Sign in to follow this  
johnbabe

Garbo's precodes

13 posts in this topic

TCM get with the program, let us have Mata Hari, Susan Lenox and others in their original precut and pre-code forms

TCM really neglects Garbo's precodes. Im so tired of seeing Camille or Ninotchka, lets see Romance or Inspiration sometime.

I wonder why TCM has not shown SUSAN LENOX...(1932) in quite a while?

Or ROMANCE, or INSPIRATION? I know why they have not shown a more complete version of MATA HARI. I figure that one will eventually crop up when TCM is able to get back a copy of the only known uncut print that resides in Europe..

Yes to Ruth Chatterton and Dorothy Mackaill. All they ever show of Mackaill's early talkies are *Kept Husbands* and *Safe in Hell* and a few others. She made about a dozen early talkies before descending into supporting roles (like *No Man of Her Own* ) and B films like *Picture Brides.*

More Betty Compson would be good too.

Message was edited by: drednm

i totally agree, i think the reason is that the films of Garbo they show, all the time, are the ones included in the box set they put out!

plug. plug, ok, but if they showed the rest of Garbo's fillms, put out another box set, or at the very least the uncensored original UNCUT Mata Hari, then they could both Plug and SELL, baby, SELL!

My favorite Garbo films after Ninotchka are two silents she made with Nils Asther: Wild Orchids and The Single Standard. I thought she had great chemistry with Nils, even better than she had with Gilbert on screen. Nils seem to be dominant over Greta on screen, whereas Greta was dominant over Gilbert on screen, and from my feminine perspective I consider the male dominant romance to be far sexier than when the woman is the dominant partner on screen.

I love Garbo's pre-codes. Though I'm not fond of Mata Hari. It's an extremely flat film, and as far as Garbo spy romances go, The Mysterious Lady did it much better.

I wish they would show As You Desire Me (me second favorite Garbo film, and my very favorite performance of hers) and Susan Lenox (a really great pre-code with a fantastic depiction of really messed up relationship) more often. The Painted Veil, too. It's not a great movie, but Garbo's performance is awesome.

The Single Standard is pretty fantastic. I recently rewatched all the Garbo silents, and I had forgotten how good pretty much all of them all. Flash and the Devil is easily my favorite, The Mysterious Lady is my second, and I'd say The Single Standard is probably my third, followed by A Woman of Affairs.

She and Conrad Nagel should have made more films together. Their chemistry was HOT in The Mysterious Lady and The Kiss. It wish they had done a sound film.

i totally agree, if you want to see the uncensored uncut original Mata Hari just go to Garbor4Ever.com and vote.

i totally agree, and how about The Painted Veil, and Conquest and believe it or not, Two Faced Woman is a very funny flick, and there is an uncensored version of that one too.