Bethluvsfilms

Finally saw CITIZEN KANE on DVD last night...

60 posts in this topic

I bought the movie on DVD because I finally wanted to see what all the hoopla was all about. And while it wouldn't be what I would have chosen to be THE greatest movie of all time, it is a damn fine film for sure.

Charles Foster Kane is neither saint, nor villain really, but a deeply flawed human being. Like the rest of us.  

Orson Welles certainly succeeded in making a classic film. I am aware a lot of folks didn't appreciate KANE when it came out in 1941, but today quite a lot of viewers (myself included) believe this is indeed the crowning achievement of his career.

I'm only sorry I didn't get to see it much sooner than I did. But I couldn't wait until it came on TCM again.

And at last I finally understand what 'Rosebud' means!

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I bought the movie on DVD because I finally wanted to see what all the hoopla was all about. And while it wouldn't be what I would have chosen to be THE greatest movie of all time, it is a damn fine film for sure.

Charles Foster Kane is neither saint, nor villain really, but a deeply flawed human being. Like the rest of us.  

Orson Welles certainly succeeded in making a classic film. I am aware a lot of folks didn't appreciate KANE when it came out in 1941, but today quite a lot of viewers (myself included) believe this is indeed the crowning achievement of his career.

I'm only sorry I didn't get to see it much sooner than I did. But I couldn't wait until it came on TCM again.

And so I suppose I can now post this old Peanuts comic strip panel for ya and it won't spoil anything for ya here, eh Beth? ;)

kane-spoiler-1973.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And so I suppose I can now post this old Peanuts comic strip panel for ya and it won't spoil anything for ya here, eh Beth? ;)

kane-spoiler-1973.png

Never saw this particular Peanuts. It's hysterical and quintessential Lucy.  Thanks for posting it, Dargo.

7 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Roger Ebert reportedly owned one of the two prop (SPOILERS) rescued from the fire, and...can't remember, was it Steven Spielberg who owned the other?

It's the one Movie That Millennials Fear (with "The Seventh Seal" coming in second, followed by "Forrest Gump" and your choice of Oscar-winning documentary), because nobody ever seems to academically rhapsodize about anything except Welles' "revolutionary" use of editing ("Merry Christmas, master Kane..." "...'And a Happy New Year'"), the B/W cinematography in the opera house, or the fact that Welles put ceilings on his sets.  Which unfortunately puts them in the mind that that's "all" that Grownups ever talk about when they pick a Great Film, so just stick with Big Lebowski, Office Space, and Princess Bride.

But what folks never get around to mentioning is just how good Orson is at digging the snarky irony out of Herman Mankewicz's script, and making Charles take as much of the stinging social-criticism barbs in later life as his younger self dished out.  You CANNOT watch the iconic scene of Candidate Kane's hypocritical speech next to his 200-ft. poster ("My opposition has launched a series of attacks on me"), and not think of Trump parallels.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

kane-spoiler-1973.png

KANE was Charles Schulz’s favorite movie.  Per Wikipedia, according to the Charles M. Schulz Museum and Research Center, he saw the movie 40 times.

Haha isn't it great when you discover a great old movie for the first time? There are a few classic movies I've held back on viewing just to have something to look forward to. It's kind of a bummer to look over the schedule and say, "Seen it, seen that, seen that too" numerous times.

Glad you liked it. You'll enjoy it more on subsequent viewings as you catch more subtleties as well as brilliant & snarky dialogue.

• Like 1

I'd like to thank BETH for reminding me to get off my keister and finally replace my wore out old VHS tape of the movie WITH a DVD.  ;)

Sepiatone

19 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

"YOU! Are a BLABBERMOUTH!!"

blabbermouth.jpg

A HUGE THANK YOU FOR THE RALPH KRAMDEN!!! I was in a nice fan club but it ended when THE GREAT ONE died summer of 1987 at just age 71. Even still own a few items, including an official RACOON CAP!

Ever notice how difficult it is to locate THE HONEYMOONERS-0(only on youtube) online thesedays & on t6v, due to our PC era???

