Sign in to follow this  
Guest son, jery

The Sexiest!

335 posts in this topic

Guest son, jery

The very cool, sizzling, charming David Manners was also a delight in "The Mummy" (1932) and "The Black Cat" (1934). He always consoled the poor heroine. All his leading ladies fell in love with the de-loverly Manners but his interests lay, eh, elsewhere. He died just a few months ago, in his 90s, and had become completely out-of-it, mentally.He reminded me of the once-hot William Hurt.

Guest K, Sandy

I saw Hayden Christenson in LIFE AS A HOUSE. He played Kevin Kline's rebellious teenage son. Very intense, sexy eyes. He gave a great, complex performance in that film, but I heard that he does not fare so well in ATTACK OF THE CLONES. As for Ewan McGregor, he is a fabulous actor AND a hunk o' beefcake! I don't care much for sci-fi, so I probably won't see the Star Wars flick, unless my sweetie drags me with him.

Guest son, jery

If you want to see more, MORE of the sizzling Ewan McGregor you can catch him in the fabulous all-together in a beautifully shot, boring art movie called "The Painted Box." Ewan drops trou all over the place, with men, women, etc. Forget the story line. I couldn't follow it. Ewan is the main attraction. Couldn't you just imagine him and Billy Haines together? Woooo, the temperatures would sizzle!

Guest cooper, jeane

Thanks Alix and Jery Son. "Dracula" and "The Mummy" put Mr Manners face etc. back in my memory bank. You're right - eye candy for all!

Guest Alix

Yes, he is serious competition, and although he looks like a teenager (is he?)he is definitely lip-licking, babe-a-licious material. Those eyes..... BTW...Ewan McGregor also sings well. That was the only part of MOULIN ROUGE I liked.

Guest son, jery

Did anyone check out AMC's documentary: "Shirtless: HOllywood Hunks" Sunday, June 9, 2002. Egads, what a horrible waste of time. Ninety-nine per cent of it were magazine covers of brad pitt and tom cruise and others. Then there were clips from movie previews. Then there was a bunch of talking heads i'd never heard of before. My favorites was a black soap-opera actress, "Anshanti" who went on and on about how wonderful Will Smith was. Huh? Is he supposed to be a hunk? Also drooled over were such empty-headed boy types like Johnny Depp, Adam Garcia (the son of Andy Garcia). A male soap opera star was actually interviewed. He said he wished he could be another Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. You saw nothing of real pin-up boys like Guy Madison, Troy Donahue, Jon Hall, any of the Tarzans--especially the gorgeous Buster Crabbe--or movie muscle gods like Steve Reeves. This is among the worst paste-up documentaries I've ever seen. But since it was produced by AMC, we shouldn't be surprised.

Guest mongo

You hit the nail on the head jery son. It was an awful show supposedly representing a century of beefcake. Shame on AMC. However today while scanning my remote I came across the film "Bird of Paradise" (1932) on my local PBS station. WOW what a sensual treat it was for a film made 70 years ago. Gorgeous Dolores Del Rio and handsome Joel McCrea romping on an island paradise was a treat. Both scantly clad Del Rio picked bananas and McCrea climbed a tree for cocoanuts which they fed to each other, the cocoanut milk pouring out of their mouths and onto their faces. In one scene Del Rio is quenching McCrea's thirst when sucking out an orange and transferring the juice mouth to mouth. Very enjoyable indeed. Of course the ending is a heartbreaker when Del Rio has to jump into a volcano to end a curse. AMC could have used a clip of McCrea for their special.

Guest Alix

Isn't it time to see another William Haines movie? Let's see this sexy star in something that hasn't been shown before. Give me a silent...give me a talkie...just give me a Haines movie!!

