hlywdkjk

TCM Honors Memorial Day Adjunct Poster Gallery

167 posts in this topic

Thanks, Kyle, and welcome back from the abyss! You must have been working overtime yesterday to find all of those. The Wounded posters are brutal, I can't imagine how those affected people when they saw those images. And I love the Women in the Ranks posters. Just beautiful. But I've got to say, those ladies could give any Hollywood starlet a run for their money. I wonder if all of them looked like that? ;-) And you included a lovely image of an F4F Wildcat for me, too! Thanks again.

*"I like the "Women in the Ranks" section.."* - rohanaka

Me too, even though, unlike *Mister Roberts* or *Operation Petticoat*, I doubt if hilarity ever did ensue because of the women's presence.

*"but OH, the "Returning Wounded"... wow."*

I was really pleased TCM spent a night focusing on the returning wounded on Saturday. I applaud whoever it was that made that theme a priority this year. (I tried to watch *Birdy* but it was too much to take in after *The Best Years Of Our Lives* and *Pride Of The Marines*.

So happy you're happy. This is all because of you, ya know.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"Thanks, Kyle, and welcome back from the abyss!"* - patful

I still fear my posting ability could disappear again on a moment's notice so I will take advantage of it while I can.

*"I love the Women in the Ranks posters. Just beautiful. But I've got to say, those ladies could give any Hollywood starlet a run for their money."*

They DO all look like Hollywood ingenues, don't they. (And not a "Petty Girl" in the bunch!)

*"And you included a lovely image of an F4F Wildcat for me, too!"*

I did? I didn't mean to!

Oh, is that what is airborne behind the Marine Reservist? I am surprised you even noticed it at all. (Not really!)

Time for Set Three...

Kyle In Hollywood

TCM & Kyle In Hollywood Salute Memorial Day Weekend 2010

_Morale Posters of WWII_

Part Three

*For 'Patful"*

For Service Above and Beyond the Call of Duty this Weekend

src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4654698045_fb9e7a93aa_b.jpg" width="515" height="785" alt="MemDay10" />

src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4655314448_5f7282a608_b.jpg" width="511" height="782" alt="MemDay11" />

src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4654146857_7d622003d6_b.jpg" width="514" height="782" alt="MemDay09" />

(Military Recognition Posters for Airplane Manufacturer)

I was really pleased TCM spent a night focusing on the returning wounded on Saturday. I applaud whoever it was that made that theme a priority this year. (I tried to watch Birdy but it was too much to take in after The Best Years Of Our Lives and Pride Of The Marines.

You did better than I did.. ha. I was such an emotional wreck after TBYOOL (this was my second time watching within the last few months) that I didn't even TRY to handle anything else, ha. But you are right, it really is a great theme for TCM to focus on at this time of year. I think they did a great job with all their selections this time.

This is all because of you, ya know

Oh great.. first Miss Goddess and gagman have me boo-hooing over Four Sons, and now THIS. ha. But thank you for thinking of me.. and ps: I am glad to be the squeaky wheel if it got you to revive this thread. But I know it is a LOT of work for you to put it all together. THANKS again for all your extra efforts. :-)

Ooh! Ahh! You might not be able to surprise me with an unseen O'Brien poster, but you certainly do with everything else. The only aircraft factory posters I've ever seen were Grumman's. These are really nice. Thanks, Kyle.

TCM & Kyle In Hollywood Salute Memorial Day Weekend 2010

_Morale Posters of WWII_

Part Four

*For 'Patful"*

For Service Above and Beyond the Call of Duty this Weekend

src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/4654695865_021e4e3a3e.jpg" width="500" height="325" alt="MemDay12" />

src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4654769566_e1f3564bd3.jpg" width="500" height="330" alt="MemDay07" />

src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4654148305_aabe116bb8.jpg" width="500" height="329" alt="MemDay08" />

(Military Recognition/Motivational Posters for Airplane Manufacturer)

More great factory posters! Thanks, Kyle. And I love the Roosevelt and the sad little dog. But the "Sacrifice" poster is just brilliant. No wonder it won an award. Thanks.

*"More great factory posters! Thanks, Kyle."* - patful

You're more than welcome. You earned them this weekend. (Thanks again for your help and guidance with working around the bugs of these boards.) So, do you know which manufacturers were responsible for each of those planes? Just curious. (I assume the planes in the posters weren't made by the same manufacturer.)

*"And I love the Roosevelt and the sad little dog. But the "Sacrifice" poster is just brilliant. No wonder it won an award. Thanks."*

I almost put a few of those aside for use another time. I felt it might be "too much" to put all three of those up at once. I pity poor 'rohanaka'. I fear her waterworks might start up all over again.

