Sign in to follow this  
davisdoll

Summer Under the Stars

2 posts in this topic

I wish the programmers would air a star's movies in chronological order so we can see the progression of his or her career. The schedule seems so slap-dash and random.  I understand we'd want to feature their best or most popular movie during primetime, but the rest if the day could be ordered. 

1 hour ago, davisdoll said:

I wish the programmers would air a star's movies in chronological order so we can see the progression of his or her career. The schedule seems so slap-dash and random.  I understand we'd want to feature their best or most popular movie during primetime, but the rest if the day could be ordered. 

Agree. I've stated this in years past. It's a bit jarring to see someone with a long career go from age 15 to age 58 to age 25 and back to 15 again. On a day when there's a 24-hour retrospective it would make sense to make it more historical and present the films chronologically.

Another problem is that some stars are highlighted by a popular collaboration. All of Jeanette MacDonald's films that aired on primetime on her day featured her with Nelson Eddy, but of course she had many different costars. So anyone tuning in that evening might think they were honoring Nelson Eddy not her. This happens when they stack the deck with Hepburn & Tracy films on Hepburn's day. It's also happened in the past with Greer Garson & Walter Pidgeon and Maureen O'Hara & John Wayne. It becomes more about the two stars instead of the one star who is supposedly being honored.