But then all those beautiful gals and guys in that era never made it into the Jazz Age. Florence Lawrence is certainly one, as well as the fabulous Fannie Ward (you should see this woman perform in "The Cheat"--1915). Warwick became a suporting actor. I caught him in "Dr. X" and he was still handsome but nothing like his appearance in "A Girl's Folly." As for Rockliffe (oh, how i love that name)he appeared now and then in silents. Everyone owes it themselves to catch this phenomenal hunk in "Regeneration", his l915 masterpiece. Kino puts it out. I got mine at the library. Again, Rockliffe looks amazingly like Marlon Brando. And with a body to die for.

Guest K, Sandy

Hmmm...I'd have to say Cary Grant and Clark Gable (although according to Carole Lombard, Pappy wasn't a very good lay) stand out for me. I always found Cagney kind of sexy. That intensity, you know, seems like he'd be good in bed. And Joel McRae and Fred MacMurray because they seem so sweet underneath those broad shoulders. And Paul Newman is STILL hot! For women, Marilyn, of course, and Elizabeth Taylor. Alice Faye with that low voice and buxom figure. Betty Grable because she seems so open and free. As for today's stars, I do like George Clooney. He has a rakish charm. He seems the closest thing today to an old-fashioned movie star in terms of looks and personality. And I find Johnny Depp to be quite sexy. He's quirky and a little strange, but I dig that. I think Denzel Washington is pretty sexy-I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers!

Guest olmsted, l

That is so funny that you said that about George Clooney. I had always thought that he was the only actor who exuded the same kind of presense as my classic favorites. Also about Gable, though I find him very sexy, I heard that he had really bad breath and was not a very good conversationalist. Most of his communications consisted of something like, "Um, uh, hi, yeah..." Oh, well, I can have my illusions!

Guest son, jery

Clark Gable may have exuded pure sex on the screen but as Sandy points out, Carole Lombard was pretty graphic about his shortcomings in the bedroom. Billy Haines was also quite dissapointed with Gable's boudoir skills. Since Haines was a good buddy to George Cukor, this is beleived one reason Gable didn't want Cukor as director of GWTW--Also, in "Fasten Your Seatbelts", the bio on Bette Davis, she gets downright vicious about why she never thought Gable was the "King" of sex.

Guest o, rita

Jery son, is it Bette that made the comment "one more inch and he would have been the queen of hollywood"! But, I aso heard that Claudette Colbert said that wasn't true about Gable. Actually, it was John Wayne that the comment should have been about.

Guest Zolkov, Bob

In the male category, Clark Gable and Cary Grant epitomize masculine virtues. However, there is only one actress who stands out alone.....Marilyn Monroe. There are, of course, other lovelies such as Ava Gardner, Lana Turner, Betty Grable, Jane Russell, Rita Hayworth and Jennifer Jones to name just a few, but none that combine the voluptuous beauty and vulnerbility of Marilyn Monroe.

Guest mongo

If anyone could have told you all about Gable in the bedroom it was Joan Crawford. She said he was the perfect speciman of masculinity. The bedroom was a place where he "was" the king.

Guest Alix

I think TCM showed REGENERATION, and I caught it on tape. I agree with you on Rockliffe Fellowes--I remember at the time I saw it thinking, "Oh my gosh....!" He was definitely a stunner! And the film was very good too. Kind of preachy, if I remember it right. Okay...here is my list of sexiest men & women: Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, William Powell (yes! check him out in JEWEL ROBBERY with Kay Francis), William Haines, Ramon Novarro Clara Bow, Jean Harlow (sexiest two women ever on the screen!)

Guest Alix

I thought Lombard said "one more inch..."

Guest Lorusso, Ed

Great lists all!!! Lana Turner and Betty Grable were so phony they rank as zeroes with me. But there is Veronica Lake (much maligned today)as well as Ginger Rogers, Dirk Bogarde, Dolores Costello, Barbara LaMarr, Rudy Valentino, Jane Greer, Merle Oberon, Dou Fairbanks JR, Nancy Carroll (remember her?), and Alice White--the delightful flapper star........

Guest K, Sandy

Realized back there in my post I listed Joel McRae--I believe it's Joel McCrea-sorry! Since we're talking Hollywood hearsay, Clara Bow claimed that Gary Cooper was very well-endowed. I just don't find him particularly sexy, though. I did like the sparks between him and Stanwyck in BALL OF FIRE. She could be one sexy dame.

Guest olmsted, l

I have to add to my list Rossano Brazzi. He is by far one of the sexiest actors ever to grace the screen. I mean, just listen to that voice! I also failed to mention Tony Curtis with those GORGEOUS eyes and James Garner.

Guest Alix

Oh! I loved Rossano Brazzi in THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN. Did he do any other movies? And you're so right about that voice....

Guest son, jery

Rod Taylor! Wow, I can just think of his name and get goose pimples. He was so gorgeous in "The Birds" and "The Time Machine." There's a website devoted to the glorious Rod that actually shows him not wearing his--eh--shirt! Ohhh la la! Buddy Rogers was an adorable doll. Buster Crabbe was also gorgeous, along with that jungle cutie pie, Johnny sheffield (Bomba the Jungle Boy.)But--the fact remains that Rockliffe Fellowes was the Adonis of the l900s. Richard Barthelmess and Johnny Mack Brown were my hearthrobs of the Roaring 20s.