JakeHolman

Jake's off topic music thread...

3,357 posts in this topic

Great song. This was a classic case of, in this case, Hayward having two incomplete songs and making them into one. It turned out to be a gem. They still use if in their encore set at the end of concerts. (I've seen them about 7-8 times through the years.)

More *Buddy Holly*:

This one is not very rock and roll-ey, but it's still my favorite:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8rod0_buddy-holly-everyday-stand-by-me-so_music

And if you are interested, here's a documentary you might like:

Buddy influenced everyone in rock and roll, from the Beatles and the Rolling Stones to new groups like Weezer. He was 22 when he died but he was a hard worker and had already written and recorded 40 songs before his fatal crash. His success lasted only *one year and a half*. They continued to release his music up until 1969, over ten years after he died.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> The Beatles cartoons were a regular Saturday morning affair for me. Of course Bugs Bunny came first.

I don't think I ever got to watch them. At least they're on YouTube now. :D

>It's awesome to hear that! Buddy with a spin only the Beatles could give...

Awesome clips JF...really awesome, no need for me to post anything else tonight...

I remember reading when the Beatles came over to America to play their music at the Ed Sullivan show. John Lennon asked Ed Sullivan while rehearsing their act is this the spot Buddy Holly stood on? Ed Sullivan told him yes...

If you listen to the Beatles' early music, you will hear Buddy Holly's inspiration...

*"The Beatles took their name in tribute to Buddy Holly and the Crickets."*

Source IMDB...

John Lennon was afraid to wear his glasses when he performed. He would always take them off when getting ready for a gig. But when he saw Buddy Holly, he said he was freed... he decided if Buddy Holly wore glasses, it was ok for him to wear them too.

Imagine the sixties with no Lennon glasses.....

> {quote:title=JakeHolman wrote:}{quote}

> I remember reading when the Beatles came over to America to play their music at the Ed Sullivan show. John Lennon asked Ed Sullivan while rehearsing their act is this the spot Buddy Holly stood on? Ed Sullivan told him yes...

>

> If you listen to the Beatles' early music, you will hear Buddy Holly's inspiration...

>

> *"The Beatles took their name in tribute to Buddy Holly and the Crickets."*

> Source IMDB...

> .

Never heard about that before, it's very interesting. I also learned after Cronkite's death that the Beatles had actually performed on his show even before going on Ed Sullivan.

Another one of R&R's founding fathers...Little Richard...

I was shocked a couple years ago to find out that *Needles and Pins* was written by Sonny Bono! It's such a great song, and I guess all those years of Sonny making fun of himself stuck in my head, because I really never thought he had it in him to write something that good.....

CB - I didn't know there was a musical about Buddy, although with the success of Mamma Mia and the one about Frankie Valli, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they are bringing out other rock and roll musicals.

Buddy was much more popular in Great Britain than he was here, I am not sure why.

I believe the reason for Lennon's reluctance to wear his glasses, especially in public,

was a matter of personal vanity. He thought he was a cool guy and cool guys don't

wear glasses. It really wasn't until around 1966-67 that he appears in them in public.

On The Ed Sullivan Show appearance he is without glasses (Sorry girls, he's really

a four-eyes) and there are lots of stories about the mishaps Lennon got into by

not wearing them.

Holly, I think Cronkite had a piece about the Beatles on his news show, not that they

actually performed on the show. Sullivan saw it and book them, or at least that's the

story. And the rest is a magical mystery tour.

A one hit wonder from the 80's...I wanna be a cowboy...