hlywdkjk

TCM Honors Memorial Day Adjunct Poster Gallery

168 posts in this topic

Updating the Memorial Day Auxiliary Gallery for 2011

A hearty and sincere "WOO HOO" to you, Mr. In Hollywood. :-) This is turning into a favorite annual tradition for me. I can see you are already getting off to a grand start this year. Thank you for all your extra efforts

*"Every Man, Woman and Child is a partner in the most tremendous undertaking of our American History."*

A Collection of WWII Government War Propaganda Posters

----------------

Copy of WarWork06

Copy of WarWork01

Copy of WarWork04

*"I don't think I ever saw this thread before, Kyle...it's fascinating, especially the Lusitania posters. Sad, though. I thought for a couple minutes that patful was back."* - JackFavell

Sorry it somehow slipped by you in years past but happy you found your way here this year. It makes updating the thread every year so you and others can catch up the right choice.

And I miss our friend greatly too - especially during this weekend.

--------------

*"A hearty and sincere "WOO HOO" to you, Mr. In Hollywood. This is turning into a favorite annual tradition for me."* - rohanaka

Thanks. I hope you will enjoy the choices I've made for 2011. It might actually be a "kleenex-free" year for you.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"Every Man, Woman and Child is a partner in the most tremendous undertaking of our American History."*

----------------

Copy of WarWork05

Copy of WarWork03

Copy of WarWork02

----------------

Copy of CropCorps01

Copy of CropCorps01b

Copy of CropCorps02

*"Hey, Kyle... post the 'grow hemp for victory' poster, if you can..."* - VX

I haven't come across that one. Each of the U.S. Crop Corps posters were recent finds.

But now I understand why doing a search of "US Crop Corps" results in sites like "SuccessfulStoners".

Kyle In Hollywood

I hope you will enjoy the choices I've made for 2011.

I DO!!! And I really like the theme this year too! ( I think WWII especially can be considered a time that completely changed the face and the mindset too, of the American workforce forever) What a great idea for a collection.

I like the Crop Corps a lot but I REALLY like the one with the wife holding the letters.. "Longing won't bring him back sooner... " Oh me, very emotional. I also like the Rockwell ones. (especially the mom and dad tucking their kids in bed. Oh.. and read on to find out WHY I like THAT one so much)

It might actually be a "kleenex-free" year for you

NOT... ha.You forget who you are talking to.. the woman who "sniffles" at the drop of a hat.. But truly.. I have to say, though I really enjoy all the pics you have posted so far, I LIKE all the "emotional" images best..so I can live w/ a tear or two. It's a small price to pay indeed)

So having said that, lest you doubt my "cry-ability" with the pics you have started with so far, ha.. go check out Miss G's Movie Rambles thread and see what your Rockwell pic of the mom and dad started for me today.. ha. I have cried at least THREE times since I saw your post... and I blame you. (but I mean that in a good way) :-)

Thanks again for putting this together. I really think it is an excellent way to honor the occassion and I appreciate your hard work.

----------------

Copy of Rationing08

Copy of Rationing04

Copy of Rationing05

----------------

Copy of Rationing08

Copy of Rationing04

Copy of Rationing05

-----------------------

Copy of Rationing03

Copy of Rationing02

Copy of Rationing01

*"...lest you doubt my "cry-ability" with the pics you have started with so far, ha.. go check out Miss G's Movie Rambles thread and see what your Rockwell pic of the mom and dad started for me today.. ha. I have cried at least THREE times since I saw your post... and I blame you. (but I mean that in a good way)"* - rohanaka

I hope ration stamps don't start you sobbing.

I'll take responsiblity for only so much. You and your post in the Rambles is completely your doing - and so nicely done too. (Makes me want to watch *Empire Of The Sun* again soon.) I'm pleased this thread was the catalyst to your post over there.

I'm partial to the "Freedom Of Religion" image - mostly for the added line of "Each according to the dictates of his own conscience." because that conditional description is too often disregarded in America today. Religion was a personal and private matter. I wish it was that way again.

Kyle In Hollywood

-----------------------

Copy of WarTravel02

Copy of WarTravel01

Copy of WarTravel03

-----------------------

Copy of WarProd10

Copy of WarProd14

Copy of WarProd11

*"Ooooh, a Fred Chance railroad poster! Incredible!"* - smileys

You recognize the artist? Amazing!

Planes and now Trains. Got a fondness for Automobiles too? I have original artwork of a DeSoto advertisement if you want to create a triptych.

Kyle In Hollywood

hope ration stamps don't start you sobbing

Ha.. I am trying to keep it together. :D

Admittedly, most of this year's selections are not quite as emotion packed, but you still have some really great selections. I think I still like all the Rockwell ones and the lady with the letter best, but I also really like the last several too.

The ration one that says "To speed our boys home" and the "Vacation at home" are terrific. And I am also leaning toward the sailor thanking the workers as among my faves now too. Because these all really are what this was all about.. just as your title says... "EVERY man woman and child". They all worked together and I truly believe that is what made us able to succeed as much as anything.. so maybe I am not overcome by waterworks, but the gratitude and admiration are still there, because if you think about it.. you really have to admire the folks who adopted this "everything for our troops" mindset and sacrificed here at home on behalf of our men and women overseas. It wasn't easy for them I am sure.

I wonder if we would see that again, if it came down to it in the here and now. We are often just so selfish as a nation sometimes. Though surely there are some who may not be this way, it is sad to see how we have grown so demanding (for our own wants and wishes) and called it "assertiveness" just to make ourselves feel better about it. We have little concept now days for the sorts of struggles these folks must have made to help our men and women in uniform. I'd like to think we would all be able rise to the occassion again, should the need arise, but boy, I hate to confess, this would be a time I'd have to see it to believe it.

I'm partial to the "Freedom Of Religion" image - mostly for the added line of "Each according to the dictates of his own conscience." because that conditional description is too often disregarded in America today. Religion was a personal and private matter. I wish it was that way again

It is a great poster. I like it a lot too. And you are right that the words expressed in the caption are often disregarded these days. To me it is a valuable right that I hold very dear, which makes it especially important above all else, to show respect to people of other faiths, even when we disagree. And so often that goes out the window (sadly) when a subject like this comes up. I think everyone should be allowed to express their faith... so long as it is done with respect for those who may disagree. But it is that whole "respect for other opinions" thing that most folks have a problem with (again.. quite sadly) and that is when things can get out of hand.

Oh good gravy.. enough of my "soapboxing". (sorry for the "blabbage") Back to the POSTERS!! Because I am just glad to have the chance to view all these images together. You really have a knack for putting this stuff into a very nice package and presenting it all.

Hats off to you, sir. :-)

*Got a fondness for Automobiles too?* - hlywdkjk

Yep. I worship planes, love trains, and like cars. And legs, too. :-)