Sign in to follow this  
hamradio

Digital Transition - todays the day!

16 posts in this topic

Just wondering, how many of you turned on the TV today and saw this

tv-snow.jpg

Just in case you're not ready then look on the bright side. Yor are watching the cosmic background radiation of "The Big Bang". Ha, this is natures 12 billion years of dull programming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_(video)

Note: you may have to manually type in (video) in the address bar.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> Well, hopefully if you get TCM, you won't have to worry about this! ;)

Everyone who can see TCM does, of course, have cable or satellite, but I imagine there's a lot of them who have a second or third TV using an antenna. Hopefully, they've taken care of it.

Yes, of course, mark, that's a very good point. And I was just reading an article online about how many people apparently didn't even know that today was the last day of analog transmission. Hope folks can get their converter boxes soon!

Ok, I?ve got two cables coming into the house. One from the Sat dish and one from the antenna. They both go into my Sat tuner. After that, they sort of split off in different directions.

Some cables run into my VCR/DVD, and out again to my LCD TV. Other cables run from my DVD player into a switch. One side of the switch sends the VCR/DVD signal to my TV, and the other side sends my DVD player signal to my TV. My TV actually receives the Sat and VCR/DVD signals via two channels. One is on Ch. 3, and the other is through Video Input 1.

Somehow (and I?m no longer sure how), some cables branch off to another switch on the wall, and that carries my Sat signal, and my outside antenna signal, and my DVD player signal (when the first and second switches are activated) into my bedroom.

In my bedroom, I have a very nice small color tube TV next to my bed. A switch there sends either the Sat signal to my TV, or it sends the antenna signal into my new Converter Box. Uhh, hmm, somehow, my converter box and my Sat signal are attached to my TV. It took me a few days to figure out the proper connections, and, at the moment, I can?t remember what they are. I think the antenna signal goes directly into my converter box, my converter box goes into one side of the switch, and my Sat signal from my Sat tuner goes through the 2nd switch and into this 3rd switch (the one in the bedroom).

I can, of course, activate Switch #1 and run my DVD player into the bedroom, bypassing the converter box, going directly into the TV, via the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd switches.

I have 7 remote controls, all lined up in a row. I also have a hi-fi stereo that can amplify the sound from either the Sat or the antenna. :)

Anyway, I?ve been punching buttons all day, and no TV station in my area has switched over to digital today.

*Anyway, I?ve been punching buttons all day, and no TV station in my area has switched over to digital today.*

I read a story about the transition which said some stations weren't planning on switching to digital until 11:59pm (local time) today.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> *Anyway, Ive been punching buttons all day, and no TV station in my area has switched over to digital today.*

>

> I read a story about the transition which said some stations weren't planning on switching to digital until 11:59pm (local time) today.

Thanks for the information.

Analog to digital? What's that? What does it all mean? Why wasn't I informed about this?????

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> Fred, that sounds like a nightmare. Congratulations on being able to set up something so complicated!

Thanks.

Actually, it started years ago, and I added onto it gradually. It's fairly easy to figure out how to "add one more item" to the mix, but it's difficult to remember how everything is wired. I've just trained myself when to change Switches #1, 2, and 3.

I found my old boxes of tapes and now I'm watching "Red Dust" on TCM, from years ago.

Hello. You're Chevy Chase. And I'm not.

For those viewing on remote controlled TVs (that would be almost everyone, I suspect), don't forget to re-AUTOPROGRAM your set. When the transition occurred, some of your channels may have either disappeared or developed very poor reception (lots of snow/static). Quite possible their frequencies were altered slightly e.g., 34 to 46. Should be a button on your remote or a screen menu selection available for AUTOPROGRAM. This will capture and add new digital frequencies (channels) for your selection. Some of these may duplicate a few of your non-digital channels leaving you with both; digital and non-digital of the same program. You may also wind up with several _new_ channels you didn't have before. One additional channel I wound up with is RTV (RetroTV). What a nice surprise. All the old TV shows from the 1970's, such as - Marcus Welby, M.D. , The Bold Ones , Charlie's Angels , The Incredible Hulk , Emergency , It Takes A Thief and many more -- what I thought I would find on TV Land when it was created, but didn't.

The only downer is I also wound up with an unknown number (50? 75? more?) of DTV channels with nothing being transmitted. Probably part of the next tier I refuse to pay for. I have to delete each one manually - several per day.

A shock the other day to see Robert Osborne actually cut off mid sentence!! I looked at my Mom in disbelief and she said since the switchover to digital she's seen that several times. She thought it had something to do with "timing" to the very second, instead of within the minute.

I certainly didn't like it.

Since TCM is a cable channel and not an over-the-air channel, it would have nothing to do with the digital switchover. I assume that, like most other channels, TCM's master control technical operations are automated. That means timings have to be down to the second. If I had to guess, I'd say either the timing was wrong for the intro and the computer "chopped" it at the scheduled time or it was some other computer glitch like somebody entering the wrong information.

I loved the "old days" so much better when there were actual human beings pushing all the buttons.

K, you make fun, but here's what happened. My cable company had been running ads about how I didn't in fact need a converter box since I had service with them, and ALL my channels were fine except for TCM, which was lost. (Which, BTW, is very annoying, since TCM is pretty much why I pay for cable in the first place.) It didn't occur to me that it was due to the transition since I had all my other channels. Then it reappears suddenly and has been scrolling a message that TCM has extended the deadline to 08/17 and to contact Cox for a converter box I thought I didn't need to begin with since I have a cable drop and cable-ready TVs. Can anyone explain this? I am going to be pretty put out to rent converter boxes for one channel and pay for the privilege.

Alison?first off, are we talking about a ?converter box? which allows older analog televisions to receive over-the-air broadcasts (those signals are now digital?hence, digital transition) via an antenna or a cable company provided (at a cost) cable box? A cable box (sometimes referred to as a set top box, STB), in and of itself, has little to do with digital transition but instead how these companies market their services in ?tiers?. My bet is we are talking about the ?cable box? which is provided you by a cable company moving TCM up a tier which happens to be a digital tier. We (cable subscribers) are at the mercy of those providers regardless of how advanced our individual television sets are.

Are we getting close?