Sign in to follow this  
musicalnovelty

Rare Columbia pre-codes on TCM in July

26 posts in this topic

One pre-code of significance to me is "THREE WISE GIRLS" 1931 Columbia film

starring Jean Harlow. Looks like the majority of films in July will be from 1939. Not

pre-code, but a very good year for films. At end of month it'll be fun to see the JOE E BROWN

marathon!

I actually have this day circled on my calendar, as I've never seen any of these films and am looking foward especially to the Harlow. These little blocks of rarity are just another reason why TCM remains my "default" channel. :)

> {quote:title=ModernMaiden wrote:}{quote}

> Why has Deception (1932) been removed from the schedule?

>

> Message was edited by: ModernMaiden

Be prepared for a rambling explanation concerning analog v. digital; why TCM can't do certain things, but try enjoying FATHER OF THE BRIDE...it's twice a month.

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=ModernMaiden wrote:}{quote}

> > Why has Deception (1932) been removed from the schedule?

> >

> > Message was edited by: ModernMaiden

> Be prepared for a rambling explanation concerning analog v. digital; why TCM can't do certain things, but try enjoying FATHER OF THE BRIDE...it's twice a month.

Yes, some apologist for TCM's ridiculous behavior will eventually show up with a mealy-mouthed explanation. Isn't it always the way? It's too blatant to be random - they're always doing this to silents or precodes. Still waiting on those precode Blondells that'll be on maybe in 2012 or so.

Looking forward to Three Wise Girls tomorrow, especially. Hope my cable doesn't go out tomorrow. We've been having a lot of thunderstorms lately, and quick "brownouts" where the lights flicker, the clocks die, and the cable goes out.

Update; no problems! Got all these films. Three Wise Girls was the best print.

Did they run FINAL EDITION?

I must have screwed up the taping.

They did indeed run Final Edition. I really enjoyed this mini-marathon and was suprised of how good the prints looks for films from that era. Columbia must have taken good care of its library.

From watching the Marie Prevost films today I can finally understand why the studio was on her case: she WAS getting fat. I really don't think she looked chubby at all in films from the late 1920s and up thru 1931 or so but after that she really started putting on the pounds. I notice in every one of her later films they make her character overly interested in food, cracking jokes about how much she liked food. I always thought that was so awful and I'll bet she resented it.

musicalnovelty: I second that motion. Now if TCM would only twist a few arms at UCLA

a air the 1 remaining Harlow title that hasn't been shown yet. It's the FOX film, "Goldie".

I third the motion! I would absolutely love for TCM to show "Goldie". I don't think they'd have a problem with UCLA: the problem would be getting the rights to get it on loan from 20th Century Fox.

Maybe if we all start requesting it in the "suggest a movie" feature the TCM programmers will make an effort to obtain it. It appears that 20th Century Fox doesn't care about it; in fact they rarely show any of the pre 20th Century Fox movies on their cable network.

"Goldie" was restored by UCLA and the movie is in pristine condition so why keep it locked up in mothballs? It would be a welcome treat not only for us Harlow fans but also for fans of Spencer Tracy as this was one of his earliest roles.

*I third the motion! I would absolutely love for TCM to show "Goldie". I don't think they'd have a problem with UCLA:*

The problem may lie less with Fox and more with the deed of gift of the print of *Goldie*. If it came from a collector, there may be provisions on the film that keep it from being broadcast.

Did anyone record THREE WISE GIRLS? I was unable to get it :-(

If you did, please send me a PM, I would like to get a copy.

Thanks!