Sign in to follow this  
Guest son, jery

The Sexiest!

335 posts in this topic

Guest son, jery

Rita and Alix, you are so on target about the gorgeous but tragic John Gilbert. And compared to today's crop of boy toys? Fuggadaboutit! Younger movie buffs think that just because a legendary star is "old", they're jokes. Gilbert and Garbo were so great together because they both had phenomenal electricty. But in "The Merry Widow," I really got what Gilbert was all about.

Guest mongo

The dashing John Gilbert must have had something since Dietrich was also attracted to him. I guess all was well in the boudoir as long as he didn't talk. Only kidding.

Guest K, Sandy

Right on about Ava Gardner, mongo! I just watched EAST SIDE, WEST SIDE yesterday and I was knocked out once again by her beauty and sex appeal.

Guest K, Sandy

Okay, I finally saw Ramon Navarro in something-MATA HARI. I thought that he was pleasant looking, but one of the sexiest? Too much of a boy, not enough of a MAN! Give me John Gilbert any day!

Guest mongo

Just watched a chestnut from 1932 on PBS titled "Mr. Robinson Crusoe" with Douglas Fairbanks Sr. It was Island hokum at its best and he called the Island girl (Maria Alba) Saturday!!! Mr. Fairbanks didn't impress me as being a matinee idol since he appeared a bit pudgy or maybe stocky. He was however athletic and acrobatic which probably thrilled the ladies at the time.

Guest o, rita

Mongo, Fairbanks, Sr. was a middle aged leading man in 1932. Remember, that's when Fairbanks, Jr. was beginning his career as a young leading man. Perhaps, having an adult son being billed as Fairbanks, Jr., made him look old to the public. As you said he was still active and athletic on the screen. Dietrich referred to him as "that pretty son" of Sr.'s. Maria Riva alluded to her mother's affair with Jr. in the 30's. However, she never divulged his name. I guessed it was him from her description and photos of the two of them together as they were attempting to be discreet. The photos of them were taken in Europe. Maria described Jr. as a "wannabe English gentlemen, hanging out with the aristocracy. i.e. Duke and Duchess of Windsor, D & D of Kent, etc. She indicated he was somewhat pompous. She never considered him one of her ersatz father figures,e.g. John Gilbert; she adored him. It was said that Sr. was resentful and a little jealous of Jr.'s emergence on the silver screen. I guess Sr. still thought of himself as the action-hero, leading man, of more then twenty years by 1932.

Guest Alix

I loved Fairbanks, Sr. in a movie called REACHING FOR THE MOON. He plays a rich tycoon who's devoid of skills with the ladies. He falls hard for Bebe Daniels, and aviatrix, and who in their right mind wouldn't fall for her! He's witty in this one, handsome, and of course throws in some Fairbanks athletics. For a transitional film, with a former silent star, I really like it and him!

Guest son, jery

I think I saw Fairbanks Sr. in "Robinson Crusoe" and at the time I, too, thought he was strangely portly to be playing such an outdoorsy role. Isn't this the one where he wore that horrible black lipstick that all those men wore in the early talkies? Also, Fairbanks Jr. became so British-fied that he became sort of a joke in Hollywood and England. Yes, it's true, that Fairbanks Sr. did everything he could to discourage his son to enter "flickers.' It was another case of that ole debbil rivalry.

Guest mongo

Thank's Rita and Alix for your input regarding Douglas Fairbanks Sr. I have to make it my business to see one of his silent films when he was in his prime. I did however like his son who impressed me in some good movies. I believe that he was once married to diva Joan Crawford.

Guest olmsted, l

Sandy, I completely agree with you. I kept thinking, what is all the rave about? Like you, I thought he was cute, but not a sexy beast. As for Gilbert and all the references to his high voice, I read that studio heads had it out for him over some dispute and that they actually fooled with the soundtrack to make him sound more feminine? Does anyone know if this is actually true?

Guest olmsted, l

I can't believe no one has mentioned the gorgeous Norma Shearer. Not only was this woman a great talent, but she had a voice like velvet! And those eyes! They always seemed to suggest something like she knew something no one else did. She was one hot lady.

Guest o, rita

You're right about that Mongo; he was married to Joan. She acquired the "class" she was seeking when married to Jr. She was clueless when they first got together to the chagrin of Doug and Mary. I guess Jr. "schooled her". I read that one day on set of film she was acting in she blurted out "oh, ****"!

Guest o, rita

Olmstead, don't mean to cast expursions on your girl, Norma; however, I read the cameraman worked very hard on those eyes of Norma's. Apparently, it was of great concern of Irving as her eyes were "beady" and close together. Apparently, if she was not lit properly or certain camera angles made her look cross-eyed. Elinor Glyn< after watching one of Norma's films, commented she had "such teeney eyes" .

