Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Police Force abuses?

90 posts in this topic

Chicago officer Jason Van Dyke found guilty of second-degree murder in shooting of Laquan McDonald

US news 1 hour ago
The police officer who fatally shot Chicago teen Laquan McDonald in 2014 after approaching him in a squad car was found guilty of second-degree murder and aggravated battery killing. The shooting was captured on video.

--------------------------------------------------

It's hard to put into words how incredibly sad it is that we saw video of the Laquan McDonald shooting -- 16 shots -- and still had to hold our breath about whether the officer would be found guilty in the case.

Thank God he was.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/VanDykeMurderTrial?src=tren&data_id=tweet%3A1048289965145186304

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jason Van Dyke Trial: Chicago officer guilty of 2nd Degree murder in shooting of Laquan McDonald

"......A jury took barely 24 hours to find Jason Van Dyke guilty of second-degree murder for the fatal October 2014 shooting of Laquan McDonald, 17.

Upon hearing the verdict, crowds outside the courthouse erupted in cheers. Jumping up and down and hugging one another, they chanted, "Justice for Laquan! Justice for Laquan!" Cars honked as they passed by the courthouse and passengers cheered.

In addition to the second-degree murder charge, Van Dyke was found guilty of 16 counts of aggravated battery....

The shooting sparked a probe from the Justice Department that found deep-rooted systemic civil rights violations by Chicago's police department and prompted the release of a plan with far-reaching police reforms.

One current and two former Chicago police officers were charged last June with state felony counts of conspiracy, obstruction of justice and official misconduct for allegedly helping to cover up for Van Dyke.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jason-van-dyke-trial-verdict-reached-murder-trial-chicago-officer-n916716

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Jason Van Dyke Trial: Chicago officer guilty of 2nd Degree murder in shooting of Laquan McDonald

"......A jury took barely 24 hours to find Jason Van Dyke guilty of second-degree murder for the fatal October 2014 shooting of Laquan McDonald, 17.

Upon hearing the verdict, crowds outside the courthouse erupted in cheers. Jumping up and down and hugging one another, they chanted, "Justice for Laquan! Justice for Laquan!" Cars honked as they passed by the courthouse and passengers cheered.

In addition to the second-degree murder charge, Van Dyke was found guilty of 16 counts of aggravated battery....

The shooting sparked a probe from the Justice Department that found deep-rooted systemic civil rights violations by Chicago's police department and prompted the release of a plan with far-reaching police reforms.

One current and two former Chicago police officers were charged last June with state felony counts of conspiracy, obstruction of justice and official misconduct for allegedly helping to cover up for Van Dyke.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jason-van-dyke-trial-verdict-reached-murder-trial-chicago-officer-n916716

I'm glad that the jury was given the option of second degree murder, because regardless of circumstances, it is very hard to get a jury to convict a cop of first degree murder, even if that is exactly what it was.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2018/10/06/chic-o06.html

Chicago police officer convicted of second-degree murder in 2014 killing of Laquan McDonald

Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke was found guilty of second-degree murder and 16 counts of aggravated battery for the 2014 killing of African-American teenager Laquan McDonald by a jury on Friday.

The verdict was reached after fewer than eight hours of deliberation and was publicly released by Cook County Circuit Court Judge Vincent Gaughan. Van Dyke now faces a minimum sentence of six years in prison. Daniel Herbert, attorney for the defense, told the press there are plans to appeal the decision.

Van Dyke murdered the 17-year-old in an industrial area on Chicago’s southwest side four years ago this month. The conviction on 16 counts of aggravated battery with a firearm is for each bullet that Van Dyke shot into the teen’s body.

The defense attempted to convince the jury that Van Dyke acted out of fear for his life, painting a picture of McDonald as a deranged criminal.

However, overwhelming evidence, including the dashcam video and testimony from witnesses and experts, made clear that McDonald posed no threat to Van Dyke’s safety. He was not lunging or otherwise moving toward Van Dyke before being shot. Dashcam footage showed that McDonald was not acting violently and was walking away from officers before the shooting.

Officer Joseph McElligott, who trailed McDonald in a squad car and shone a light on him for blocks on foot, testified that he never felt the need to shoot the teen.

