hlywdkjk

TCM Honors Memorial Day Adjunct Poster Gallery

167 posts in this topic

My husband  and the Kidling.. outside the National WWI Museum in Kansas City, on a very (very) windy Spring day, April, 2014

020-Copy_zps84d7f560.jpg

023_zpscdf6bccc.jpg

The entrance door to the National WWI museum in Kansas City

101_zpsf387b696.jpg

One of the large murals inside the older section of the museum. 

106_zpsa20c63b6.jpg

A mural in honor of the nurses who served during WWI (in the older section of the museum) 

077-Copy_zps28432325.jpg

Photos of the various troops who served.. there is a large sliding magnifying glass that you can position over each section of the photos to see them in detail.

036_zps8d7a082d.jpg

A large wall display showing the various "flying aces" of WWI and the confirmed victories they won in flight.(and yes, von Richthofen aka: the "Red Baron" was there.. just like in the "Snoopy Song", ha.. eighty men really did die because of his success as a pilot.. we counted the little red planes to find out.. wowsa)

032_zps79ea4b7c.jpg

Checking out a reproduction of a German Trench. Turns out they were the most effective in constructing and using trenches throughout the war.Meanwhile.. about the LAST place you'd want to be was inside a FRENCH trench. According to the info we read, they were very ineffective, poorly designed and just generally a miserable place to hang out.. with or without a war going on all around you. (who knew??) :) 

072_zps0140c26f.jpg

Patful, this one's for you. :)

087_zpsd320b6e0.jpg

And for all the Will Roger's Fans (Miss Goddess, et al)  They had a really interesting exhibit that showed images of the different well known "faces" of the times and then the image would change and show a quote from that person. I had a really (really) hard time getting a good picture of any of it, because the images kept changing, ha. But I was finally able to get one of Will Rogers' face.. before it switched over. The quote they had displayed from Mr. Rogers:You can't say civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.   

A very fitting comment.. considering the technological advances and changing of times that came about just before and all throughout this period of history.    

• Like 1

And.. as promised. the POSTERS.. and these next few pics are only a FEW of all the various ones on display. (And if you have scrolled through all the older images in this thread, you will recognize some of them as the same ones Mr. In Hollywood posted too) 

064_zps20915bc5.jpg

056_zpsb798a367.jpg

067_zpsccea980e.jpg

028_zps454f5749.jpg

062_zps46295bed.jpg

One of the really fun parts of this museum are the several different interactive displays they had.. here the kidling is trying HER hand at making a propaganda poster: 

040_zps61c5254b.jpg

043_zps8bd38432.jpg

(this was one of her finished products, ha. Musta been close to lunch time when she made this one) :)

• Like 1

Well, I could spend all day posting more pics.. but I do not want to detract from the special images that are what this thread is all about.

So instead, I will stop with the ones I have posted already and just add that once again.. I just want to wish you all an early, and very Happy Memorial Day next week. I hope you'll remember to take time out to recall the reason for the upcoming holiday and be sure to say a word of thanks and respect to those who gave so much for our nation and it's freedom.

And thanks again, to our dear Mr.In Hollywood, for creating this special Memorial Day thread (and thanks too, to everyone, for letting me share these pics with you)    

Ro,

Thank you so much for sharing your trip to the WWI museum with us in this thread. I think Kyle would have gotten a big kick out of reading about your trip and seeing the lovely pictures.

Have been thinking a great deal about him this weekend and wishing he was still with us. I found this image while surfing for something else and wanted to share it with him.

pp_uk_36.jpg

• Like 3

With Memorial Day Weekend right around the corner, I find myself thinking again on our dear friend, Mr. "In Hollywood" (or Kyle.. as the rest of you may remember him) and how much he is missed. 

This particular thread is a personal favorite of mine and holds a lot of special meaning,  not just for memories of a dearly departed friend.. but just because of the wonderful tribute it became for the celebration of Memorial Day,  and for all the very special images that are collected here. 

If you are able.. be sure to take some time and scroll through the pages and you'll see what I mean. He really put a lot of thought and effort into each collection he did over the years. 

Happy Memorial Day, one and all.  And to Kyle "in Hollywood" may I just add.. God bless your memory. You are missed, dear sir. :)

memday%20poster%203_zpsindr2jl5.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, Ro, for remembering Kyle on this special day.

It's just not the same here without him but I like to think he is always with us, watching over us.

p_0014.jpg

• Like 2

Can't let this weekend go by without remembering this very special thread and the man who made it happen. I am very thankful to remember his friendship and all the hard work he put into all the images collected here. I hope others will take the time to scroll back through these pages and enjoy everything he posted in honor of this special holiday. It truly is something worth viewing.  

God bless the memories of the men and women who have paid the highest price in their service to our country. And God bless the memory of Kyle in Hollywood too. He is dearly missed

memday%20poster%201_zps2wkbmvkp.jpg

• Like 3

Came across this announcement today for a special exhibit coming to the WW1 Museum in Kansas City. Many of the images posted here in this thread can be found at the museum (and it sounds like there will be even more, with this special event) It put me in mind of this thread.. and of our dear friend, Mr. In Hollywood. He is the one who started this thread as a salute to a special  that TCM ran that year as a part of their tribute to Memorial Day. And he was so good to continue the thread for several more years after that, as a special favor to me and several others, in honor of the holiday.. and to showcase the many wonderful images he was able to find for us. He spent a lot of time and effort on choosing the images posted here.. and they really are something special.  

If you have not ever viewed this thread in its entirety, I recommend starting at page one and just take your time.. it is well worth a look. 

