Sign in to follow this  
RupertAlistair

THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE

22 posts in this topic

I love this movie. Faulkner's book, Sanctuary, is one of my all time favorites, and even during the pre-code era a lot of it is a little too shocking for the screen. But the movie is a really strong adaptation.

I run obscureclassics.wordpress.com. Would you care to exchange links?

the great Miriam Hopkins in one of her best performances......

This is one precode that I know I would hate, so I avoid it. A woman is attracted to her rapist? Disgusting. Icky. Pas pour moi. Never been that big a fan of Miriam Hopkins, either.

I love the arch and brittle Hopkins. She was also super in films like *24 Hours, Trouble in Paradise, Wise Girl, Becky Sharp,* and hilarious in *The Smiling Lieutenant.* Plus, she stood up to Bette Davis in two famous pairings!

Here's my review from IMDb: Miriam Hopkins stars as flirtatious tease from the good Southern family who goes joyriding with drunken boy and gets trapped in a den of thieves in the middle of nowhere. She witnesses a murder, gets raped, and is taken away by the vicious killer (Jack LaRue) to a whorehouse. She is so shellshocked by the events that she stays with him until a lawyer (and former boyfriend) sees her there. His visit shakes her back to reality and she tries to leave. LaRue stops her and starts to beat her but she shoots him and escapes. Later the lawyer (William Gargan) calls her to the witness stand when an innocent man is charged with the killing she witnessed. She tells her story and collapses. The End.

Based on William Faulkner's "Sanctuary," this pre-Code film skirts several issues but is amazingly frank and powerful in its storytelling. Lurid. Moody. Noirish. This film, which has only recently re-surfaced after 60 years boasts brilliant performances by Miriam Hopkins, William Gargan, Jack LaRue, and Florence Eldridge. Co-starring Elizabeth Patterson, Irving Pichel, Guy Standing, Louise Beavers, Jobyna Howland, Frank Darien, and William Collier, Jr. as the drunken boy.

Terrific sets and use of close-ups. The finale is superb as Gargan faces off against defiant Hopkins.

Even Bette was quoted as saying that Miriam was a good actress; even though she didn't like her personally she respected her as a performer. However she is just too shrewish and hard for me in most films. Even when she's supposed to be playing someone vulnerable you sense a hardness underneath that I find unattractive. I look at her and think to myself, "Would I want a friend like that?" Nope.

Bette on the other hand, from all I have read of her, was truly vulnerable underneath the prickles. And I do think she was the better actress.

Well yes, Miriam Hopkins was a very difficult actress and Bette Davis always called her a bwitch even though their 2 films together are splendid. In Edward G. Robinson's autobiography (a great read) he reluctantly agrees that Hopkins was a terror to work with (in *Barbary Coast* also with Joel McCrea) yet.... Hopkins was a brilliant actress who basically burned all her bridges.... It's touching to see Hopkins' later roles, starting with *The Heiress* in 1949. She's no longer the "star" and seems to settle into the role rather than play the star.

Message was edited by: drednm

TEMPLE DRAKE is one of the great Paramount pre-codes. I'm a big Hopkins fan and have most of those great Paramount titles. But you're right about her later roles. I caught the 1952 OUTCASTS OF POKER FLAT today. Hopkins has a small role in this Brett Harte story. Anne Baxter has the meaty role. It was kind of sad to watch her get gunned down in the back by Cameron Mitchell--a prophecy of things to come.

i'm not defending this film because i haven't seen it so i don't know from anything. i know that faulkner was from another time and that time didn't regard rape as a crime of violence. i wish mca, or universal, or whoever would issue a print of this so that people can make up their own minds.

>i know that faulkner was from another time and that time didn't regard rape as a crime of violence.

There was an exception in the law for "marital rape" up until the 1970's but otherwise rape was considered a crime back in Faulkner's day, though rarely reported due to shame.

> {quote:title=goldensilents wrote:}{quote}

>otherwise rape was considered a crime back in Faulkner's day, though rarely reported due to shame.

...or falsely accused to support a lynching. Usually the real rapist was too powerful, and they picked a hapless victim to lynch, often of a darker hue. Just want to get that out there, as it was common practice in the bad old days.

I skimmed through a very few brief scenes, despite the fact that it's up there on YouTube illegally, and it confirmed that I did the right thing by not buying a bootleg of it (apart from the breaking of the law issue). It's really a distasteful film. That Trigger character is a nasty piece of work.

Ok, I'm ready to have darts thrown at me, Mr. DeMille. :)

Why has Temple Drake never been released on DVD? I don't remember ever seeing it on TCM either? I don't get it. This is one of the most infamous pre-codes ever! I would think it would be a hot seller on DVD.

> {quote:title=jjelmquist wrote:}{quote}

> Why has Temple Drake never been released on DVD? I don't remember ever seeing it on TCM either? I don't get it. This is one of the most infamous pre-codes ever! I would think it would be a hot seller on DVD.

It was origianlly released by Paramount and now the print is owned by Universal.

Perhaps Universal will release it in a future volume of pre-codes.

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> An occasional Paramount title makes it to TCM. TEMPLE DRAKE would be a good one.

It would be nice if they did. :-)

That would be absolutely awesome if Temple Drake would be included in a future Universal Pre-Code set. Anyone know if there are plans for a Forbidden Hollywood #2 set from Universal? I've been enjoying their first set; slowly making my way through it. The Cheat was good..."shocking" even. But I thought Merrily We Go to Hell was pretty dull.