MY PERSONAL FAVS OF THE CLASSIC 39 ARE>"Unconventional Behavior" "TV Or Not TV" &* "A Woman's Work Is Never Done" & Jackie was robbed of a 2nd s. actor nomination for the little known 1986 "Nothing in Common" ($16m.) (***1/2)  *Hanks was the lead & they were good together.  Only wish as Ebert & Siskel said, that he had a cameo in '86's "Color of Money" as Fats

19 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

"YOU! Are a BLABBERMOUTH!!"

blabbermouth.jpg

ABSOLUTELY TREMENDOUS!!!  On youtube they have Trump in her place with him yelling at him as opposed to her in the brief clip CHECK IT OUT!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Haha isn't it great when you discover a great old movie for the first time? There are a few classic movies I've held back on viewing just to have something to look forward to. It's kind of a bummer to look over the schedule and say, "Seen it, seen that, seen that too" numerous times.

Glad you liked it. You'll enjoy it more on subsequent viewings as you catch more subtleties as well as brilliant & snarky dialogue.

Althoiugh *THE GODFATHER (l90l-90) TRILOGY" IS MY PERSONAL FAVORITE EVER< IT IS TRE "KANE" IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THEE GREATEST MOTION POICTURE YET PRODUCED!!!  (NOTE: Although in the legendary every decade survey of directors & International critics, in 2012 they voted "VERTIGO" barely over it as A #1 & after 50 YEARS!!!

However, the filmmakers I think still voted for KANE

I had a similar experience with Casablanca, seen for the first time just recently. If I ever should come minutely close to experiencing genuine shame on these boards, it's probably right now with this admission :(. My reaction to Casa was probably stronger than your's (Beth) of Kane and I only say that because I was so totally blown away by the experience that is Casablanca. But getting back to Kane, I have an admiration for the way the film foreshadows what the R word really means. We must know as we are watching that the revelation must have something to do with what we can expect to have seen in the story. Otherwise it would be a cheat. With this in mind I get a frisson  when I see the you-know-what (I realize this is spilled beans but I still can't say it) in the hands of the child because if I were making such a movie I might worry that I gave the object too much prominence and that it might be guess-ible by perspicacious viewers. But I worry about that only because I am already in the know on a second or more viewing. On a first viewing, no one would suspect it ... right? // :unsure:

5 hours ago, laffite said:

But getting back to Kane, I have an admiration for the way the film foreshadows what the R word really means. We must know as we are watching that the revelation must have something to do with what we can expect to have seen in the story. Otherwise it would be a cheat. With this in mind I get a frisson  when I see the you-know-what (I realize this is spilled beans but I still can't say it) in the hands of the child because if I were making such a movie I might worry that I gave the object too much prominence and that it might be guess-ible by perspicacious viewers. But I worry about that only because I am already in the know on a second or more viewing. On a first viewing, no one would suspect it ... right? // :unsure:

We've gotten so used to smugsy Simpsons parodies of dropping snowglobes (again, the disgruntled Fear of Great Movies), that it never occurs to the first-time viewer to ask:
Just why DID seeing a snowy cabin happen to trigger that mysterious memory from dying Kane?  ;)

(Just as there are people who never stop to realize just why Rick never did say "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca.)

20 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Who names a sled?

Didn't Ralphie or George Bailey name theirs?

But seriously people:  We know Beth's lost her Kane-ginity about the identity of Rosebud, but even if it isn't the third act of "Murder Strikes Out", let's go easy on new lurkers in the thread.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to whip up some Soylent Green in the kitchen, call up my dad, go fishing with Fredo, and pick up Bruce Willis' check in the restaurant.

54 minutes ago, laffite said:

Reminds me of that long TV interview in the 70s when Orson was in virtual retirement and quite large, physically. It was 2 or 3 hours I believe and has been aired on TCM. At one point the interviewer tells or reminds Welles that he has been referred to by some as a "flawed genius." He thought this hilarious and went on and on about it, appreciating I think the underhandedness of the compliment and the fact that it was an oxymoron of sorts. He would probably admit to being a flawed human being, but not a flawed genius. Maybe.

Somehow laffite, the quote you used for your above reply credited me with the keen observation about the Kane character which Beth actually made in her OP.

