Sign in to follow this  
freddyathome

silent film crushes

1,311 posts in this topic

Karin, Wendy,

Here is the other still from THE COSSACKS. I just posted my old GAOH review from 2008 on the Classic Film Union. Trying to drum up interest in getting this film on TCM.

TheCossacks-WoundedHeartscopy.jpg

*"Wounded Hearts"*

Karin,

Thanks for the links. This still of Colleen might be from *SMILING IRISH EYES* too, but I am not for sure. It's a nice photo though.

Colleen-BarredatTheDoorcopy.jpg

*Colleen-"Barred At The Door?"*

You can count on my vote and my viewing in regards to "The Cossacks". As a devoted Gilbert / Adoree fan, this is one on my wish list.

gilfair,

I just sent you a PM. Incidentally, did you see *THE SHOW* when it premiered on TCM a few years back? Or is this another title you have been waiting on?

gagman,

I did have the chance to see "The Show" and was fascinated by Gilbert's willingness even then to play a less than lovable character. Renee Adoree had an almost childlike vulnerability and could break your heart when her character was treated so badly by Gilbert. "Twelve Miles Out" is almost equal to "The Cossacks" on my wishlist.

gilfair,

Did you get my PM? I kind of figure that TCM/Warner's is far more likely to get to TWELVE MILES OUT before THE COSSACKS or MAN, WOMAN & SIN, strictly because of Joan Crawford. Most of Joan's other surviving MGM Silents have already been scored. She seems to be the lone reason for this, when you look at films like THE BOOB (not very good), and the William Haines comedy SPRING FEVER for example.

Some sources say that FOUR WALLS is lost, but other's seem to indicate that a print might be at Eastman House. For a long time only 45 Minutes of TWELVE MILES OUT was believed to exist in 9.5 Millimeter reduction format. Now we know that Warner's has the complete film in 35 Millimeter.

FORBIDDEN HOURS (1928) with Renee and Ramon Novarro is still listed as lost some places, but it isn't. Warner's has a complete print and have for well over a decade.

Wendy,

An incredibly beautiful and statuesque young Colleen in this photo. Moore full figured, as it's one of the few times she is not tied down in some constrictive Flapper dress. I don't have a title for this photograph? Any ideas?

ColleenMoorewithWalkingStickcopy.jpg

I think I'd call it "Fashion Plate" or something like that. I am not very good with titles....

Style wise, it looks like it came from 1924-1925ish, but the hemline seems so high, more like 1926 or 1927 .... interesting. DO you know what year it is?

Wendy,

No, I do not know what year it is. But I am inclined to believe that it is from the early 20's rather the the latter part of the decade. I have seen Colleen in a similar outfit from a still too a film made in 1921. I have forgotten the title.

Here is a fun photo of Anita Page and little friends, A charming photo that I just found earlier this evening.

AnitaPageToyHuggscopy.jpg

*Anita-"Toy Hugs"*

Yes, I hit on a treasure trove of Anita photos - some of them are too small for you to use, or are fashion oriented, but I still thought they were cool -

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Wendy,

Many of these I do not have. None of the magazine pages. Thanks allot. Really some great stuff. Anita is such a Knockout.

Your gonna love this one. A flirty Anita and Lon. Err, might they perhaps be up to something here? Hmm, One wonders?

AnitaandLonFlirtALittle.jpg

*Lon Chaney and Anita Page-"A Little Hanky-Panky Maybe?" From WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (MGM, 1928)*

Wendy,

Here is your favorite in the Flapper Hat. I worked on this a long while ago, but just signed the picture now.

AnitaPageEnchantingSmile.jpg

*Anita-"Enchanting Smile"*

I'm sorry to be so long in replying, but there was a death in the family, a forty-eight hour bug and work to catch up on. Thanks, I did receive your PM. I also appreciated the tip regarding "Twelve Miles Out" being packaged as a Joan Crawford silent. I could have easily missed that as I would be more focused on John Gilbert releases. It's sad that the companies in control of these films seem uninterested in their re-releases. Too bad some film appreciation society couldn't get the rights and release on a limited basis, recognizing that this is as I said earlier, a niche market.

gilfair,

It's pure speculation on my part that Warner's might take a good look at TWELVE MILES OUT, and give it some serious consideration because of Crawford. But that has been the case certainly with some of her other films.

The selection process in choosing what Silent films long buried in the vault to score seems almost totally at random to me. With the exception of Crawford, and maybe Lon Chaney, I have not been able to decipher any real pattern in the choice of titles whatsoever. Of course there is also SALLY, IRENE and MARY, With Crawford, Sally O'Neil, and Joan Bennett, but I think that's tied up in other rights issues as well? Something to do with the studio who released the later sound remake I believe.

Wendy,

Wow! This photo just amazes me. Very stunning in Monochrome, and I wasn't sure that I would be able to do the picture justice in color or not. Fortunately, it turned out quite well. What a gorgeous portrait.

LillianGishSoulfulEyes.jpg

*Lillian Gish-"Breathtakingly Beautiful"*

Wendy,

Yes, It is one of the prettiest photos of a young Lillian I have ever seen. Not having much luck at all finding Valentine stuff. Posted this last year.

AnitaPageSmoochedByJohnnyMackValentine.j

*Anita Smooched by Johnny Mack Brown*