hlywdkjk

TCM Honors Memorial Day Adjunct Poster Gallery

168 posts in this topic

Chief,

Very cool posters this year! I think you may have outdone last year!

And a big welcome to Smileys, great to have another train lover (and legs) here! Yay! :)

*"Every Man, Woman and Child is a partner in the most tremendous undertaking of our American History."*

A Collection of WWII Government War Propaganda Posters

-------------------

Copy of BondDrive05

Copy of BondLoan03

Copy of BondLoan04

*"Every Man, Woman and Child is a partner in the most tremendous undertaking of our American History."*

-------------------

Copy of BondLoan05

Copy of BondLoan06

Copy of BondLoan07

Lovely posters. Somebody better keep rohanaka from reading up on the USS Dorado , definitely worth a good cry. :-(

-------------------

Copy of 002

Copy of 001

Copy of 003

-----------------------------

*WE ARE NOW IN THIS WAR*

*_We Are All In It All The Way_*

*Every Man, Woman and Child is a partner in the most tremendous undertaking of our American History*

Copy of WarProd12

keep rohanaka from reading up on the USS Dorado

Gulp.. will have to check on that one another time.. I just got finished watching the PBS special on War Letters and am a total mess. So I will have to recover from that first.

PS: Mr. In Hollywood.. these images from today are among the best this year so far! I really like the one that shows the two eras (1778/1943) together. I have seen others like that before (maybe even in this thread, I can't recall for sure) but I don't think it was WWII. I think the one I am remembering most was from the first World War (but my memory may be failing me at my advanced age). At any rate.. it is a truly fine looking poster. Thanks again.

*"...you really have to admire the folks who adopted this "everything for our troops" mindset and sacrificed here at home on behalf of our men and women overseas. It wasn't easy for them I am sure. I wonder if we would see that again, if it came down to it in the here and now."* - rohanaka

I think there is an interesting and valuable documentary to be made in a thorough examination of the homefront during WWII. Obviously there are many stories, such as the U.S. Crop Corps, left untold. (If 'smileys' is unawares, then most folks must be.) Such commitment to the country's needs fascinates me.

Honestly, I truly doubt it could be seen again. This country is balkanized and divided so completely that half the population distrusts the other half. And a majority of all adult citizens distrust their Government to do what is right for the Nation. So ideas such as "price controls", "wage ceilings" and "ration stamps" would never find their way into the public sphere. And America is diminished because of that.

Kyle In Hollywood

Remembering Memorial Day. 2012.

Because Holiday Traditions - No Matter The Form or Style - Are Important.

Remembering Memorial Day, 2012.

Works of Jes W. Schlaikjer, WWII Artist for the War Department.

Copy of </p><p> </p><p>schlaikjer011

Copy of </p><p> </p><p>schlaikjer016

Copy of </p><p> </p><p>200911231565128L

Thank you,THANK YOU, Mr. In Hollywood!!!

There are some truly special pics in here to be sure. These latest additions are absolutely beautiful. (especially like the infantry one) I am going to come back later and look through all of them again.

What a wonderful tribute you have collected here these last few years!! It is a very nice way to honor the holiday. (and the men and women who served) Thanks again. :)

*"Thank you,THANK YOU, Mr. In Hollywood!"* - rohanaka

You're Most Welcome!

It pleases me to know how much pleasure you - and some special others - get from this thread.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}*"Every Man, Woman and Child is a partner in the most tremendous undertaking of our American History."*

>

>

>

> A Collection of WWII Government War Propaganda Posters

>

>

>

> -----

> 5774196913_075b46dcab_z.jpgCopy

Thanks, Kyle, for posting my favorite Patriotic war poster of them all. It was painted by N.C. Wyeth.

Works of Jes W. Schlaikjer, WWII Artist for the War Department and the Red Cross.

Copy of schlaikjer013

Copy of schlaikjer015_1947RedCross

Original Artwork for Post-War Use

Copy of schlaikjer018

Great art work, Kyle! The guy in this one looks so much like a young Jeff Goldblum, to me.

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}Remembering Memorial Day, 2012.

>

> Works of Jes W. Schlaikjer, WWII Artist for the War Department.

>

> 7278329200_6d90af358f_o.jpg Copy of schlaikjer011 of schlaikjer011 by hlywdkjk, on Flickr

>

Works Of McClelland Barclay USNR, for the U.S. Navy Recruiting Office.

An accomplished painter, illustrator, sculptor and jewelry designer, McClelland Barclay had developed a very successful art career by the time he became a Lieutenant in the Naval Reserve in 1938. On 19 October 1940, Barclay reported for active duty. He served in the New York Recruiting Office, designing posters over the next two and a half years that would become some of the Navy's most popular recruiting images of World War II. With the entrance of the United States into the war in 1941, he volunteered to become a combat artist. Though not accepted as a part of the official Combat Art Section, he fulfilled similar functions through the Recruiting Office.

LCDR Barclay made short tours of duty in both the Atlantic and the Pacific. On 18 July 1943, Barclay was aboard LST-342 (Group 14, Flotilla 5) when it was torpedoed by Japanese submarine Ro-106 at 1:30 a.m. He had been on board since the first of the month, sketching and taking photographs, during which time LST-342 had been carrying ammunition and supplies to Rendova, New Georgia in the Solomon Islands from Guadalcanal. The torpedo struck the aft portion of the ship where officers and others, including Barclay, were berthed. The stern sank immediately. Barclay, along with most of the crew, perished. The bow of the LST remained afloat and was towed to a beach on the island of Ghavutu so that any useable equipment could be salvaged. Remains of the ship are still rusting there today. Barclay was posthumously awarded the Purple Heart Medal, and entitled to the American Defense Service Medal, Fleet Clasp; the Asiatic-Pacific Area Campaign Medal; the American Area Campaign Medal and the World War II Victory Medal.

http://www.history.navy.mil/ac/artist/b/barclay/barclay%201.html

Copy of Barclay02

Copy of Barclay03

Copy of Barclay06

Thanks for your postive comments everyone.

Your reactions tell me resurrecting this thread a worthwhile endeavor.

Kyle In Hollywood

He's BBBBBAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK and the Message Board's got 'im!

These Memorial Day Posters are lovely, Kyle. Thank you for sharing them with us!

You certainly are off to a grand start this year, sir. Thanks for posting the info on Barclay. He had a gift, to be sure.

But so far for this year, I think the ones by Schlaikjer are my most fave. I love all the different groups (infantry, engineers, and the military police even) but OH the medical ones..those are SOMETHING. The one with the nurse hugging the little girl is quite special. (and the one above that one: "Service above self"... oh me, quite breathtaking)

We did not get to go out to our traditional "Celebration at the Station" event in KC(Memorial Day Concert and fireworks) this year (first time in over 7 yrs we have missed it, alas) So looking back through here has been a nice way to pass the evening.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Edited by: rohanaka on May 27, 2012 11:05 PM