Sign in to follow this  
TikiSoo

Meet Me In St Louis HELP!!

13 posts in this topic

I'm doing a painting of the scene from Meet Me In St Louis where the 3 sisters are building snow people. I have a nice close up shot of the girls I took off this forum, which gave me the idea in the first place. But unfortunately, it cuts off the backround of the porch, houses, and yard.

After looking through every musicals & MGM book in my library, I turned to searching the internet over and cannot find ONE picture to go by! Any pictures of the lot, the yards, houses, anything would help. I know I could just paint any porch in the backround, but I'd like it to be authentic.

FYI: I am restoring rounding boards, the top scenery paintings on a carousel. These murals are 18" high and 8 feet long, a weird space to fill. The original murals are gone. I'm trying to pay homage to the ametuer attempts from the 80's I'm painting over and in this case it was kids building a snowman.

I spotted the photo of Judy & Margaret here and thought it was the correct time period of costumes and would be cute. I promise I will post the "before" and "after" of my restoration in this thread once it's done, in about a week.

I'll skip working today and wait to see if anyone can come up with something for me.

THANKS in advance!!

Try these, TikiSoo. Not as sharp nor exact as I'd prefer, but all I could find on such short notice. Good luck with your restoration. I'm reminded of Sandra Locke in Clint Eastwood's Sudden Impact - her restoration of a merry-go-round. No inference.

axcw74.jpg

34gjz2c.jpg

2w35owj.jpg

j95vyw.jpg

vpi3aa.jpg

Message was edited by Kid Dabb because, once again, thinking something doesn't make it appear on the screen

I know there are some images of the Smith house in the TCM Database. But the snowmen are facing the Smith house, so you would want a photo of the house across the street?

Kid, those pics are PERFECT!

That first one is the base picture that originally gave me the idea. The third pic helps the most-for simple composition. I don't want to copy the house exactly, just place houses on a street scene to fill the other 7 feet of the area. Although I have to remember no leaves but snow on trees!

And several people comment on the Clint Eastwood movie....I've never seen it. But I certainly collect images of scenes set on carousels and can usually ID the machine if it's still running. Strangers On A Train shots of the carousel running with people on it was Griffith Park. I especially like the scene in Purple Rose of Cairo in Prospect Park, Brooklyn because they sit in the chariot in the dark when the carousel is closed. Most people don't experience rides when they're closed like that, my favorite time.

OK, here's what I was given to work with:

snowman.jpg

I'll post the finished painting for all you critics in another week or so.

OK, the base painting is done...I couldn't let it go over the weekend without showing you. Please bear in mind that though the pictures Kid Dabb posted for me look good here, blown up to 8x10 and printed from a computer, they are a blurry mess.

Also realize in keeping with the original murals, they can't be too sharp or have too much detail, one of the reasons I put the backround in sepia tones. The original paintings were almost impressionistic lanscapes, like the one below. Also the top & bottom 3" is covered in dentil molding, so I didn't bother too much with acurracy.

But I just couldn't resist putting my beloved Judy in my work. The way it will look viewed from 20 ft away:

MMISL.jpg

And close up:

MMISLCU.jpg

Very cute that the kids of the village where the carousel runs collected pennies to pay for this board's restoration!

Beautiful! You've got some good contrast between the background and foreground. The girls and snowmen seem to jump out at you. I like it. Is that landscape another finished panel?

Wow... you did an amazing job capturing the feeling of the whole picture, and what an artist you are... wonderful job...

Thanks, but I'd never say my paintings were "beautiful". They need to appear somewhat washy and soft, since the original artists were of the signpainter ilk. Here's the sort of references I use:

CatalogueRB.jpg

So you can see the MMIStL panel really isn't historical restoration. Yes, the Mt Hood panel is more in keeping with the "original" look of rounding board scenes.

But I also know kids that grew up riding that carousel in the last 20 years are going to have the image of kids building a snowman in their memory. So I thought I'd keep with that "theme" so when they see it now, as adults they won't be jarred looking for a scene that's not there.

And I know the laymen is going to love the scene. How many blurry river/forest scenes can I paint?

So I snuck Judy in just for fun. Shhh.