(...and so, while I have always felt the very same way as she about the Kane character and Welles' performance since the very first time I became mesmerized by this film while watching it years ago as a teenager, I just wanted to set the record straight here)

On 8/18/2018 at 7:35 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Reminds me of that long TV interview in the 70s when Orson was in virtual retirement and quite large, physically. It was 2 or 3 hours I believe and has been aired on TCM. At one point the interviewer tells or reminds Welles that he has been referred to by some as a "flawed genius." He thought this hilarious and went on and on about it, appreciating I think the underhandedness of the compliment and the fact that it was an oxymoron of sorts. He would probably admit to being a flawed human being, but not a flawed genius. Maybe.

26 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Somehow laffite, the quote you used for your above reply credited me with the keen observation about the Kane character which Beth actually made in her OP.

(...and so, while I have always felt the very same way as she about the Kane character and Welles' performance since the very first time I became mesmerized by this film while watching it years ago as a teenager, I just wanted to set the record straight here)

Thank you for pointing that out. Corrected. I had cut and paste your quote of Beth's and the software gave you credit because her quote was within your reply field. But it was a lapse on my part. I wasn't paying attention.

40 minutes ago, laffite said:

Thank you for pointing that out. Corrected. I had cut and paste your quote of Beth's and the software gave you credit because her quote was within your reply field. But it was a lapse on my part. I wasn't paying attention.

You're welcome, laffite.

Okay, and NOW about that whole "just recently gettin' around to watchin' Casablanca" thing o' yours up there.

REALLY?! As big a classic film fan as YOU, and just RECENTLY???!!!

LOL

(...well, you pretty much figured somebody was gonna bust your chops about this, and so I figured why not me, RIGHT?!) ;)

\

39 minutes ago, Dargo said:

You're welcome, laffite.

Okay, and NOW about that whole "just recently gettin' around to watchin' Casablanca" thing o' yours here.

REALLY?! As big a classic film fan as YOU, and just RECENTLY???!!!

LOL

(...well, you pretty much figured somebody was gonna bust your chops about this, and so I figured why not me, RIGHT?!) ;)

I am not a big of classic film fan as all that :o, at least in comparison of the rest of the group here. I enjoyed old movies in the old days but was not so well informed and not particularly enthused until TCM burst on the scene, and by that time I was almost 50 years old :o So you see, I'm still a babe in the woods despite my peg leg, eye patch, rummy brain, and long teeth.

But that is no excuse for the Casablanca Crisis. I can hardly stand myself after this gross negligence :lol:.  Imagine it, bloody well unbelievable, even for me. And yes it's fitting that you would fire the first shot ;) Darg, old chap. But I shall overcome. I ... shall ... over ... come. Maybe ?.

• Like 1

The 2 dvd set has fantastic commentary by Roger Ebert and another by Peter Bogdanovitch,the Ebert comments are simply phenomenal,it gives a real perspective of the impact of Citizen Kane on the movie industry,ok the gross was not good,thanks to Hearst but whoever was working on films were flabbergasted,the special 2 dvd set is a must.

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

We've gotten so used to smugsy Simpsons parodies of dropping snowglobes (again, the disgruntled Fear of Great Movies), that it never occurs to the first-time viewer to ask:
Just why DID seeing a snowy cabin happen to trigger that mysterious memory from dying Kane?  ;)

Ah !

2 hours ago, nakano said:

The 2 dvd set has fantastic commentary by Roger Ebert and another by Peter Bogdanovitch,the Ebert comments are simply phenomenal,it gives a real perspective of the impact of Citizen Kane on the movie industry,ok the gross was not good,thanks to Hearst but whoever was working on films were flabbergasted,the special 2 dvd set is a must.

Does it still have the PBS "Battle Over Citizen Kane" documentary on disk 2?

That's one of the great classic-film docs that I've seen, disk or in general--that also gives some background on why Welles was such a hot property after the Mercury stage-theater company--and somewhat better than HBO's fictionalized docudrama version.

(Which shortchanges the real-life Hearst and Davies in trying to parallel them with the Kane versions...Not like Edward Hermann's more scarily true-to-life Hearst from the otherwise fictionalized The Cat's Meow (2001). )