Meanwhile, here is the link to the special event at the WW1 Museum I mentioned... for anyone who might be interested. 

https://www.theworldwar.org/explore/exhibitions/current-exhibitions/posters-munitions?platform=hootsuite

• Like 1

Just wanted to bring this thread up for another year. It truly is something special and it is my most favorite memory of our dear friend, Kyle ( Mr. In Hollywood, as I liked to call him)

He spent a lot of time and effort in choosing the various themes and images each year as he developed this thread. And I am very happy to encourage others, who may not have looked through it all, to start at the beginning and work your way forward. You won't be disappointed. It truly is something special.

God bless the memory of our fine men and women who served and gave their all on behalf of this nation.. and God bless the memory of our friend, Kyle in Hollywood. You are missed, sir. 

Happy Memorial Day, one and all. 

6a00e552178e498833011570a40d58970b-600wi

• Like 1

Well.. sadly it appears that my free photobucket account is being held prisoner (by photobucket.. ha!) and the access I had to post pics from there has been removed unless I want to upgrade. But what is worse is that I also see now that all the pics I had posted on here previously (when the account was free) also appear to be lost too.. at least for viewing purposes on this website. And the images I posted have now been replaced by an annoying announcement by photobucket to update my account with them (from a free account to a paying one)  Now THAT is really disappointing (at least to me) because it has made a mess out of this thread in particular from some of the posts I have made to honor Kyle's efforts to showcase some really wonderful vintage images and artwork of our men and women in uniform and the armed services in general. 

So I apologize for all the "dopey looking" little announcements you will see to please upgrade my photobucket account.. but alas.. it is not in my budget to pay for such things, so I won't be doing that. And rather than go through this entire message board one post at a time to edit and delete all the pictures that USED to be there... I will just say... please enjoy all the posts from Kyle.. who is the one who started this thread in the first place. His posts are the ones that I wanted you to see here anyway, as they REALLY are worth viewing.. and you can just scroll right on through any of mine that have the annoying photobucket messages. :) 

God bless Kyle's memory.. he is dearly missed and I am glad that this thread is still available for you to enjoy. (even if you have to step over the puddles that were left by me in the wake of photobucket's changes to my acct.)  

Sorry for any inconvenience folks. :) 

• Like 1

Rohanaka, I'm so sorry. The same thing happened to all my photos in my photobucket account. I am just glad that Kyle's photos are still accessible on this forum. Take heart, dear girl. The lovely comments you made are still readable. :-)

• Like 1

Hello dear Sue Sue.. sorry to hear I am not alone (in the photobucket dilemma.)  I took a look on your thread... I am glad you found a good alternative. For my part.. I am SO happy that Kyle's posters were not lost. Boy.. that was the first thing I checked when I saw that mine were gone. What a relief to see that all his hard work is still able to be enjoyed! :) 

• Like 1

Well.. sadly it appears that my free photobucket account is being held prisoner (by photobucket.. ha!) and the access I had to post pics from there has been removed unless I want to upgrade. But what is worse is that I also see now that all the pics I had posted on here previously (when the account was free) also appear to be lost too.. at least for viewing purposes on this website. And the images I posted have now been replaced by an annoying announcement by photobucket to update my account with them (from a free account to a paying one)  Now THAT is really disappointing (at least to me) because it has made a mess out of this thread in particular from some of the posts I have made to honor Kyle's efforts to showcase some really wonderful vintage images and artwork of our men and women in uniform and the armed services in general. 

So I apologize for all the "dopey looking" little announcements you will see to please upgrade my photobucket account.. but alas.. it is not in my budget to pay for such things, so I won't be doing that. And rather than go through this entire message board one post at a time to edit and delete all the pictures that USED to be there... I will just say... please enjoy all the posts from Kyle.. who is the one who started this thread in the first place. His posts are the ones that I wanted you to see here anyway, as they REALLY are worth viewing.. and you can just scroll right on through any of mine that have the annoying photobucket messages. :)

Same thing happened to me. However, all pictures you uploaded to photobucket should still be there, and you can download them to your computer. So rather than delete all those "please update your account" images, you can use another photo service, like imgur.com, upload your photos there, and put them back in this thread. Admittedly, it will take some time, as I am doing this now with one of my threads. But if you just do a little now and then, it can get done. Now we just have to hope that Kyle's pictures don't disappear.

Edit: I see SueSue responded as well.

Edited by scsu1975
  • Like 1

Thanks, Mr. SCSU, 

I am sorry to hear that you had the same problem too. It really is a shame. Woo.. if misery loves company, then I am in good shape around here.  

Thanks for the tips on how to clean up my missing pictures. I may look into options for a different way to post pics again, someday. (if only to try and clean up my mess on a few posts here and possibly in a couple of other threads I enjoy looking at now and then) But wowsa.. that would take a heap of time to go through and recreate them all. So I don't think it will happen any time soon. I am afraid I have too many irons in my fire right now to take on a project like that. It will have to be something for me to check into on  a rainy day (or snowy day.. some kinda day.. ha) sometime in the future, perhaps. 

And I  am glad that my photos are all still around SOMEwhere. But thankfully almost all of the pictures I have on photobucket are ones I  also have saved to my computer, so I am not too worried about losing them (I usually only put them on photobucket just for the purpose of posting here) but I appreciate the tip about downloading.  I may go through and double check some of my albums just to make sure I have everything I want to keep . 

It is just a shame that so many posts for everyone with a photobucket acct are all going to be held hostage this way.   I am SO happy that it appears Kyle must have used a different method for posting his pics here. Let's hope his lovely posters and pictures are able to stick around for everyone to enjoy.