An FBI ballistics expert said of the shooting that Van Dyke’s emptying of the clip of his magazine into McDonald was consistent with “a deliberate rate of fire,” “taking time to aim each shot.” Another witness for the prosecution testified that the use of deadly force against McDonald, who held a three-inch pocketknife, was completely unnecessary.

The verdict came in spite of the attempts at cover-up by the office of Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, then-Chicago Police Department (CPD) Superintendent Garry McCarthy and the entire Chicago city Council. After the shooting, the city suppressed the police dashcam recording for over one year and allowed Van Dyke to walk free, while it paid McDonald’s family $5 million in exchange for agreeing not to talk about the case.

13 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

The verdict came in spite of the attempts at cover-up by the office of Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, then-Chicago Police Department (CPD) Superintendent Garry McCarthy and the entire Chicago city Council. After the shooting, the city suppressed the police dashcam recording for over one year and allowed Van Dyke to walk free, while it paid McDonald’s family $5 million in exchange for agreeing not to talk about the case.

Did Obama ever make a comment related to his former Chief of Staff,  Emanuel,  and his involvement in this cover-up?      E.g.   Obama could have said,  "hey Emanuel,  that could have been my son!".

• Haha 1

Trump DOJ Will Move To Block Chicago Police Reform, Jeff Sessions Says

The Trump administration has retreated from police reform.
Now it’s actively opposing it

"The Trump administration will attempt to block an agreement between the city of Chicago and the state of Illinois to reform the long-troubled Chicago Police Department, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Tuesday.

The Justice Department has backed away from police reform in various contexts, but this will be the first time it’s actively attempted to intervene to prevent reform from moving forward. The unusual federal intervention on a negotiated agreement between state and city officials will likely draw a strong rebuke from both parties.

The Justice Department’s 2017 Chicago police investigation ― the largest ever federal probe of a city’s police force ― found that “broad, fundamental reform” was needed in Chicago....

Sessions said shortly after he became attorney general that he hadn’t read the Justice Department’s investigation into policing in Chicago. ..........

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-doj-chicago-police-reform_us_5bbd1dc5e4b028e1fe42a86d?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

giphy.gif

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

documentary on the militarization of police in America

'Do Not Resist'

http://filmforum.org/film/do-not-resist-film

https://www.thewrap.com/do-not-resist-review-documentary/

Do-Not-Resist.png

But oh sure, it's "liberals" we really have to worry about.

Maybe I gave you too much credit for being nuanced:  If your point is that one needs to worry about violence from the far right much more than the far left I agree with that 100%,   but the far left is engaging and encouraging more violence then they had in the past (well expect maybe the 60s and early 70s).

Funny I was just thinking about this in my moderate to conservative area of Orange County;  I walk a lot and I haven't seen one sign supporting the House GOP incumbent (Mimi Walters),  but a few signs for her Dem challenger,  Kati Porter.    Is this due to blue-wave or because conservatives don't wish to openly show support for a  GOP candidate to avoid their house getting egged (at best)?

Maybe I gave you too much credit for being nuanced:  If your point is that one needs to worry about violence from the far right much more than the far left I agree with that 100%,   but the far left is engaging and encouraging more violence then they had in the past (well expect maybe the 60s and early 70s). 

Well, my reputation is certainly not at stake in any way, on this discussion section, of this Discussion Forum, on this classic movie-discussion related website. I'd rather talk about movies but I'm taking pot-luck here, instead.

I don't mind how I'm perceived; whichever way the prevailing winds blow is fine with me. When you step up on a soapbox its assured at the outset, that some folks will find your diatribes hollow, while some others might not. Disagreements are natural.

You accepted my first point, fine. On the second point, we diverge. No matter. Nope--I don't happen to believe the Left is anything to worry about in terms of violence. I doubt it will ever compare --not in the slightest-- to the unrest of the 60s/70s.

Whatever the Left does, they don't have the guns, the armies, the government, and the institutional bias behind them, as all/most of the preceding articles on police brutality (in this thread) seem to indicate.

I could add a long list of additional ones; maybe I will sometime. Crime statistics is a hot issue these days.

• Like 1

Police Dashcam Video Reveals California Cop Brutally Punched Drunk Man

Then, a later video appears to show the officer fabricating details in an attempt to justify his use of excessive force.

