Sign in to follow this  
sarahmascara

Senior thesis help

4 posts in this topic

Hi

I am currently working on my senior thesis on the role of women during world war 2 cinema. I am currently trying to find films featuring a-list actresses working in factories. So far I have Since you went away and Tender Comrade and a few musicals.

if you know any others please let me know

but more importantly if you know where I can watch tender comrade online that would be most helpful. I've scoured the internet with no luck.

Please!!!! help a girl graduate on time!!!!

-Sarah

This is as close as I could come to what you're asking for:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=70323

Carmen Jones is a 1954 musical film produced and directed by Otto Preminger for Carlyle Productions, released on October 5, 1954 by 20th Century Fox. An adaptation of the 1943 Broadway musical of the same name, Carmen Jones is a retelling of Georges Bizet's opera Carmen set during World War II with an all African-American cast. The film stars Harry Belafonte, Dorothy Dandridge, Pearl Bailey, Olga James, and Joe Adams, also featuring Brock Peters (his film debut), Roy Glenn, Nick Stewart, and Diahann Carroll (her film debut).

Photographed in CinemaScope, the film was a critical and commercial success, and proved to be a major star-making vehicle for Dorothy Dandridge, who portrayed the title character. Carmen Jones won the 1955 Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy, and was nominated for two Academy Awards. Dandridge, nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress, was the first African-American so honored.

The film was also entered into the 1955 Cannes Film Festival.

In 1992, Carmen Jones was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Good luck on your thesis!

Mike

I assume by "World War II cinema" you mean only 1941-45 films, You might seek out YOUTH RUNS WILD (1944), which TCM has shown now and then. Not a great movie but one of few (if any others) that tries to portray the strains of the homefront on American families. One of main characters is a teenage girl whose mother works in a defense plant. No A-list stars, however.

And if you really want to stretch, look for a WB cartoon entitled BROTHER BRAT (1944), featuring the voice of Bea Benaderet. Hardly A-list. There just weren't that many such films.

If you are venturing beyond 1941-45, don't forget Jonathan Demme's SWING SHIFT (1984), with Goldie Hawn and Christine Lahti working in a defense plant.

Sorry, can't help you with TENDER COMRADE online. You can find it on VHS on amazon.com, but apparently it hasn't been released on DVD in the U.S., although there is a Euro Region 2 version.

Hers to Hold is a movie with Deanna Durbin; she works in an airplane factory during the war. It's a pretty good musical too, although it might be hard to find.