hlywdkjk

TCM Honors Memorial Day Adjunct Poster Gallery

167 posts in this topic

Taking advantage of the opportunity to post tonight...

*Sorry the page is overwhelmed with these large files. I was unable to post all afternoon.*

This Memorial Day, as the 90th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Versailles approaches, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will honor the soldiers who fought during the war with a special primetime showcase of five outstanding films. The evening will be hosted by TCM?s Robert Osborne and National World War I Museum Vice President Eli Paul.

WWI_67_Subway4

WWI_65_Subway1

WWI_66_Subway2

WWI_74_Subway3

Kyle, thanks for posting these. They are pieces of history that I did not know existed. It shows the background of activity and involvement at home (U.S.) during WWI.

*"Kyle, thanks for posting these. They are pieces of history that I did not know existed."* - cinemafan

You're most welcome. Learning something new is always a thrill and definitely worthwhile.

*"It shows the background of activity and involvement at home (U.S.) during WWI."*

That was my original focus - though it was expanded as the gallery grew. And it is certainly a more enlightened expression than "Go shopping."

Kyle In Hollywood

*"Kyle - that third poster pulls no punches!"* - cinemafan

According to Rudy Franchi of Antiques Roadshow fame, that is "the rarest" of all WWI posters. Even more valuable than the famous "I Want You..." poster of Uncle Sam. And probably the most famous war propaganda poster too.

http://americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/online/posters/essay-enlist.html

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks for this thread, Kyle. It took me a while to get back here, for obvious reasons. It's nice to see all of these posters in one place, and a wonderful tribute.

*"Thanks for this thread, Kyle."* - patful

You're truly welcome. It was a great pleasure to put this together. I had you mind when doing it.

So, what branch of the service were you in anyway?

Kyle (just curious) In Hollywood

*So, what branch of the service were you in anyway?* - Kyle

None. I tried to join the Air Force after college, but was refused because of asthma. They were picky in the 80's. :-( But I was an Air Force brat, and have lived my entire life among the military.

Thank you for all the WWI posters. I?m certain that most of us have never seen them. The reason that our side won both wars is because of the willingness of our people to pitch in and sacrifice where needed to help our soldiers and those of our allies. Our civilian parents and grandparents must have felt they had a real stake in the outcome and were fighting as hard on the home front as the soldiers were in battle. We all had it on 09/11 and I believe that if needed we would have it again. You made this day memorable and I appreciate it.

*"Thank you for all the WWI posters. I?m certain that most of us have never seen them. You made this day memorable and I appreciate it."* - wouldbestar

Thanks for the compliments. I truly appreciate them.

The WWI posters were posted last year when TCM focused on World War I on the Monday of the long weekend. I resurrected the thread (against the "house rules") due to "popular demand" and because I found some equally intesting images that I felt deserved to be seen - for various reasons - though likely not as memorable as some of the best images from last year.

This gallery will be updated throughout this Monday holiday.

Thanks again.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on May 31, 2010 11:18 AM

THANK YOU, Mr. In Hollywood!!! What a find you have here.

Some really nice additions so far. I like the "Women in the Ranks" section.. but OH, the "Returning Wounded"... wow.

This thread is a great way to revisit history and look back on some very amazing art work too. (And as much as I enjoy your new ones, I am going to go back through and revisit last years too because I recall they were really something special)

Thanks again for all your extra effots. :D