LOS ANGELES ― Two police dashcam videos cast doubt on the charges against an Orange County man accused of resisting arrest by violently threatening an officer. Instead, the videos suggest an Orange County Sheriff’s Department officer brutally assaulted the man and worked with a supervisor to cover up the incident, a county public defender says.

Mohamed Sayem, an Orange County man, is facing charges of resisting arrest over a confrontation with police officers Michael Devitt and Eric Ota that turned violent in the early hours of Aug 19. Devitt claimed in an incident report and an interview with his supervisor that Sayem assaulted him after the officers found Sayem intoxicated in his car in a Stanton parking lot.

But Devitt’s various accounts of the incident differed on key facts and are contradicted by footage recorded by two police dashboard cameras.....

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/police-dashcam-video-reveals-california-cop-brutally-punched-drunk-man_us_5bc8e124e4b0d38b58763c84?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

• Sad 1

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/10/police-culture-violence-racism-blue-lives-matter

“Cops Are at War Out There”

A culture of racism, paranoia, and authoritarianism permeates American police departments. Piecemeal reform won't be enough.

On September 6, Dallas police officer Amber Guyger entered the apartment of her upstairs neighbor, Botham Shem Jean, removed her service weapon, and shot the twenty-six-year-old man, killing him. One week later, on the day of Jean’s funeral, a Dallas judge released to the press the results of a search warrant that claimed to find a small amount of marijuana in the slain man’s apartment. “There could only be one purpose for that,” family attorney Lee Merritt said of the search warrant. “The only purpose is to look for information to smear the dead. That is exactly their specific intent.”

For black residents of Dallas, it was a familiar story. From police dragging their feet in arresting Guyger to Guyger’s conflicting statements about what happened to the marijuana found in Jean’s apartment, it appeared the fix was in. “There’s a lot of anger in the streets,” Dallas Pastor Frederick Haynes told the Dallas Morning News. “We’ve seen this movie too often.”

In Texas, like elsewhere, it is extremely rare for police to receive any sanction — personal or professional — for killing another human being. As the Jean case lurches toward its seemingly inevitable, devastating outcome, there will be the usual calls for police reform; the handwringing about training and accountability. But a look at the trade journals, message boards, and public behavior of police shows that the authoritarian mentality runs so deep that even minor reforms will be met with an intractable, reactionary wall.

“Follow Commands or Die”

“I am going to say what no one else is saying,” police officer Travis Yates editorialized in 2016 in Law Officer Magazine. “Follow the commands of a police officer or risk dying.” After lamenting “the lack of submission to authority [that] is throughout our society,” Yates concluded: “The way I see it, we have two options to stop police use of deadly force. Police stop being police or . . . citizens can do what an officer says to do.”

Sessions: Chicago police consent decree plan 'colossal mistake'

....The comments in a speech before the Chicago Crime Commission come a week after the Justice Department formally opposed a pending agreement, known as a consent decree, on reforms for the 13,000-officer Chicago Police Department.

The city agreed to implement the decree last month after the state’s attorney general sued the police department in federal court. Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan alleged that police engaged in a pattern and practice of civil rights violations.....

Emanuel, on Twitter, noted that former NYPD police commissioner Bill Bratton visited Chicago this week to learn how police here were using technology and neighborhood policing to fight violent crime. 

After suffering 762 homicides in 2016 and 650 last year, Chicago has seen a significant drop in violence in 2018. The city recorded 445 homicides through Oct. 14 – more than 100 fewer than at the same point in 2016 and 2017.

Bratton predicted that Chicago would see further reductions in crime in the months and years ahead.

"Before the AG runs his mouth he should get educated on what he's talking about," Emanuel wrote....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/10/19/jeff-sessions-chicago-police-department-homicide-consent-decree-rahm-emanuel/1694719002/

2 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

"Before the AG runs his mouth he should get educated on what he's talking about," Emanuel wrote....

Hey,   cover-upper Emanuel,    the AG is Lisa Madigan and that makes her a 'she' and NOT a 'he'.    So maybe it is Emanuel that doesn't know what he is talking about!!!!

12 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hey,   cover-upper Emanuel,    the AG is Lisa Madigan and that makes her a 'she' and NOT a 'he'.    So maybe it is Emanuel that doesn't know what he is talking about!!!!

I would guess he was referring to Jeff Sessions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I would guess he was referring to Jeff Sessions.

