Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Noirs & Gangster movies coming up on FMC

202 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> I thought Boone was a bit over-the-top in the role.

Agreed. But, that's why I liked him in it, the role called for it. But, even "over-the-top," Boone maintained his no-nonsense style.

*_SATURDAY, JAN. 30_*

*The House on 92nd Street* (1945) 10:30am ET

Documentary-style drama based on fact about Nazi agents in NYC trying to steal the atomic bomb formula. Extensive use of actual FBI headquarters and training facilities locales as well as actual FBI surveillance footage. E.G. Marshall uncredited debut.

Cast: Leo G. Carroll, William Blythe, Signe Hasso, Gene Lockhart. Director: Henry Hathaway

*Panic in the Streets* (1950) 12pm ET

A medical officer (Richard Widmark) races against time after he discovers two gun-happy hoodlums (Zero Mostel and Jack Palance) are running around the streets of New Orleans carrying the virus to a deadly new plague.

Cast: Paul Douglas, Jack Palance, Barbara Bel Geddes, Zero Mostel. Director: Elia Kazan

*_SUNDAY, JAN. 31_*

*Nightmare Alley* (1947) 6am ET

Tyrone Power is excellent in a change-of-pace role as a carnival con man who masters a mind-reading act and teams up with an unethical psychiatrist to scam wealthy clients in this part-film noir, part-gothic thriller.

Cast: Tyrone Power, Joan Blondell, Coleen Gray, Helen Walker, Taylor Holmes, Mike Mazurki, Ian Keith, George Jessel. Director: Edmund Goulding

*Thieves' Highway* (1949) 10:15am ET

A tough drama about a war veteran turned truck driver out to avenge his father's mistreatment at the hands of a crooked fruit dealer in San Francisco.

Cast: Richard Conte, Valentina Cortese, Lee J. Cobb, Barbara Lawrence, Jack Oakie, Millard Mitchell. Director: Jules Dassin.

*_MONDAY, FEB. 8_*

*The House on 92nd Street* (1945) 7:30am ET

Documentary-style drama based on fact about Nazi agents in NYC trying to steal the atomic bomb formula. Extensive use of actual FBI headquarters and training facilities locales as well as actual FBI surveillance footage. E.G. Marshall uncredited debut.

Cast: Leo G. Carroll, William Blythe, Signe Hasso, Gene Lockhart. Director: Henry Hathaway

*Cry of the City* (1948) 9am ET

A New York police lieutenant (Victor Mature) walks a tightrope as he tracks tracks his former best friend, who is now a cop-killer.

Cast: Victor Mature, Richard Conte, Shelley Winters, Fred Clark, Tommy Cook. Director: Robert Siodmak.

Holly, thanks for posting the times of these movies...I am lucky enough to get all the premium movie channels and Whirlpool and Fallen Angel are coming up on More Max in the next week and week and a half.

FYI, for those of you who do not get FMC but like their Noirs, Amazon.com has a sale on the titles from the Fox Film Noir collection for $5.99 each; however Laura and Boomerang are not available as they are out of print. Also, House of Bamboo is the only title that is $6.99 and "Vicki" (the remake of "I Wake Up Screaming" is $13.49 - I like the original anyway so I will wait for the price to go down.)

A few MGM noirs like Kansas City Confidential and The Stranger and Night of the Hunter are also $5.99. I don't know when the sale ends but it definitely is a good time to add to the collection (or pick up some films that are a rare find on TCM if you don't get FMC)

Thanks for mentioning the sale, LFN. I picked up a few titles and could almost swear I did get the lower price for Vicki. Didn't get to mention it here because I wasn't sure how long the sale would last... do you know?

Holly - I have no idea when the sale ends. I have this thing where I add movies I want to my Amazon wishlist and check it regularly. When I see a good enough deal, I add them to my cart and check out. I searched the website and looked through my Amazon emails and couldn't find a date where the sale ends. Something is telling me these titles will be hard to find soon so I may just go to Deep Discount (they have Laura, Boomerang and Vicki for $11.23 each - previously $7.48 2 weeks ago and I procrastinated on purchasing!) to complete my set....if I had to predict, I would say that only 5% of Fox's Noirs will make it on to the Blu Ray format (if anyone is interested in that format), and probably only the Criterion ones anyway, so these DVDs may become obscure soon.

Finance - I check MoreMax and Cinemax for their programming (in advance to record to my DVR) and between 3 and 8am and they usually have at least one film from the 70s or before. I should mention they are almost all from Fox's library. This is usually the case for MoreMax and occasionally the case for Cinemax. Some other films I have recorded to DVR from MoreMax in the last 3-6 months:

23 Pacers to Baker Street

The Sun Also Rises

The Black Rose

The Captain from Castile

The Best Years of Our Lives

Jet Pilot

A Bell for Adano (coming on again)

Witness for the Prosecution

Raw Hide

Jesse James

A Yank in the RAF

Kiss them for Me (coming on again soon)

Heaven Can Wait (came on twice last week, and is scheduled for Thurs)

Desiree

Guadalcanal Diary

The Dolly Sisters

The Gang's All Here

I'm a HUGE Ty Power fan and they play a lot of his films (you can tell by the list) so that keeps me happy.

I should also mention that whenever Encore or Cinemax or HBO play a Fox film that is available in Widescreen, they play it panned and scanned! They did this for The Sun Also Rises, 23 Paces, How to Marry a Millionaire, Kiss Them for Me and a few others...super annoying, but I guess I will wait for a good DVD clearance sale online.

I don't know if I've mentioned on the message board but Laura and The Stranger are appearing quite a bit this month on Encore Mystery channel - (channel 530 on Directv)

My apologies for the long winded reply!

