Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Police Force abuses?

91 posts in this topic

Attorney General Barr's license to kill

"..... Barr’s call for absolute compliance with unjust police commands can basically be read as a license to kill. The DOJ’s Civil Rights Division used to provide comprehensive reports to explain declinations in high-profile police-involved fatalities.

It appears that these are no longer necessary because Barr made it clear that he intends to overrule the career employees of the Division if the officers faced ANY non-compliance, regardless of the kind of non-compliance or the amount of force used. .......

Barr irresponsibly and inaccurately blamed officer injuries on movements and organizations that call attention to police brutality by noting that officer injuries rose to 60,000 in 2017. Barr provides no evidence of this claim. He must have forgotten that Donald Trump was president for almost all of 2017. 

In fact, officer fatalities due to assault, the only truly credible data set on this issue, were lower under President Obama than under any of the four prior presidential administrations.......

Barr’s speech is a slap in the face of the bipartisan effort to reduce the number of people that our country is locking up.

Barr’s speech was not only dishonest; it was also wrong and dangerous.   

https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/457737-attorney-general-barrs-license-to-kill

• Sad 1

@AP
·
1h

After five years of investigations and protests, the NYPD on Monday fired an officer involved in the chokehold death of Eric Garner.

The unarmed black man's dying gasps of "I can't breathe" gave voice to a national debate over race and police use of force.
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, mr6666 said:
@AP
·
1h

After five years of investigations and protests, the NYPD on Monday fired an officer involved in the chokehold death of Eric Garner.

The unarmed black man's dying gasps of "I can't breathe" gave voice to a national debate over race and police use of force.

This is a big mistake that will only made people on both sides (and yes,  sadly people have chosen sides since too many can only look at these type of events in a black-and-white manner,  pun intended),   more jaded.    

• Sad 1

Two New York ex-policemen walk free after sex with handcuffed suspect

"Eddie Martins and Richard Hall arrested the woman for possession of marijuana before having sex with her in the back of a van in exchange for her release.

They will serve five years probation but escaped the prosecutor's request for one to three years in prison.

The men were initially accused of rape but the charges were later dropped.

On Thursday the former police officers, both in their mid to late thirties, pleaded guilty to official misconduct and other charges linked to the incident....

As a result of the case, a loophole was closed that previously allowed New York police officers to have sex with those in custody as long as it was consensual.  :blink:

Martins and Hall, who resigned from the New York police department in 2017, "engaged in a shocking abuse of power", said Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez, adding that he "would have preferred to see them serve prison time".

"We could not apply the new law retroactively, and serious credibility issues in this case precluded us from proceeding on additional charges," said Mr Gonzalez, "yet we remained committed to holding these defendants accountable"....

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49522500?ocid=socialflow_twitter

BREAKING: Amber Guyger, the former Dallas police officer convicted of murdering an unarmed man in his own home last year,

was sentenced to 10 years behind bars.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mr6666 said:
BREAKING: Amber Guyger, the former Dallas police officer convicted of murdering an unarmed man in his own home last year, was sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

10 years?!? That's it? 

I suppose we're just supposed to be grateful that they allowed it to go to trial at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

10 years?!? That's it? 

I suppose we're just supposed to be grateful that they allowed it to go to trial at all.

that churdles my pickle too. I doan like it. ten years? that's ridiculous. were there any mitigating circumstances?

what excuse can there be for some blonde b**** cop shooting this poor guy in his own apartment???

maybe she's sorry but ten years is BS.

and she could be out in 5 years on parole. in my estimation she shoulda gotten a minimum of 15 years.

Texas police officer shoots woman to death inside her home

A Fort Worth police officer checking out a residence with an open door opened fire on a 28-year-old woman inside her home.

....The shooting early Saturday happened less than two weeks after a police officer in nearby Dallas was found guilty of murder for fatally shooting a man in his home in 2018. In both cases the officers are white and the victims were African American.

In the Fort Worth shooting at 2:25 a.m. Saturday, authorities have the officer's body-camera footage.

According to NBC Dallas-Fort Worth, the imagery shows the perspective of the officer outside a home,

peering inside a window using a flashlight, spotting someone inside standing near a window

and telling her, "Put your hands up — show me your hands," before opening fire.......

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-police-officer-shoots-woman-death-inside-her-home-n1065451

:blink:

For a while there I thought they might give Guyger a ticker-tape parade before

she started her sentence.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fired-nypd-officer-eric-garner-s-chokehold-death-daniel-pantaleo-n1071076

Fired NYPD officer in Eric Garner's chokehold death, Daniel Pantaleo, sues to get job back
Pantaleo filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the department alleging that decision to terminate him was "arbitrary and capricious," according to his lawyer.

The former New York police officer who was fired in August for using a chokehold during Eric Garner's deadly arrest five years ago is suing to be reinstated.

Daniel Pantaleo filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the NYPD alleging the decision to terminate him was "arbitrary and capricious," Pantaleo's attorney, Stuart London, confirmed to NBC News. NYPD Commissioner James O'Neill chose to fire Pantaleo at the recommendation of the NYPD's Deputy Commissioner of Trials.

"It is clear that Daniel Pantaleo can no longer effectively serve as a New York City police officer," O'Neill said at the time.

O'Neill said that Pantaleo made a proper arrest up until the point that his grip became a chokehold, a move prohibited by the NYPD. The commissioner also placed blame on Garner himself for resisting arrest.

"Every time I watch that video I say to myself ... 'to Mr. Garner, don't do it. Comply. Officer Pantaleo, don't do it,'" O'Neill said.

Pantaleo has the right to appeal his termination under Article 78, a New York civil code that sets a path for challenges to rulings by a government agency.

A Staten Island grand jury declined to indict Pantaleo and, this summer, the Justice Department said it would not bring federal civil rights or criminal charges against him.

Pantaleo was among two officers who were initially confronting Garner about his alleged sale of cigarettes in an incident captured on bystander Ramsey Orta's cellphone.

As back-up arrived, Pantaleo jumped on Garner's back, wrapped his left forearm around the suspect's neck and rode him to the pavement.

Pantaleo pushed Garner, a 6-foot-2, roughly 400-pound man, into the sidewalk as four other officers approached to help. Garner could be heard in video of the incident pleading repeatedly: "I can't breathe."

• Sad 1