Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Silents & early talkies coming 6/15 from Warner Archives

37 posts in this topic

I'd added this to the discussion on the Warner Archive Collection titles, but thought it might merit a separate discussion here in the silent forum. These titles are all silents or early talkies...

*The following titles will be available on the Warner Archive Collection June 15:*

*? Beau Brummel (1924)*

*? Better Ole, The (1926)*

*? Divine Lady, The (1929)*

*? First Auto, The (1927)*

*? Let Us Be Gay (1930)*

*? Min and Bill (1930)*

*? Old San Francisco (1927)*

*? Politics (1931)*

*? Reducing (1931)*

*? Sea Hawk, The (1924)*

*? When a Man Loves (1927)*

HollywoodGolightly,

Thanks much for the information. About time they released a few more Silents. *THE DIVINE LADY!* Woo-hoo! *CORINNE GRIFFITH!!!!* A couple of Delores Costello features in *WHEN A MAN LOVES,* and *OLD SAN FRANCISCO,* that's nice, but where is *NOAH'S ARK???*

*THE BETTER 'OLE (1926)* is extremely hilarious! Wonderful comedy with Syd Chaplin! I figured they would release BEAU BRUMMEL (1924), because it has a Young Composers score by James Schafer. Another chance to see Barrymore with a young and very beautiful Mary Astor two years prior to DON JUAN. *REDUCING* with Marie Dressler meanwhile has Anita Page in the cast.

I like *THE SEA HAWK (1924)* not many Milton Sills features are around. plus it has Enid Bennet too. And Dressler fans have been screaming for *MIN AND BILL* for years with Wallace Beery.

Now Warner Archive how about some Renee Adoree movies, and Colleen Moore???? Especially, Renee starring in *TIDE OF EMPIRE (1929)* with Tom Keene? The film is in almost pristine condition. And where oh where is the restored *LILAC TIME?* I know it exists the film just ran in Chicago last November. More recently TCM aired a Gary Cooper documentary from 1992, and that had a clip from *LILAC TIME* in excellent shape.

That is why I mentioned *LILAC TIME.* SilentsAreGolden.Com lists *LILAC TIME* as having run on TCM back in *1996*. However, a couple friends of mine who had TCM at that time, told me that while the film was scheduled, it was never shown. Some Hollywood legend past away, and they ran a 24 hour tribute instead. As far as my friends know, *LILAC TIME* was not re-scheduled, and has never been broadcast on TCM at any time? At least not as far as they could recall, or were aware of?

{...}

Message was edited by: TCMWebAdmin

Personal Attack

I don't see them releasing allot of stuff that has never been on TCM before. However, they have already released at least one movie from the 70's that I don't ever recall seeing on TCM before. At least not so far. That being of course DOC SAVAGE THE MAN OF BRONZE (1975) which was released by Warner Brothers. Never has been shown as far as I know, not even on TCM underground? And this seems to be one of Warner Archive's top sellers.

What I notice recently is that when a DVD set comes out and is available through Netflix, these same films get shown on TCM fairly soon thereafter. I wonder if TCM and Netflix are corporately connected of if there is a tie-in with licensing.

Not sure it would have anything to do with Netflix, Ed. TCM would probably have to pay the license fees to the company putting out the film (assuming they don't already have the rights to certain films). Netflix is just a rental business.

Just wondering out loud.... it's probably coincidental or maybe TCM is a Netflix customer.... LOL

Jill, Ed --

Looks like I came on a little stronger than I intended.??I'm sorry.??The post was originally much longer than what it was -- perhaps I edited it too severely.??It wasn't meant to be a personal attack.??Jill, I won't deny that I have benefited from your largesse, and I probably haven't thanked you enough.??Ed, I have also benefited from your knowledge and just hashing things out with you on these boards, and for that, I'm thankful, too.??My intent was to spark the conversation, but it turned into a forest fire.??Again, my apologies.

The point I was trying to make was that I don't think it's productive to criticize the Warner Archive project in terms of what we have or don't have in our personal collections.??I have a sizable collection too, but saying "I have this already"??doesn't add anything meaningful to the conversation.??What we should be saying is "Get this" or "Don't get that," based on our own viewing of the films.??After all, there's probably more people who don't have these films than do, and they come to these boards for guidance, among other things.??We should alert them to the good stuff.