Guest son, jery

Yes, we want our Haines--like tonight and every night. Especially interesting would be his co-starring role in Tell it to the Marines. I've discovered that instead of Victor McLaughlin, who I thought would be the beefy, macho mean guy, being the co-star, it's actually Lon Chaney who doesn't look half bad in that shirtless jersey he wears in some of the stills. Some of my old movie buffs have told me something juicy: Chaney liked the men and the women. Chaney and Haines had more than a professional interest in each other. Chaney and Ramon Navarro also had a fling. What a duo! Chaney's son, Lon Chaney Jr. (The Wolf Man)followed his father in having both male and female love interests. You heard it here first!

Guest finnie1, moira

Has anyone asked themselves why the men and women of the "golden age" were more attractive? I suspect that there were a couple of things that today's actors, for all their symmetrical features and washboard abs, lack: 1) Actors: From Gable to McCrea, they were ADULTS; not eternal teenagers. Their presence embodies the pleasures and burdens to be gained from having a few experiences in life that can't be explained in a simple declarative sentence,(but could be said in a glance!). 2) Writers: We rarely knew everything that there was to know about the characters--think of Cary Grant in "Only Angels Have Wings"--why is he such a grouch? What happened to him along the way? Who was Rita Hayworth's "Gilda"? Where did she come from? As a viewer, one asks and learns more about these characters throughout the movie. Everything wasn't spelled out all the time. Sometimes, I think that the scripts today are written in crayon or on paper napkins during a coffee break...I guess I'm trying to say that using my imagination as a viewer was enjoyable. 3) Technical Crews: The cinematographers, lighting directors and directors photographed these actors so beautifully, even in dramatic failures--catch 1933's "Today We Live" for a glimpse of an astonishingly beautiful Joan Crawford or Clark Gable's face as he watches his friend Thomas Mitchell die under the stars in in "Adventure." _____________________________________________________________________ I just came across the paeans to Rod Taylor--amen sisters! If you ever have a chance, catch "Young Cassidy" on TCM. Maybe it's the Irish in me, but I think it's beautiful; and it says more about the mingling of poverty and joy than a hundred bleaker movies. Based on Sean O'Casey's memoirs and prepared for production by John Ford (who was too ill to finish the film) it has Mr. Taylor's best performance; along with a lovely Maggie Smith, (she and Taylor were also the most human element of the "VIPs" movie around the same time), and numerous wonderful Irish and English actors. And yes, Mr. Taylor displays his natural beauty...discreetly!

Guest olmsted, l

Moira, I've asked myself this several times and agree with your points, but here's the reasoning behind why I find the stars of yesteryear more attractive: First of all, I'm just a classic movie fan and that alone can explain a lot. Unlike the movies of today, classic films were genuinely ENTERTAINING! People did not have easy lives--they physically WORKED hard, not just sitting a computer all day with three phones handy so that anyone could contact them. Movies were an escape into a better world of fantasy and beauty and romance. Now films are loud, obnoxious, gross, and full of violence and explosions. NOTHING is left to mystery and the imagination. Today,we know too much about a star's personal life (most of the time, not that flattering). When you discover one of your favorite stars is an a**hole or a major b***h (pardon my French), you lose respect and the beauty goes right out the window. Now, since I wasn't alive during the prime of my favorite classic stars, there is so much mystery and intrigue to who they were and that alone is very sexy! The fact that these stars are completely untouchable and unattainable makes them that much more attractive. Also, as you were saying, the techincal crews put time and effort into making these stars beautiful--as did they themselves! Hair, makeup, and clothes were always so perfect and glamorous. NORMAL people didn't look like that and they longed for that life. Today, you walk down the street and a stranger is far better looking than Cameron Diaz who probably doesn't even know what a hairbrush is or whoever the new sensation is with earrings in every orifice and clothes ten times too big. I could go on and on about this topic and possibly never be able to explain it thoroughly. Maybe it CAN'T be explained. Everyone has a different viewpoint on WHY, but we all agree on our love for the classics. :)

Guest son, jery

I can't think of any "star" today who will be cherished and worshipped in the future like we do those marvelous creatures from our Hollywood past. Can you imagine Marie Dressler in today's movies? No wonder she was the number one movie star in the world way back then. You just loved watching her and that gal could do anything--from musicals (Hollywood Revue)to drama/comedy (Dinner at Eight, Anna Christie." Look at the way Gary Cooper, Cary Grant, etc. all evolved over the decades into legends. That naturally includes Bette Davis, Mae West, etc. These people all had "life experience" written all over them. Our poor actresses today just don't have the roles like they did way back then. Moira, you're so right about those brilliant studio crews. Those studios hired only the cream of veterans. Today, we have kids fresh out of college with video cameras, costume people who buy clothes straight off the racks, etc. Give me a David Selznick movie any day of the week!