Guest son, jery

I always thought Norma Shearer was a unique beauty. She just exuded sensuality, especially in those sheer silk gowns she wore and no underwear beneath them. There's a bio out about her. Before she died at the Motion Picture Rest Home, she used to wander the hallways there, a long mane of silver hair, combed down her back, and she'd stop people and say: "Are you Irving? Tell Bill Daniels I'll be on the set in just a minute." Irving, of course, was her husband, Irving thalberg and Bill Daniels was MGM's great camera man, William Daniels. So sad.

Guest olmsted, l

I see what you mean about her eyes being small, cross-eyed, etc. I noticed that the first few times I watched her in movies, but boy, when they got it right, they sure looked gorgeous! And as Jery was saying about her in those gowns of the '30's--she had the perfect body for those costumes.

Guest Alix

Actually Norma did have one eye that had a cast in it. She worked very hard to control the muscles and keep it in line. Watch the breakfast scene of PRIVATE LIVES...it contains the most troublesome moments "eye-wise." Norma looked stunning in those satin gowns sans underwear! I love her clothes in A FREE SOUL and the smart business attire she wears in THE DIVORCEE. The one thing I always felt Norma needed in the beauty department was a decent hairdresser! Another beauty in bad need of a new hairdresser was Kay Francis. OH MY...did Kay have some atrocious looking hair in some of her movies!

Guest mongo

Thanks to her films on TCM I was introduced to the lovely Norma Shearer and the more I see of her the more I adore her. I was familiar with "Escape" which was made at the end of her film career where she wasn't used to such a good advantage. However when I watched her in "The Women", "Strange Interlude", "Marie Antoinette", "A Free Soul" and "The Barretts of Wimpole Street" I went bonkers. She had that movie star magnetism especially in "The Women" and it was her eyes I was most attracted to. Miss Shearer was quite a lady.

Guest o, rita

I don't see her as such a great beauty and I think her figure was kind of thick waisted and dumpy looking. In the Women she looked plump when she wore the skirt and sweater set.

Guest Alix

She also looked dumpy in HE WHO GETS SLAPPED, when she had to wear tights and a tutu as a circus rider. She had really thick legs, and it wasn't a very attractive look. I think she looked much better in long gowns.

Guest Collinsworth, Michelle

Hi, I'm new to here and a young lover of classic films, especially from the 30's and 40's.I've been reading through and no one has mentioned Rock Hudson, personal life aside he was hot. Also a young James Stewart. I also love Fred Astair as leading man, he had a wonderful comedic flare and was a great singer and of course dancer. Marilyn was my favorite female for sex appeal until I discovered Dietrich, she's got to be one of the most facinating women in movie history her voice, her attitude...clothes everything about her was the embodiment of unattainable hollywood glamour and sex appeal. Not to mention her amazingly long screen life, we should all age so gracefully!

Guest K, Sandy

I just watched FATHER GOOSE on TCM and once again I was swept away by the sexiness of Cary Grant. Even at 60 years of age, playing an unshaven, messy curmudgeon, Cary is still the guy that I'd love to be stranded on an island with!

Guest mongo

Today on TCM I watched one of my favorite actors Burt Lancaster in "The Swimmer" (1968) and he was superb as a man reflecting on his life. Thankfully Paul Newman, William Holden and Glenn Ford turned the part down. Throughout the film his only costume was a bathing suit and for a guy in his 50's he was still handsome and in great physical shape (and in one scene even walking around bareass naked). It surprises me that Lancaster isn't mentioned on the boards more often and especially in this category since I figured that some of the ladies would consider him one of the sexiest stars to come out of Hollywood.

Guest son, jery

Today's NY Daily News declared George Clooney is "today's" Clark Gable. Huh? Okay, it gets even better. Our new-age Gary Cooper is boy toy Matthew McConaughey (quick, name one movie he's been in). Nicolas Cage is today's answer to Gary Cooper, Hugh Grant is our new Cary Grant and Tobey Maguire (who dat?)has earned the title of our new Errol Flynn. Pu-leeze! This sounds like PR hype to me. What do you think?

Guest mongo

Of course the actors that you mention have no control over the comparisons to the great stars that they are compared with. Clooney for one would just laugh at the whole thing. I've seen all these gents in movies and each were good at times in what they do. McConaughey was excellent in the film "Lone Star" as was Maguire in "The Cider House Rules". He will most likely fly to the top after "Spider-Man" is released very soon. I don't believe that Grant takes himself too seriously although he was good in some light comedies. Of course Cage won an Oscar already for "Leaving Las Vegas" and was in the popular "Moonstruck". This new breed will also have their ups and downs as did the great stars of the past, which there is actually no comparison, however the outrageous pay checks that they receive will more than compensate for a bomb or two.

Guest Withnail, Monty

That skinny little runt Sinatra does not deserve to be even mentioned in this thread!