I didn't open the link and the only reference to an AG in the post was this "Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan alleged that police engaged in a pattern and practice of civil rights violations".

Anyhow,  cover-upper Emanuel shouldn't be criticizing anyone as it relates to how, as Mayor,   he addressed police abuse in the city of Chicago as well as the murder rate.       

https://thephilosophicalsalon.com/when-the-police-get-into-doxxing/

WHEN THE POLICE GET INTO DOXXING

The Guardian recently reported that the Berkeley, CA police posted the names and photos of anti-fascist activists on Twitter. These outed California anti-fascist protesters were arrested for minor offenses while counter-demonstrating against an “alt-right” neofascist protest staged in Berkeley. Many of the arrests occurred under the auspices of new laws prohibiting demonstrators from wearing masks. The executive director of the National Lawyers Guild’s local chapter Jay Kim stated, “It really seemed to us like the Berkeley police department was there to … target the anti-fascist protesters,” rather than to ensure the neofascist demonstration didn’t get out of hand.

“Doxxing” is the new right-wing scare tactic of publishing private information of opponents (leftwing activists) online, in order to intimidate them. In the digital Big Brother age, outing a person’s personal information is a deliberately violent intimidation tactic that could be called digital rape. Fox News and other major outlets of the Fourth Estate have only enabled and amplified this tactic by reposting the names and faces of those anti-fascist activists that the Berkeley Police doxxed. Doxxing has been used against journalists, academics, and protesters engaging in investigation, research, or demonstrations that the rightwing does not agree with. Doxxing is a fascist policy aided and abetted not only by alt-fact news, but now also, apparently, by the government.

This is not the first time that California police have been doing the neo-Nazis’ work for them by neutralizing the power of anti-fascist groups while giving their rivals relative impunity. In terms of transparency, there has also been a legal asymmetry. Unknown sources have filed public records requests to police singling out anti-fascist protester arrestees, thus forcing the authorities to reveal their names and information, while many of the organizers of alt-right protests strive to remain out of the public eye. By complying with such Freedom of Information requests, despite the questionable motives of inducing harm against leftist activists, governments buttress anti-democratic organizations and perpetuators of hate. The misuse of transparency for targeted violence raises, again, Karl Popper’s question regarding the ramifications of the Paradox of Tolerance when democracies become tolerant to intolerant forces.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

https://thephilosophicalsalon.com/when-the-police-get-into-doxxing/

WHEN THE POLICE GET INTO DOXXING

The Guardian recently reported that the Berkeley, CA police posted the names and photos of anti-fascist activists on Twitter. These outed California anti-fascist protesters were arrested for minor offenses while counter-demonstrating against an “alt-right” neofascist protest staged in Berkeley. Many of the arrests occurred under the auspices of new laws prohibiting demonstrators from wearing masks. The executive director of the National Lawyers Guild’s local chapter Jay Kim stated, “It really seemed to us like the Berkeley police department was there to … target the anti-fascist protesters,” rather than to ensure the neofascist demonstration didn’t get out of hand.

“Doxxing” is the new right-wing scare tactic of publishing private information of opponents (leftwing activists) online, in order to intimidate them. In the digital Big Brother age, outing a person’s personal information is a deliberately violent intimidation tactic that could be called digital rape. Fox News and other major outlets of the Fourth Estate have only enabled and amplified this tactic by reposting the names and faces of those anti-fascist activists that the Berkeley Police doxxed. Doxxing has been used against journalists, academics, and protesters engaging in investigation, research, or demonstrations that the rightwing does not agree with. Doxxing is a fascist policy aided and abetted not only by alt-fact news, but now also, apparently, by the government.

This is not the first time that California police have been doing the neo-Nazis’ work for them by neutralizing the power of anti-fascist groups while giving their rivals relative impunity. In terms of transparency, there has also been a legal asymmetry. Unknown sources have filed public records requests to police singling out anti-fascist protester arrestees, thus forcing the authorities to reveal their names and information, while many of the organizers of alt-right protests strive to remain out of the public eye. By complying with such Freedom of Information requests, despite the questionable motives of inducing harm against leftist activists, governments buttress anti-democratic organizations and perpetuators of hate. The misuse of transparency for targeted violence raises, again, Karl Popper’s question regarding the ramifications of the Paradox of Tolerance when democracies become tolerant to intolerant forces.