Holly, I agree, thanks for posting the upcoming Fox stuff! I am actually watching a double bill from the DVR tonight of CRY OF THE CITY and THE HOUSE ON 92ND STREET. After last night's on TCM, I'm spoiled! :)

Max does have quite a few older films, spotty on their various channels. I seem to have about 9 of the Max channels with the package. You have to check carefully though. And though it's a little far afield from this forum, they also show many of the Universal horror films as well.

And yep, Encore Mystery isn't great, but they do have the occasional older film as well! THE STRANGER will be on this Friday, in fact!

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> Holly, I agree, thanks for posting the upcoming Fox stuff! I am actually watching a double bill from the DVR tonight of CRY OF THE CITY and THE HOUSE ON 92ND STREET. After last night's on TCM, I'm spoiled! :)

>

> Max does have quite a few older films, spotty on their various channels. I seem to have about 9 of the Max channels with the package. You have to check carefully though. And though it's a little far afield from this forum, they also show many of the Universal horror films as well.

>

> And yep, Encore Mystery isn't great, but they do have the occasional older film as well! THE STRANGER will be on this Friday, in fact!

I should check the schedule more carefully for Max films, because I have to admit sometimes I just don't even bother.

Good to hear you've been digging the ones on the Fox channel! :D

Holly, what cable service do you have?

I have DirecTV and every few days I do a search where I manually toggle through the day's schedule between 3-8am (they have about 2 weeks of programming available to view) or I search for the usual suspect directors/acrors...right now HBO/Cinemax are in HEAVY rotation of Ty Power films.

I have some of this due to some complimentary promotions. Showtime unfortunately rarely shows much in the way of classic films any longer--they used to a long time ago. They did show REEFER MADNESS a few weeks ago, but their well is pretty dry.

The best option--and I say that with the reservation that none of those premium channels show anything much, you really have to dig--with the exception of Encore Westerns--is Cinemax though. I just spend a few moments poring over every one of their channels for the next 1-2 weeks to find anything good to shoot to DVR. Of course the other one if you like Westerns is the aforementioned Encore Westerns, but that's a bit off-topic here. Encore Mystery used to be better, from what I understand, but they still do show the occasional older flick--very rare though.

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> Encore Mystery used to be better, from what I understand, but they still do show the occasional older flick--very rare though.

When I first got Encore Mystery, several years ago, I expected lots of wonderful old mysteries. Well, they used to show one a week... :(

Edited by: ValentineXavier on Feb 14, 2010 1:21 AM

*_TUESDAY, FEB. 16_*

*Nightmare Alley* (1947) 8am ET

Tyrone Power is excellent in a change-of-pace role as a carnival con man who masters a mind-reading act and teams up with an unethical psychiatrist to scam wealthy clients in this part-film noir, part-gothic thriller.

Cast: Tyrone Power, Joan Blondell, Coleen Gray, Helen Walker, Taylor Holmes, Mike Mazurki, Ian Keith, George Jessel. Director: Edmund Goulding

*Panic in the Streets* (1950) 10pm ET

A medical officer (Richard Widmark) races against time after he discovers two gun-happy hoodlums (Zero Mostel and Jack Palance) are running around the streets of New Orleans carrying the virus to a deadly new plague.

Cast: Paul Douglas, Jack Palance, Barbara Bel Geddes, Zero Mostel. Director: Elia Kazan

I admit that I am an online schedule hound and I look up films by the star names or popular directors on Cinemax and HBO's sites. Encore mystery and drama, I look at their whole month's schedule which is available in a PDF. For February 2010, the only movies I saw for Encore Mystery were Laura and The Stranger...maybe a Sherlock Holmes film or two.

I need to get more tech savy and learn how to record from my DVR to DVD.

*_TUESDAY, FEB. 23_*

*Thieves' Highway* (1949) 7:30am ET

A tough drama about a war veteran turned truck driver out to avenge his father's mistreatment at the hands of a crooked fruit dealer in San Francisco.

Cast: Richard Conte, Valentina Cortese, Lee J. Cobb, Barbara Lawrence, Jack Oakie, Millard Mitchell. Director: Jules Dassin.

*Vicki* (1953) 9:30am ET

When a woman is murdered, her sister (Crain) and the prime suspect (Reid) join forces to find the killer. Remake of "I Wake Up Screaming".

Cast: Jean Peters, Jeanne Crain, Richard Boone, Casey Adams, Elliot Reid. Director: Harry Horner

"Vicki" has been getting a lot of air time recently. Its a decent movie, most people prefer the earlier version "I Wake Up Screaming". But I really like Jean Peters and Jeanne Crain so "Vicki" is always high on my list.

I've seen THIEVES' HIGHWAY. Millard Mitchell played a REAL bad guy. He certainly had the face for it. Hard to believe that this is the same guy from SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> "Vicki" has been getting a lot of air time recently. Its a decent movie, most people prefer the earlier version "I Wake Up Screaming". But I really like Jean Peters and Jeanne Crain so "Vicki" is always high on my list.

mrroberts, in my experience a bunch of movies always gets shown a lot of times for 2-3 months, then it is slowly taken out of the FMC schedule and they get something else instead. I'll check the schedule later to see if there are any new noirs coming in March.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> I've seen THIEVES' HIGHWAY. Millard Mitchell played a REAL bad guy. He certainly had the face for it. Hard to believe that this is the same guy from SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

He definitely had an unforgettable mug. I believe he was a detective in "Kiss of Death" as well.

The Street With No Name is a good film. A semi documentary style, like The Naked City and others of the time. Richard Widmark plays a more interesting and complex character than the Tommy Udo one in Kiss Of Death. As he does in Roadhouse, Widmark gets to show us how good an actor he is.