Sign in to follow this  
sewhite2000

R.I.P. Aretha Franklin (1942-2018)

58 posts in this topic

Aretha Franklin was an intensely private person, but she agreed to be interviewed by CBS correspondent Ed Bradley for a 1990 "60 Minutes" segment.

14 hours ago, Hibi said:

She was wearing some weird mobile-like headdress if I recall correctly.

Now I'm reminded of Susan Hayward in Valley of the Dolls:

The word "Icon" is one tossed around way too easily these days when describing somebody in the music realm, but Aretha Franklin was one of the VERY few deserving of that title.

A woman who's voice could reach the heavens and stir the soul. Yesterday the radio in Detroit was full of Aretha, and her Gospel singing kept chills running up my spine. I heard the news on my car radio when driving to a doctor's appointment. When I came out 1/2 hour later, there was a soft summer rain coming down. And the first thing I thought was; "Angels be cryin' ". :(

Sepiatone

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Arsan404 said:

Singing Nessun Dorma at the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia in 2015.

RIP one of the all-time greats.

Has this aria ever been recorded by her? I cant find it anywhere. Too bad. :(

2 hours ago, Fedya said:

Now I'm reminded of Susan Hayward in Valley of the Dolls:

LOL. It wasnt THAT bad!!!!! :D

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

The word "Icon" is one tossed around way too easily these days when describing somebody in the music realm, but Aretha Franklin was one of the VERY few deserving of that title.

A woman who's voice could reach the heavens and stir the soul. Yesterday the radio in Detroit was full of Aretha, and her Gospel singing kept chills running up my spine. I heard the news on my car radio when driving to a doctor's appointment. When I came out 1/2 hour later, there was a soft summer rain coming down. And the first thing I thought was; "Angels be cryin' ". :(

Sepiatone

I keep a radio playing when I'm at work so it seems someone is home, and I opened the door and ARETHA was playing...........

14 hours ago, jakeem said:

People are still talking about how she performed "Nessun Dorma" -- the aria from Puccini's opera "Turandot" -- on short notice at the 40th annual Grammy Awards held on February 25, 1998. She was a last-minute replacement for the great Luciano Pavarotti, who bowed out because of illness.

Ken Ehrlich, who was the longtime executive producer of the Grammy telecasts on CBS, later credited her with saving the show.

Image result for aretha franklin nessun dorma grammys

And no rehearsals or anything I read somewhere........

On 8/16/2018 at 12:09 PM, jakeem said:

The Queen of Soul navigated nicely through the early MTV years with a couple of popular efforts. In 1985, "Freeway of Love," which featured saxophonist Clarence "The Big Man" Clemons, zoomed to No. 3 on Billboard's pop chart and was No. 1 on the R&B chart for five weeks. The song also earned her one of her 18 Grammy Awards (this one was for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance).

The only women with more Grammys are country artist Alison Krauss (with 27) and Beyoncé (with 22). 

Aretha also had a hit in the mid 80s with a duet with Annie Lennox (still part of the Eurythmics) with "Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves".  Don't remember the album name, but it was my favorite from that band.

What a heartbreaking loss.  One of our greatest treasures, whose God-given voice never failed her.  She will be sorely missed.  

27 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Aretha also had a hit in the mid 80s with a duet with Annie Lennox (still part of the Eurythmics) with "Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves".  Don't remember the album name, but it was my favorite from that band.

The song, written by Lennox and Dave Stewart of Eurythmics, was released in October 1985. It was included on Aretha's "Who Zoomin' Who" album and on Eurythmics' "Be Yourself Tonight" LP.

The song received a 1985-1986 Grammy nomination for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal. The award went to The Commodores (in their post-Lionel Richie phase) for "Nightshift."

If Aretha was the greatest female singer of the rock era, Lennox has to be somewhere near the top, too.

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2018 at 8:20 PM, jakeem said:

EXCLUSIVE: Aretha Franklin frequently bashed Trump and one source told The Daily Beast that after Trump won the election, she confided to associates that “no amount of money” could convince her to perform at his inauguration

https://www.thedailybeast.com/aretha-franklin-frequently-bashed-trump-in-private-blew-off-inauguration-invite-5?via=twitter_page

fTnuUijM?format=jpg&name=600x314

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

:D

Image result for donald trump aretha franklin

Aretha Franklin sang at presidential inaugurations for Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.

She received her Kennedy Honors in 1995.

In 2005 President George W Bush awarded her the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

In 2017 Aretha refused a request from trump to sing at his inauguration.

Aretha sang at the funeral of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King jr.

Aretha's father, Rev CL Franklin, who was also a famous Baptist minister, was one of the early supporters of Rev. King's Nonviolent Civil Rights Movement.

Aretha, who was a civil rights activist, also sang at the funeral of the legendary Mrs. Rosa Parks.

On 8/16/2018 at 8:35 PM, Arsan404 said:

Singing Nessun Dorma at the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia in 2015.

She sang it earlier with little(if any) rehearsal for the '98 Grammy's.  They played THAT recording on the public radio station I had on in my car and I actually, a HALF MILE from my house had to pull over, my eyes too filled with tears to clearly see.

Sepiatone

• Sad 1

Aretha was one of a kind and remains unmatched in the music world. I only regret I never had the opportunity to see her perform live.

RIP Queen of Soul.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jakeem said:

Inside the battle to bring long-shelved documentary/concert film, “Amazing Grace,” to screen after years of legal drama

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/aretha-franklin-films-biopic-amazing-grace-jennifer-hudson-1202909105/

RiorkmK-?format=jpg&name=600x314

SOOOOO FRUSTRATING! I hadnt heard of the Amazing Grace docu. Hope they can come to an agreement now. :()

I read this earlier. WHY in the world didnt she make a will?? She knew she had cancer.........

On August 16, 2018 at 11:28 AM, jakeem said:

The Queen of Soul appeared in "The Blues Brothers" -- the 1980 comedy directed by John Landis -- as the wife of musician Matt "Guitar" Murphy. She performed "Think" in a Chicago diner scene after "Joliet Jake" and Elwood (played by John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd, respectively) -- determined to put their band back together -- showed up to persuade Murphy and saxophone player "Blue Lou" Marini to join their effort. 

She reprised her role as Murphy's wife in the 1998 sequel "Blues Brothers 2000," which featured John Goodman as a replacement for the late Belushi. Murphy died on June 15, 2018 at the age of 88.

I think it's safe to assume that TCM will include her in the next TCM Remembers tribute since they did for Prince and David Bowie who also didn't act primarily and the first Blues Brothers movie is regarded as a classic though I could be wrong.