Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Flights of Fancy: the Films of Steven Spielberg

5 posts in this topic

As part of its "Great Directors" theme this month, TCM will honor the films of Steven Spielberg on Friday, June 5. Included among the films is the TV movie Duel, which helped Spielberg launch his career as a film director; also what is his worst flop to date, the World War 2 comedy 1941.

etsjyr.jpg

_PRIME TIME SCHEDULE FOR FRIDAY, JUNE 5_

*Spielberg on Spielberg* (2007) 8pm ET

A TCM original documentary featuring exclusive interviews with Steven Spielberg, arguably the most popular and influential director of his time.

Cast: Steven Spielberg Dir: Richard Schickel. BW-86 mins, TV-MA

*Saving Private Ryan* (1998) 9:30pm ET

A special detachment fights through war-torn Europe to find a man whose brothers have all died in combat.

Cast: Tom Hanks, Tom Sizemore, Matt Damon, Ed Burns Dir: Steven Spielberg C-169 mins, TV-MA

*The Sugarland Express* (1974) 12:30am ET

An ex-convict springs her husband from prison to keep their child from being adopted.

Cast: Goldie Hawn, Ben Johnson, Michael Sacks, William Atherton Dir: Steven Spielberg C-110 mins, TV-MA

*1941* (1979) 2:30am ET

In the days after Pearl Harbor, Californians prepare for a Japanese invasion.

Cast: Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Ned Beatty, Lorraine Gary Dir: Steven Spielberg C-119 mins, TV-MA

*Duel* (1971) 4:30am ET

A cross-country motorist finds himself the object of a faceless trucker's irrational attacks.

Cast: Dennis Weaver, Jacqueline Scott, Eddie Firestone, Tim Herbert Dir: Steven Spielberg BW-89 mins, TV-14

loc-duel-1971.jpg

Wow -is this guy over-rated or what-1941 is one of the worst movies I've ever seen-and whats with using the Lord's name in vain-I counted at least 3 or 4 times JC was used- and duel -what kind of idiot would play chicken with a gas truck-Spielberg likes to create tension-well I'm tense enough to cancel my cable!

Good news for Spielberg fans - TCM is showing Close Encounters of the Third Kind today at 4pm ET.

(And on the home video front, several websites have now cited confidential sources indicating that a blu-ray release of Jurassic Park could be forthcoming before the end of the year).