Sign in to follow this  
musicalnovelty

Rare Columbia pre-codes on TCM in September

17 posts in this topic

Yes they look interesting but several of them are shorts.....

I'll take anything new at this point. TCM has become so boring lately that days go by and I don't even bother checking the schedule. All I see is the same old, same old (at least to me).

12:00 AM Bad Boy (1925)

In this silent short, a young man tries to impress his parents, despite the fact that they disagree on everything. Cast: Charley Chase, Olive Borden, Noah Young. Dir: Leo McCarey BW-19 mins, TV-G

12:30 AM Isn't Life Terrible (1925)

In this silent short, a family camping trip turns into a disaster. Cast: Charley Chase, Oliver Hardy, Fay Wray. Dir: Leo McCarey. BW-22 mins, TV-G

1:00 AM Uneasy Three, The (1925)

In this silent short, three would-be crooks try to crash a society party. Cast: Charley Chase, Katherine Grant, Bull Montana. Dir: Leo McCarey. BW-22 mins,

1:30 AM Mama Behave (1926)

A man sets out to teach his exasperating wife a lesson. Cast: Charley Chase, Mildred Harris, Vivien Oakland. Dir: Leo McCarey. BW-22 mins,

2:00 AM Flowers of St. Francis (1950)

I said SEVERAL of them, not all of them

Drednm, what do you think of Evelyn Knapp? Why do you think she wasn't a bigger star? She was certainly beautiful (saw her in Sinners Holiday).

Maybe Knapp just wasn't a good enough actress.... because yes she was pretty. It's like asking why Tallulah Bankhead didn't do better in early talkies. With Sinner's Holiday, the film was basically stolen from her and Grant Withers by James Cagney and Joan Blondell.

I've always liked Evalyn Knapp (note that I listed her among the names that I consider favorites in the Columbia pre-codes coming in September, in my original post).

Trivia for Evalyn fans: what (admittedly indirect) connection did she have to The Three Stooges?

Answer later (if I'm able to get back on to post, which still has been a frustrating problem!)

Looks like TCM is finally getting back to showing the older films that I watch the channel for!

I'm curious about The Stooges connection. I'm a big Stooges fan. :)

Okay, for everyone who has been waiting for the answer to my Evalyn Knapp-Three Stooges trivia question, here finally is the answer:

Evalyn had a brother named Orville who had a band. They recorded for Decca and Brunswick from 1934 to 1936.

One of Curly Howard's odd jobs just before joining The Three Stooges in 1933 was as a "guest conductor" for live appearances by Orville Knapp and his Orchestra. Curly had a comedy act in which as he conducted his suit would fall apart little by little until he was left wearing just his underwear with a big padlock on the back.