Sign in to follow this  
Isilwenn

What movie is this?

7 posts in this topic

Ages ago, when I was a kid I saw most of a black and white movie but missed out on the end and have always wanted to see it again. I don't know what its title is!

What I remember from the plot is that its about a gangsters moll on the run, (can't remember why) who ends ups sheltering with a group of older men who are all living together while they work on a new edition of a dictionary. I think she teaches them slang to put in the dictionary while falling in love with the youngest of them.

The bit that really stands out to me is that the young male love interest is very repressed and whenever he gets over excited he dashes off to wet his handkerchief and put it on the back of his neck to cool off. Later in the movie after sharing a heated moment the couples roles are reversed and its the too-cool-for-school moll who finds herself overwhelmed and rushing off to do the same.

Can anyone tell me what movie this is?

"Ball of Fire" is such a great movie. It's no wonder that Barbara Stanwyck was nominated for an Oscar for this. She is nothing short of perfect in this role. What a shame that she didn't do more comedies. By the way, there was a musical remake of this story seven years later, called "A Song is Born" with Danny Kaye and Virginia Mayo. But don't bother with this one. It's terrible. Poor Virginia Mayo---she was forced by Samuel Goldwyn to watch "Ball of Fire" over and over again, so that she could imitate the great Stanwyck. She never had a chance to just be herself.

Terrence.

A little bit of trivia about "A Song is Born": Mary Field, the character actress, played the same role of the spinster who secretly loved the main male character in both versions.

Terrence.