Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

-30-

29 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

30-movie-poster-1959-1020376139.jpg

It was a hot day in LA. We were working the day shift when I realized someone named Lawrence was reading my mind...

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

31-8=23
?

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Fat chance

• Like 1

I opened this thread thinking it might be a discussion about the Jack Webb movie 30:

220px--30-_poster.jpg

I have this poster, but never have seen the movie. Any good?
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I opened this thread thinking it might be a discussion about the Jack Webb movie 30:

220px--30-_poster.jpg

I have this poster, but never have seen the movie. Any good?

It's a good movie. I saw it many years ago when I was in high school. It came to my mind when I realized that I had tried to post but then a message came up about things going bonkers and being broken and my post was not taking, and as soon as I resent it, then of course there were two versions of it, so I decided to use the "-30-" designation I learned from the movie, to make a joke of the duplicate post and fix things. Aren't you sorry now you got in this thread, Tiki? Sorry for the long explanation, but I don't know how to delete a whole thread here, so maybe someone will tell me how.

-30-

28 minutes ago, laffite said:

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Fat chance

Ephesians 6:66

The devil hath power to assume a pleasing shape.

Fat chance.

14 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Ephesians 6:66

The devil hath power to assume a pleasing shape.

Fat chance.

Don't say that to Hamlet. He believed it and it made him the most famous procrastinator of all time. Had he not believed it Hamlet would have been a one-act play.

I never trusted the man (or whatever) Ephaistus. Too many 6s if you ask me.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, laffite said:

Don't say that to Hamlet. He believed it and it made him the most famous procrastinator of all time. Had he not believed it Hamlet would have been a one-act play.

I never trusted the man (or whatever) Ephaistus. Too many 6s if you ask me.

Doncha think the prejudice against the number six has just gone way too far, Laffite?

It's actually my favorite number and if they said I won a lottery of 666 million Semolians, I would take it in a flash. Being that seven was considered a perfect number back in the biblical day according to many rabbis I know, that made one less, meaning six, an imperfect number. Why I'm not even scared of Ronald Wilson Reagan even though his name brings up the 6-6-6 scenario. Of course, Hamlet also has six letters, so I might have to think about that one a bit particularly if I was riding in his car on Route 666...

-30- is prime Jack Webb melodrama. Bill Conrad plays the editor and barks at David Nelson a lot. Nelson sings a song "Boy..Copy Boy". I actually have the sheet music!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Doncha think the prejudice against the number six has just gone way too far, Laffite?

It's actually my favorite number and if they said I won a lottery of 666 million Semolians, I would take it in a flash. Being that seven was considered a perfect number back in the biblical day according to many rabbis I know, that made one less, meaning six, an imperfect number. Why I'm not even scared of Ronald Wilson Reagan even though his name brings up the 6-6-6 scenario. Of course, Hamlet also has six letters, so I might have to think about that one a bit particularly if I was riding in his car on Route 666...

I was scared of Ronald Wilson Reagan without the numbers. So you see I have no prejudice with numbers. So I recant, I can take them or leave them and I agree with you, I would take the Semolians, all $666,666.66 of it. I used to play on a football team, the Wittenberg Somolians, but we lost all our games and went bankrupt. Oh, and hey, if you're really riding in that car with Hammy, tell him for me that he is on the road to hell, didn't he see the signpost just ahead. And say that I said that he should treat his girlfriends better, that he ought not stab old fools behind curtains, and that he should treat his mother better (remember how he cleft her heart in twain!). He may make pretty speeches now and then (and not saw the air too much) but frankly I think he's turning into a rotter.

• Haha 1

Don't know if I'm the only one here who used to work in newspapers. Anyone remember those? Columnists and editorial writers used to sign off with "30", especially if it was their last piece ever for a publication. I'm pretty sure I knew what it meant at one time, but I've forgotten. So my first thought when I saw "30" as your thread title was that it was your final post ever!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Don't know if I'm the only one here who used to work in newspapers. Anyone remember those? Columnists and editorial writers used to sign off with "30", especially if it was their last piece ever for a publication. I'm pretty sure I knew what it meant at one time, but I've forgotten. So my first thought when I saw "30" as your thread title was that it was your final post ever!