Since the Warner Archive project is still very new, there's still a lot of time and space for everybody's favorites to appear.??Personally, I'm glad to see all the Marie Dressler titles that have been released thus far.??Everyone needs to see EMMA.??I'm also glad to see THE SEA HAWK and the John Barrymore silents.??I've got a lot of hope in the project, and I also realize I may have to wait for some of my favorites to appear.??It may take some patience and emails to WHV, but the plans are for everything to be available eventually.

While it doesn't hurt to occasionally muse on what titles aren't there, it shouldn't take up all of our time. It's far more important to concentrate on the doughnut, and not the hole.

All right, can we be friends again?

Dan... it didn't sound like you at all.... no problems here.....

No problem here, either, but I do disagree with you. I think it does "add something to the conversation" when we state that the vast majority of the new DVDs they're coming out with at Warner's have already been played on TCM and therefore will probably not sell as well as they had hoped going in. You can see this already because they are cutting their prices. They probably had an onslaught of purchases at first but now it's leveling off and so they are cutting prices in response.

I would pay 20 dollars with no problem if they'd come out with a DVD for a film that TCM has not shown or has not shown in 10 years, for whatever reason. I am going to keep my money if they keep putting out films TCM already airs that I already have .. exceptions being for any film I absolutely love that I would be willing to spend the money not to have the darn logo bug on the print. For instance, The Patsy. I'd buy that in a minute even though I have several copies. I'd want one without the bug, so how about it, Warner's? Where's The Patsy?

Jill,

*THE PATSY* and *SHOW PEOPLE* both seem highly unlikely to be released by Warner Archive. They are probably reserving those titles for long proposed *King Vidor Box set.* And it looks like they plan on using the Carl Davis score and the Thames Silents version of *SHOW PEOPLE* that TCM does not run.They might release *SHOW PEOPLE* through Warner Archive with the William Axt-David Mendoza score which TCM does run, but if so, that would probably be out already. Photoplay also produced a version of *THE PATSY* with Music by Maude Nielssen, but it is never seen in America. I think I misspelled her name again?

As I mentioned before, we are unlikely to see *A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS* from Warner Archive either. At least not with the Carl Davis score. Although they could release it with the vintage Axt-Mendoza one. The trouble is TCM only airs the picture with the Davis score. I got my copy of the film with the vintage track off *Arte Network* in France. Nevertheless, Warner's has to have this version, even if TCM does not?

I don't expect to see Lon Chaney features like *THE BLACKBIRD* or *TELL IT TO THE MARINES*. Both have Robert Isael scores. They just won't put those out through Warner Archive. Still I think it's a good batch of titles forth-coming. It has me optimistic that we could see *NOAH'S ARK, THE PAGAN, WHERE EAST IS EAST, THE VIKING,* and *TIDE OF EMPIRE* before the end of the year.

I know all that, then again they can't expect me to buy anything unless they put out titles that interest me, and especially titles I haven't already seen 100 times.

Jill,

While you and I have seen titles such as *NOAH'S ARK, THE VIKING,* And *THE PAGAN* before, most people have not. Those are rarely run on TCM, and if you haven't seen them on TCM, you likely haven't seen them elsewhere. About the only other place they could have seen these movies at would be a live screening somewhere.

Wow, so, apparently Warner Archive is offering these seven new silents in a "boxset" at the price of $70! Half off! I never heard these were going to offered in a set--I only found out a few minutes ago when I checked the Archive's website. Is this news to anyone else?

That's a nice deal at $10 per DVD. I'm very tempted. Nice move, Warner Archive.

I had not heard anything about this either. How much are they charging for shipping though? Have you already ordered?

Well, that would be too bad if they wouldn't release "The Patsy". I believe that I mentioned in another thread that it was listed in their poll for what should be released next. Unfortunately, it didn't receive many votes. I haven't been there since then. So I have no idea whether there is a new poll up or not. Anyway, *gagman66*, what is this King Vidor box set? I haven't heard about it. Do you know what films might be included? Particularly one specific film??? :D

I am actually happy to hear about "Beau Brummel", though. I am satisfied to see that "Let Us Be Gay", "The Sea Hawk" and "When a Man Loves" are being released as I have never seen them and have wanted to.