Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Noirs & Gangster movies coming up on FMC

202 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> Val,

> I don't pretend to be an expert on TV licensing rights, but I do believe that even though Canada is a part of the British commonwealth, a lot of the rights to movies and TV shows are negotiated so as to include both Canada and the U.S., since it makes it easier to reach all English-speaking viewers in North America (not trying to disparage French-speaking Canadians, mind you).

I wouldn't doubt that for a minute, surely most are North American broadcast rights. It just occurs to me that since Canada and the UK are part of a commonwealth, some might have "commonwealth" broadcast rights, separate from US rights, although that would doubtless be a small proportion of UK films. These few films would need additional licensing rights to show in Canada. That is totally a guess on my part.

Mais, que'ce que vous dites!? Les Quebecois, ils ont beaucoup de cinema. Ils n'ont pas besoin de TCM.

Sorry, just having fun trying to remember my 1st year university French.

Holly, I'd wondered about the Commonwealth thing, too. It kind of makes sense. Oh well, I'll take my elusive movies as I find them. Thanks for your advice on some options.

Edited by: misswonderly on May 16, 2010 12:01 PM