Since I'm in CA I have read many statements from DA or the State Attorney General that appear to me to be a violation of a citizen's right to lawful assembly or group association.

E.g. one DA said his mission was to break-up and destroy a white nationalist group.    The first thing I though was that the ACLU should sue this DA (but the ACLU recently issued a policy change that generally stated that they will not longer protect the Constitutional rights of far right groups).     Of course any law enforcement authority should have a 'mission' to go after the crimes that any and all groups\associations commit but that is where their authority should end.

PS: My bro-in-law is the DA (and very conservative)  but he only pushes the envelope when it comes to gangs.   State Courts have stated that some of this policies (e.g. over use of RICO,  making it illegal for more than 2 gang member to assemble in a public park),  were determined to violate the state constitution.     Oh,  and he is up for re-election,  but I'm voting for his rival.     

Jamil SmithVerified account @JamilSmith 4h4 hours ago

Jemel Roberson was the Good Guy With the Gun.

Working as a security guard, he was shot by a police officer south of Chicago after apprehending a bar patron with a firearm.

Cops arrived, and assumed that he was the perp. Shot him dead. Roberson was 26.

============================================

Officer shoots, kills armed security guard outside south suburban bar

https://wgntv.com/2018/11/11/multiple-wounded-in-robbins-bar-shooting-police-say/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5be90a0c04d3010e98049d31&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

=============================

"They basically saw a black man with a gun:"

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, Gershwin fan said:

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/10/police-culture-violence-racism-blue-lives-matter

“Cops Are at War Out There”

A culture of racism, paranoia, and authoritarianism permeates American police departments. Piecemeal reform won't be enough.

On September 6, Dallas police officer Amber Guyger entered the apartment of her upstairs neighbor, Botham Shem Jean, removed her service weapon, and shot the twenty-six-year-old man, killing him. One week later, on the day of Jean’s funeral, a Dallas judge released to the press the results of a search warrant that claimed to find a small amount of marijuana in the slain man’s apartment. “There could only be one purpose for that,” family attorney Lee Merritt said of the search warrant. “The only purpose is to look for information to smear the dead. That is exactly their specific intent.”

For black residents of Dallas, it was a familiar story. From police dragging their feet in arresting Guyger to Guyger’s conflicting statements about what happened to the marijuana found in Jean’s apartment, it appeared the fix was in. “There’s a lot of anger in the streets,” Dallas Pastor Frederick Haynes told the Dallas Morning News. “We’ve seen this movie too often.”

In Texas, like elsewhere, it is extremely rare for police to receive any sanction — personal or professional — for killing another human being. As the Jean case lurches toward its seemingly inevitable, devastating outcome, there will be the usual calls for police reform; the handwringing about training and accountability. But a look at the trade journals, message boards, and public behavior of police shows that the authoritarian mentality runs so deep that even minor reforms will be met with an intractable, reactionary wall.

“Follow Commands or Die”

“I am going to say what no one else is saying,” police officer Travis Yates editorialized in 2016 in Law Officer Magazine. “Follow the commands of a police officer or risk dying.” After lamenting “the lack of submission to authority [that] is throughout our society,” Yates concluded: “The way I see it, we have two options to stop police use of deadly force. Police stop being police or . . . citizens can do what an officer says to do.”

when I was a kid there was no sensible reason to resist the instructions of a policeman. in fact is was stressed to be good citizenship to comply.

now the left teaches that cops are bad so do not comply.

that is irrational self-destructive jabberwocky.

The Marshall ProjectVerified account @MarshallProj 2h2 hours ago

According to an investigation by @Newsy, @Reveal, and @ProPublica, across the country,

dozens of law enforcement agencies are making it appear as though they have solved a significant share of their rape cases when they simply have closed them.....

------------------------------------------------------------------

When It Comes to Rape, Just Because a Case Is Cleared Doesn’t Mean It’s Solved-

Some police departments, turning to an 'exceptional clearance' designation that’s supposed to be used sparingly,

make it seem as though they’ve solved a significant number of rape cases when they have simply closed them.

https://www.propublica.org/article/when-it-comes-to-rape-just-because-a-case-is-cleared-does-not-mean-solved?utm_content=buffer041dd&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer