Sign in to follow this  
Robbie79

Best Musical of All Time

52 posts in this topic

i agree that Sound Of Music is wonderful, but i'm a caregiver for my mom (84) and she and her group love Nelson Eddy, Jeannette MacDonald and all the movies they are in. Some of them are available on vhs, but not often.

> {quote:title=sunlite wrote:}{quote}

> i agree that Sound Of Music is wonderful, but i'm a caregiver for my mom (84) and she and her group love Nelson Eddy, Jeannette MacDonald and all the movies they are in. Some of them are available on vhs, but not often.

I'd say the Eddy-MacDonald musicals are long overdue on DVD, but hopefully they'll wait and release them in a proper boxset rather than relegate them to the Warner Archives.

Heremy list in no particular orderH

Pal Joey-- Sinatra being Sinatra with Kim Novak & Rita Heyward keeping Frank on his toes.

South Pacific-- ahhh MItzi and Boody Mary & some great songs

Bandwagon- dare I??? AHHH Cyd & a d*** good cast with D*** good songs(triplets) best no.

Okalahoma- Shirley Jones too nice to ahh but the movie isn`t(people will say were in love)best no.

Daddy Long Legs-- Fred & Leslie he never danced with a better partner (`the slewfoot`best number)

West side Story-Bersteins music match the visuals so perfectly-( "America" best number)

State Fair- the 60's version with Tom Ewell,Anne Margret,Bobby Darin( this isn`t heaven`best number)

Phantom of the Opera- Emmy Rossum her voice & range are beyond compare

Grease- whats not to like about this joyous romp in the past,( your the one that i want, best number)

Singing in the Rain--Gene, Debbie, Donald (make em laugh, & the title song best numbers)

Theres no Business like Show Business- Dan,Donald,ethel,Mitzi- dynamite on film

Anything else with Dan Daley or Donald OConnor

Thanks and i do enjoy Phantom when i first got the DVD I drove my wife almost mad by playing it over and over.. I had to give it rest when she threatened to hurt me.

> {quote:title=stjohnrv wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks and i do enjoy Phantom when i first got the DVD I drove my wife almost mad by playing it over and over.. I had to give it rest when she threatened to hurt me.

Well, I hope you can still watch it from time to time... maybe when she's not home? ;)

In all the memory searching I think we have overlooked a recent movie musical that delivered all the excitement and joy we expect from a musical:

MAMA MIA!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by: stjohnrv on Nov 25, 2009 3:20 PM

Well, yes, no question about it - I think that Mamma Mia! was without a doubt the most successful movie musical adaptation of the last decade or so - and I don't mean only at the box-office.

I'm still a bit disappointed that they couldn't have made a better movie of Rent, but at least the stage original is now available on DVD and blu-ray.

Chess is another good stage musical that will probably never be made into a movie - but at least there's a DVD of Chess: In Concert that is pretty good.

My faves in no particuliar order.......

Singin In The Rain

Amercan In Paris

Oliver!

Sound Of Music

Grease

It's Always Fair Weather

Rocky Horror Picture Show

The Bandwagon

All the High School Musicals (My kids love them. The grooves are cool.)

I'm going to say that IMHO "Singin' In The Rain" is the best musical of all time.

Great musical numbers, dancing you can watch forever, wonderful catchy songs, lovely production numbers.

But unlike most musical, if you took away every last song and dance number... it'd STILL be a great comedy film! How many musical films have anything so good, between the musical numbers?

> {quote:title=Tampopo wrote:}{quote}

> But unlike most musical, if you took away every last song and dance number... it'd STILL be a great comedy film! How many musical films have anything so good, between the musical numbers?

That's a good point, Tampopo. And btw, welcome to the forums. :)

In no order:

Fiddler On The Roof

Mary Poppins (on my top 10 favorite movies ever)

Meet Me in St. Louis

Grease

Phantom Of The Opera

South Pacific

Wizard of Oz

My Fair Lady <3

Chicago

It's not entirely clear whether we're talking about musicals that are original to film or not. My favorite film adaptation of a stage musical is "South Pacific", mostly on the strength of its score. My favorite original film musical is "Easter Parade". I look forward to my annual viewing the way I used to look forward to "The Wizard of Oz" annually as a kid. Both Fred and Judy are totally vibrant and totally nuancd at the same time, which isn't always the case with musical performers. Throw in Ann Miller and you've got a winner!

P.S. I agree with previous posters that the 1940's "State Fair" is a delight. Also the 1960's version, in its own way.

Ultimately, my fave is Singin in the Rain.

But, I also love:

Annie

Annie Get Your Gun

Broadway Melody of 1938

Chicago

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Easter Parade

Gigi

Grease

Little Shop of Horrors

Mary Poppins

The Music Man (64)

Newsies

Oklahoma! (55)

Oliver! (68)

On the Town

Pajama Game

Road to Morocco

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Show Boat (any of them)

The Sound of Music

A Star is Born (54)

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

The Unsinkable Molly Brown

West Side Story

The Wizard of Oz

Yankee Doodle Dandy

I could actually go on, but I think I'll stop there. :)

Some of my favorites are:

Top Hat

Gold Diggers of 1933

Holiday Inn

Singin In the Rain

Pajama Game

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Kiss Me Kate

Sound of Music

Little Shop of Horrors

Chicago

I think my all-time favorite is Kiss Me Kate. I love listening to the soundtrack too - especially Howard Keel - Hubba Hubba!!

Jolene

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> I've never heard of NEWSIES.

Depending on your tastes, you might consider yourself lucky. ;)

It's a depression-era musical about newsboys from the director of the High School Musical movies.

"Newsies" has one great number "King of New York". Of course my choice for Best Musical of All Time would be : either "Singing in the Rain" or " The Band Wagon"