Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

That winning smile.

109 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well, it's at least a pretty good bet that a guy THAT hirsute will never go bald anyway, I suppose.

(...btw...isn't it a shame Virginia Mayo's character in TBYOOL wasn't also advised by her mother about that whole "never marry a man you've only seen in uniform" thing, too?!...would've saved a whole lot o' heartache for everyone concerned in THAT picture if she had, huh...probably would have made for a lesser film though, I'd say) 

OMG! Poor Dana Andrews, I really feel for him in that film particularly when he ends up working in the perfume department. All that shallow Virginia cares about is being seen with him on the town in his uniform. No wonder that super squeaky clean Teresa Wright decided to break that marriage up, Dargo. Sometimes you really can feel sorry for a guy who marries a dame like that...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

OMG! Poor Dana Andrews, I really feel for him in that film particularly when he ends up working in the perfume department. All that shallow Virginia cares about is being seen with him on the town in his uniform. No wonder that super squeaky clean Teresa Wright decided to break that marriage up, Dargo. Sometimes you really can feel sorry for a guy who marries a dame like that...

And speaking of the wholesome Miss Wright...

In the final scene of this movie, I always thought she flashes a damn good 'winning smile' in it.

720full-the-best-years-of-our-lives-scre

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I don't feel sorry for the Andrews character because he married a women for lust and not because he loved her.  He didn't know her and they hardly knew each other.     But hey,  back in those days to get to home plate a guy had to get married.    He didn't really lose much since he never loved her to begin with.

The overall plot point was trying to communicate that this type of 'I don't really know you, but I'm going off to war and might not return,  let's get married' decision is folly.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't feel sorry for the Andrews character because he married a women for lust and not because he loved her.  He didn't know her and they hardly knew each other.     But hey,  back in those days to get to home plate a guy had to get married.    He didn't really lose much since he never loved her to begin with.

The overall plot point was trying to communicate that this type of 'I don't really know you, but I'm going off to war and might not return,  let's get married' decision is folly.  

Gee, the poor guy probably was taken in by Virginia's wiles, and instead of sleeping with Marlena Dietrich at one of those USO get-togethers, the fool believed in real love and was smitten, James. I mean really, you know Virginia Mayo, being more used to hanging out with guys like Steve Cochran was probably on the make, and suckered that sweet and naive Dana in, and lured him to her abode, while wearing some see-thru negligee. What's a poor guy to do??? He probably also got mesmerized looking into her gorgeous, yet cross-eyed big blue peepers too. That could make a man lose all logic and common sense, particularly when he is being shipped off to who knows where to defend the US against Nazis. Give the dear boy a break.

37 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Gee, the poor guy probably was taken in by Virginia's wiles, and instead of sleeping with Marlena Dietrich at one of those USO get-togethers, the fool believed in real love and was smitten, James. I mean really, you know Virginia Mayo, being more used to hanging out with guys like Steve Cochran was probably on the make, and suckered that sweet and naive Dana in, and lured him to her abode, while wearing some see-thru negligee. What's a poor guy to do??? He probably also got mesmerized looking into her gorgeous, yet cross-eyed big blue peepers too. That could make a man lose all logic and common sense, particularly when he is being shipped off to who knows where to defend the US against Nazis. Give the dear boy a break.

I clearly understand why he was thinking with the wrong body part  (I have done this).  But like I said he didn't love her,  especially when he returned.   Instead what he cared about was that the institution of marriage.    I.e. he was married and he was going to try to make it work because that is what one does.  He loved an idea.      

So when he discovered his wife didn't love him,  THAT fact didn't hurt his feelings.   What did hurt his feelings is that the plans he had for their future (plans he was thinking about while overseas) were dust.

• Like 2

My very favorite movie star smile:

rita_hayworth_gallery_6.jpg

• Like 5

Ah sweet angel Tommy

TTWTF.JPG

You got a way to send my senses reeling

every time you smile...

Happy Belated 115th Birthday.

Well, I suppose I have to admit Tom Mix had a heck of a lot better 'winning smile' than I ever recall William S. Hart here havin' back in the day anyway, Mary!...

hart.jpg

(...in fact, did anyone ever catch Billy Boy here smilin' at ALL???)

;)

• Like 1

Audrey Hepburn had a real sweet smile.

audrey-hepburn-dvdbash37.jpg?w=584&h=717

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Well, I suppose I have to admit Tom Mix had a heck of a lot better 'winning smile' than I ever recall William S. Hart here havin' back in the day anyway, Mary!...

hart.jpg

(...in fact, did anyone ever catch Billy Boy here smilin' at ALL???)

;)

I think you meant Tom Tyler :)

CaptainMarvel13.jpg

I like his Captain Marvel smile the best

Thought of this thread recently while watching old ANDY GRIFFITH reruns and noticed too, how HE always seemed to have a wide, bright smile.  Even when he played "Lonesome Rhodes".  ;) 

And his "Face IN THE CROWD" co-star ANTHONY FRANCIOSA too, had a "light up the face" kind of smile.  :)

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, MaryGH said:

I think you meant Tom Tyler :)

CaptainMarvel13.jpg

I like his Captain Marvel smile the best

61c90a206b9a4932a7415227211f3185.jpg

"SHAZAM! Sorry 'bout that, Mary! Golly, I don't know how I of all people mistook Tom Tyler for Tom Mix there!"

(..."but my cousin Goober does such a good Cary Grant impression that I sometime can get them two mixed up too!")

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sagebrush said:

My very favorite movie star smile:

rita_hayworth_gallery_6.jpg

She was so beautiful but when she smiled, it just lit up her whole face.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Thought of this thread recently while watching old ANDY GRIFFITH reruns and noticed too, how HE always seemed to have a wide, bright smile.  Even when he played "Lonesome Rhodes".  ;) 

And his "Face IN THE CROWD" co-star ANTHONY FRANCIOSA too, had a "light up the face" kind of smile.  :)

Sepiatone

I thought at times Andy's smile in A FACE IN THE CROWD, could be a bit on the maniacal side, though I do agree that Anthony had a pleasant enough smile.

• Thanks 1

Or Tommy's sweet enigmatic smile while in a swimsuit...

Tom-in-swimming-trunks.jpg

Or in his weightlifting shorts...1928, the year he won the Los Angeles Athletic Club heavyweight weightlifting championship, where he clean and jerked 297 lbs. That year Tom Tyler was selected to be on the Summer Olympic weightlifting team (USA) although we never sent the team to compete in Amsterdam. 

Those silent film cowboys never looked better... :D

MotionPictureClassicJuly1928-a.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

He may not be smiling all the much but those pix made me smile.  ?

Well, ok--if you've got a winning smile.

This is technically a laugh, but a smile is also involved. 

Judy Garland, ca. 1943

Image result for judy garland presenting lily mars