Guest son, jery

I can't think of any "star" today who will be cherished and worshipped in the future like we do those marvelous creatures from our Hollywood past. Can you imagine Marie Dressler in today's movies? No wonder she was the number one movie star in the world way back then. You just loved watching her and that gal could do anything--from musicals (Hollywood Revue)to drama/comedy (Dinner at Eight, Anna Christie." Look at the way Gary Cooper, Cary Grant, etc. all evolved over the decades into legends. That naturally includes Bette Davis, Mae West, etc. These people all had "life experience" written all over them. Our poor actresses today just don't have the roles like they did way back then. Moira, you're so right about those brilliant studio crews. Those studios hired only the cream of veterans. Today, we have kids fresh out of college with video cameras, costume people who buy clothes straight off the racks, etc. Give me a David Selznick movie any day of the week!Better still, give me Rod Taylor for the weekend!

Guest Alix

You know, I am always amazed over the incredible appeal of Marie Dressler. Do we even have any stars today in her age/weight/appearance category? It seems today once an actress hits about 50, "That's all folks!" Marie was proof that you could be larger than a size 0, older than 50 and successful! I watch her movies and am always in awe of her ability and calibre. How sad that she had a 15 year period where she did basically no movies! It is just our good fortune that she was "rediscovered." She is a star who deserves to be Star of the Month.

Guest finnie12, moira

FYI: I'm having problems logging in as just Moira Finnie, so this is me again. Unfortunately, I never get a new password when I ask for one, so hopefully, this will work... ______________________________________________________________________ Thanks for reminding me of Marie Dressler! Forgive me if I don't have all the details accurately, but a memorable scene of hers for me is in "Dinner at 8." She is in Lionel Barrymore's office reminiscing about a time when she was the toast of New York, dining at Delmonico's while violets grew in the snow. She comments that it doesn't snow like that anymore. The blend of wistfulness, regret and understanding that she expresses in that scene is so artful and heartfelt that for just that moment the years fall away and the viewer goes back in time with her. (It probably doesn't hurt to have someone as talented as Herman Mankiewicz adapting the dialogue from Edna Ferber's play for this picture either.) Yes, I'd love to see Ms. Dressler as a Star of the Month. Do you think that they could dig up the last movie she did, "Christopher Bean"? I saw it as a little kid and never forgot it. I'd like to see if it held up. No, I can't think of any American actress over 50 and size 0 doing comparable work, except on stage. Those annoying French (just kidding), seemed to understand that actresses "d'un certain age" have a great deal to offer: i.e. Jeanne Moreau,and the late Simone Signoret. And those ladies were and are very sexy, too...

Guest Eva, Little

I just caught again "King Solomon's Mines" on TCM and thought this movie simmered so hotly with repressed sexuality. Stewart Granger was always an eyeful in his heyday but the one who sent my temperature rising was Richard Carlson, the second male lead. Someone else, I believe it was Jery Son, pointed out what a sexy actor he was. I agree! Because just after catching Carlson in this flick, I saw him "Creature From the Black Lagoon," and was swept away in a tidal wave of desire! (with apologies to the Cecil B. DeMille School of Publicity) Carlson was no Steve Reeves but he was manly, well-built and spent most of his time in bathing trunks. The only guy who comes close to Carlson today is Johnny Knoxville, the impudent star of MTV's "Jackass." Boyish and charming. (I'm afraid my tongue is planted firmly in cheek).

