Sign in to follow this  
Robbie79

Best Musical of All Time

52 posts in this topic

Singin' in The Rain, of course. The best numbers, the best songs. Can you believe that Gene Kelly filmed the number 'Singin' in The Rain' with high fever?? Nevertheless, it is not my favorite number.

The best is the duet with Donald O'Connor 'Moses Supposes'!!!

I would have to say "The Bandwagon". Better songs than "Singing in the Rain" (That's Entertainment, Dancing in the Dark, I'll Go my Way by Myself, etc.), Just as funny, and the classic Astaire-Charisse dance to 'Dancing in the Dark" tops the Kelly umbrella dance in "Singing in the Rain".

Hard to say just one musical is the best. But, high on my best list are:

The Jazz Singer - 1927

Show Boat - 1936

The Wizard Of Oz -1939

Singin' In The Rain - 1952

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - 1954

Oklahoma! -1955

Carousel - 1956

West Side Story - 1961

My Fair Lady - 1964

Gypsy - 1962

Sound of Music - 1965

South Pacific - 1958

Porgy And Bess - 1959

Carmen Jones - 1954

Gigi - 1958

Musicals and comedies are the easiest for me to pick. I march with those who not only made *The Sound of Music* the most successful musical film of all time, but also the most successful roadshow film of all time. But, I can accept *The Music Man* or *West Side Story*.

in no order, this is what I think:

singin' in the rain

west side story

the bandwagon

meet me in st louis

shall we dance (I prefer it to Top Hat)

fiddler on the roof

42nd street

gold diggers of 1933

seven brides for seven brothers

the sound of music

I could be here all day if I don't stop now. so I'm stopping

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Nothing from before 1960?

I'm not such a tremendous fan of musicals. Plus, my list changes depending on the category. Book musical vs. a movie with music. Original film musical vs. a Broadway adaptation, etc. I like some musical films, prior to 1960, but my favorites are from 1960 onward.

"The Music Man," starring Robert Preston and Shirley Jones, was my first taste of movie musicals and it's one of my favorites. (I've also seen it performed on the stage and loved that performance too.) It's just a fun, silly, feel-good musical that depicts All-American slice of life!!

And "Show Boat" from 1951 takes the cake for me!! Howard Keel's voice is beautiful. The love story is beautiful. The colors are beautiful. Everything is beautiful!!

Not in any particular order - a partial list:

The Sound of Music

Oklahoma

The King and I

South Pacific

Wizard of Oz

*"Hollywood Golightly said:*

*Well, I think the first 5 were a pretty big clue.*

*How about State Fair (1945)? Do you like that one too? I love it!"*

That's one I haven't seen. There also was Carousel and Flower Drum Song, both of which I've only seen bits and pieces.

The 1936 "Show Boat" is much better than the 1951 one. The Warner Archive should issue it on DVD.

Message was edited by: AlbertCD

> {quote:title=AlbertCD wrote:}{quote}

> The 1936 "Show Boat" is much better than the 1951 one. The Warner Archive should issue it on DVD.

>

There's actually been talk for some time now that WHV may release a Show Boat boxset with the 3 versions - 1929, 1936 and 1951.

_Les parapluies de Cherbourg_ (1964)

_The Umbrellas of Cherbourg_ (French: Les Parapluies de Cherbourg) is a musical film made in 1964. It was directed by Jacques Demy, and stars Catherine Deneuve and Nino Castelnuovo. The music was written by Michel Legrand. The film dialogue is all sung as recitative, even the most casual conversation.

*1 of my all time favorite musicals!!*

ParapluiePoster.jpg

> {quote:title=CelluloidKid wrote:}{quote}

> _Les parapluies de Cherbourg_ (1964)

>

>

> _The Umbrellas of Cherbourg_ (French: Les Parapluies de Cherbourg) is a musical film made in 1964. It was directed by Jacques Demy, and stars Catherine Deneuve and Nino Castelnuovo. The music was written by Michel Legrand. The film dialogue is all sung as recitative, even the most casual conversation.

>

I like it, too. Although, I prefer Demy's *The Young Girls of Rochefort*, but I cannot be objective about it. I saw it in a theater, during its initial release, and a friend of mine is in it. So that's why I prefer it. Both display tremendous use of color, and I love the use of exteriors, especially in 'Rochefort'. Although the obvious use of wigs on both Denuve and Dorleac is rather odd. Even back in 1968, I thought it.

I really like 42ND STREET, THE DOLLY SISTERS and KISMET. But, the best musical of all time is, clearly, THE SOUND OF MUSIC. Nothing else even comes close.