Kyle In Hollywood

*So, do you know which manufacturers were responsible for each of those planes?* - Kyle

Yes, sir, my favorite subject.

Consolidated B-24 Liberator, North American B-25 Mitchell, Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, North American P-51 Mustang (early Allison-powered model), Douglas C-54 Skymaster, and Curtiss C-46 Commando.

Edited by: patful on May 31, 2010 11:08 PM, it's getting late and I typed Cargomaster instead of Skymaster, bedtime!

I almost put a few of those aside for use another time. I felt it might be "too much" to put all three of those up at once. I pity poor 'rohanaka'. I fear her waterworks might start up all over again.

Oh my dear sir, I am so glad you did not put them aside. And Patful is right, the "Sacrifice" one IS brilliant.. and utterly beautiful. I think it is my most favorite of all from this year's batch.

And yes.. ha.. the waterworks are in full gear these last few days. (I am going to have to buy more stock in Kleenex at the rate I am going, ha)

But I guess I just get so worked up over the themes associated with this particular holiday. So many people see it only as a chance to get out and have fun.. and never (I mean never) truly stop to appreciate the meaning behind the word "Memorial".

Sacrifice... that is the perfect word for what these honored dead have given us. Their sacrifice is our gain, and I am truly, truly privilged to remember them today. (And hope to be more faithful in remembering them... and their families all throughout the year).

Thank you again, sir, for sharing these very special images.. and the messages attatched with so many of them as well.

*"Oh my dear sir, I am so glad you did not put them aside. And Patful is right, the "Sacrifice" one IS brilliant.. and utterly beautiful. I think it is my most favorite of all from this year's batch."* - rohanaka

Then I am glad I posted it along with all the others today.

*"Thank you again, sir, for sharing these very special images.."*

And "Thank you" for motivating me to add to this gallery once again. It's been a pleasure.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"Yes, sir, my favorite subject."* - patful

Nicely done. Thanks for sharing all that information.

Now, can you name (if it is even possible) certain films in which any of these planes played a central part? Now I am curious to know if they were "featured players" in any of the most popular WWII films. And who better to ask?

Kyle In Hollywood

*Now, can you name...certain films in which any of these planes played a central part?* - Kyle

Oooh, a challenge! Here goes.

*B-25* : An easy one, *Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo*, *Catch 22* .

*P-47* : *Fighter Squadron* .

*P-51* : A Korean War movie, *Battle Hymn*, a very memorable scene in *Empire of the Sun*, and they were used in place of Messerschmitts in many movies, including *Fighter Squadron* .

*B-24* : *Winged Victory* .

*C-54* : I can't think of a WWII movie, so I'll go with *The Big Lift* , about the Berlin Airlift.

*C-46* : I can't think of any offhand, but they were widely used flying the "hump" from India to China, so maybe a movie on the subject would have them.

I'm sure there are many others, but these are what I could come up with off the top of my head. Five out of six, I've failed! :-)

Yes. some women in the service really did look like those in the posters. The WAVE looks quite a bit like my mother did only Mom was even more of a dish according to her in uniform photo. It was not passed down to me. In any event, those ladies, regardless of looks, served their country in whatever way was needed and made their families proud.

*"...these are what I could come up with off the top of my head. Five out of six, I've failed!"* - patful

Far from it, my friend. You're too hard on yourself.

Thanks alot for those you did come up with. I was wondering if the "Mitchell" was the plane used in *Thirty Seconds...* but thought it couldn't be if it was considered a "medium range" bomber. So it is no surprise that I was wrong.

How about one for the "F4F Wildcat" you noticed first?

And I think I will suggest you host a night of military plane movies on TCM. I bet you'd really impress RO.

Kyle In Hollywood

*How about one for the "F4F Wildcat" you noticed first?* - Kyle

Another of my favorites, *Wake Island* .

*I bet you'd really impress RO.*

With my astounding ability to put him to sleep in the red chair? :-) Besides, I've forgotten most of what I used to know. I do know of a guy who could do the job incredibly well, though.

*"Another of my favorites, "Wake Island"."* - patful

Amazing. You rattle this stuff off so easily.

*"With my astounding ability to put him to sleep in the red chair?"*

well, you could always throw in a story or two about the squirrels. That ought to perk him up.

Kyle In Hollywood

Updating the Memorial Day Auxiliary Gallery for 2011

A Collection of Government War Propaganda Posters

-----------------------

Copy of PearlHarbor01

Copy of PearlHarbor02

Copy of PearlHarbor03

Copy of PearlHarbor04

I don't think I ever saw this thread before, Kyle...it's fascinating, especially the Lusitania posters.

Sad, though. I thought for a couple minutes that patful was back.