Guest Reggatta

A choice that wouldn't occur to most people, but all the gals in my film history class agreed that Buster Keaton was a major babe. Athletic, clever, daring, risking life and limb for his lady, leaping tall train tressles at a single bound...

Guest K, Sandy

There's something about Buster that is just so sweet.

Guest eva, little

Gene Kelly would never make my list of sexiest. But he did create one role that ranks as probably the sexiest ever seen in a musical. In the l949 "The Pirate," Judy Garland dreams of Kelly as being the sexy, dashing, dangerous Macacoa the Pirate. Kelly suddenly appears in black hot pants, a sleeveless black velvet vest and he looks dynamic! He shows off his manly form in a terrific dance sequence. I understand that when garland joined him in the number, she got so carried away with this sweaty, panting hunk that things got out of hand. They had to cut out the negative and redo it. Rumor has it that even director Vincente Minelli was knocked out by the pirate-playing Kelly which became the major reason for Garland and Minelli's divorce.

Guest Chandler, Lorraine

William Holden For me WH`s appeal is that he was manly, but not afraid to show that he could be kind, gentle, sensitive and vul- nerable.He had beautiful, expressive blue eyes and a warm, deep, distinctive resonant speaking voice.He looked gor-geous with or with out his shirt on.He had the most beau-tiful smile-full of kindness and warmth.His acting contain-ed a quiet natural intensity, sensitivity and dignity.Even when playing a cynical anti-hero like Sefton in Stalag 17 or Shears in Bridge on The River Kwai he was likeable. In his later years, his face showed the effects of his drinking, but he was still distinguished looking.I loved his performance in Network.He was a very gifted, versatile actor-he and James Stewart are my favorites of the classic movie actors.

Guest son, jery

Lorraine, I've just replied to your post under the other folder, "Movie Books," regarding the beautiful William Holden. He was a real standout, even in Hollywood, where handsome men are as common as crabgrass. As I mentioned, I'll never forget watching him do that sexy dance with Kim Novak in PICNIC to the sexy "Moonglow." And then when Rosalind Russell tears off his shirt! That was hot stuff for the l950s. It was so grim to watch him deteriorate over the years from alcohol. I read where he was guzzling two to three quarts of liquor a day, on top of smoking grass and doing other drugs. No wonder that beautiful face of his became so wrinkled and dried-up.

Guest Chandler, Lorraine

jery son: I have posted a reply for William Holden and Picnic under the other folder "Movie Books."Yes, it was very sad to watch his self-destruct-ion from alcohol.He left us a beautiful legacy in the large body of his film work and his conservation work which his companion Stefanie Powers carried on after his death through the William Holden African Wildlife Foundation.He will always be our "Golden Boy". Lorraine C.

Guest mongo

And Barbara Stanwyck would agree with you. She adored him.

Guest Chandler, Lorraine

The 1982 Oscar ceremony which took place 4 months after the death of William Holden had a very moving tribute to WH from Barbara Stanwyck.BS received an honorary Oscar and dedicated it to her "Golden Boy".WH was always gracious to those who helped him through the years with his career.For as long as he lived he sent Barbara Stanwyck a dozen red roses on her birthday -his way of thanking her for coaching him as an actor on his first film,Golden Boy.Your statement about his being a brother which men wanted to bring home and a man which women wanted as a lover shows that des- pite his flaws he was loved by almost everyone who knew him. Gemini730

Guest son, jery

Still referring to Bill Holden, I'm surprised we've not mentioned his fab performance as the boy toy to Gloria Swanson in "Sunset Boulevard." I loved the way he accepted Swanson's adoration, especially the scenes when she's all over him like a cheap suit and he just casually smokes his cigarette, like he's used to that type of worship. You watch him in early gems like this and "Golden Boy"--and then see how terribly deterioated he looks in cheesy stuff like "Towering Inferno." What a waste! I feel his tragedy especially since I had an uncle who looked exactly like Holden and he ended up the same way--completely blotto and a physical wreck. That scared me so much I don't drink anything with alcohol in it.