Ah, we can only dream....

As for newspapers....I've actually brought up that subject before on this board. Reporters, the excitement of breaking stories, are all things of the past. I wondered if the next few generations will be able to relate at all. I call it the GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER effect-kids today don't understand the dilemma of interracial marriage as subject of the movie (thankfully!) and the movie has no impact, little meaning (sadly).

My magazine was printed at the local newspaper building. There was nothing more exciting than watching my publication run through all the rollers being printed and sorted, coming out all neatly folded in a stack at the end. I bet that paper is no longer in business.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Would have helped if you mentioned that TO BEGIN WITH.  After all......

We ALL might have left our CLAIRVOIANCE CAPS at the shop that day, right?  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Oh, think of all the people besides you, SE who were hoping it was my last post! So sorry to have disappointed anyone.

I learned that term totally from watching the Jack Webb film of the same name, when I was a teen. It just came to my mind as a way to fix my duplicate post and get a bit of a laugh out of it at the same time. I have always liked movies about newspapers and their staffs, so dig their lingo which uses some terms used in art and copy in ads. 

-30-

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Ah, we can only dream....

As for newspapers....I've actually brought up that subject before on this board. Reporters, the excitement of breaking stories, are all things of the past. I wondered if the next few generations will be able to relate at all. I call it the GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER effect-kids today don't understand the dilemma of interracial marriage as subject of the movie (thankfully!) and the movie has no impact, little meaning (sadly).

My magazine was printed at the local newspaper building. There was nothing more exciting than watching my publication run through all the rollers being printed and sorted, coming out all neatly folded in a stack at the end. I bet that paper is no longer in business.

And apologies, Tiki, to you personally for the disappointment engendered by the post.

We can discuss this though about your unrealized as yet "dream" for me to leave the forum. Just how much in actual money is it worth to you? It's all negotiable and just show me the moola!

Number 30, it's Dirty Gertie... Bingo!

7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Reporters, the excitement of breaking stories, are all things of the past.

Hardly... Now the excitement is seeing which wannabe hack with a cellphone risks life & limb to report something on face-twit or whatever. Then it's seeing which 24 hour news outlet cut'n'pastes the story onto their official feed. Then there's the fun of the inevitable partial/complete retractions...

23 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

At one time, CG, there actually was a highway with the designation of "Route 666", a very twisty road that runs through mountains passes in eastern Arizona, and which is still nicknamed "The Devil's Highway" and even though its numerical designation a few decades ago was changed to AZ Hwy 191.

Because of its many curves it is quite popular with motorcyclists and sports car drivers.

(...oh, and btw...I'm sure Tiki was just kidding, and so don't you go anywhere...nobody starts more thought-provoking and fun threads than you do around here, and so keep up the good work)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OH and btw again...

I remember learning what another numerical code meant when I was a kid, and by watching Broderick Crawford saying it into his squad car's radio microphone on that old Philco TV set in our family's living room.

And, I'm pretty sure almost any of my fellow Boomers probably remember this too.

broderickCrawford.jpg

(...okay, everybody at once here...let's hear it..."10-4")

• Haha 1

Angus Young just called shotgun on your next dead man's curve ride, Dargo.

So you think Tiki was just kidding, eh? I was hoping not because I could make perhaps some big money based on how much antipathy I can stir up here, and then promise to leave for good to other environs for undisclosed funds. Just tell Tiki to contact my now disbarred attorney, Michael Cohen and we can work something out, if she's prepared to pay up big time in multiple figures, to get her dream realized.

Gee, you're the first man who's said I was "fun" without me doing any previous imbibing, that I've ever met. Quite a compliment and thanks!

9 minutes ago, Dargo said:

OH and btw again...

I remember learning what another numerical code meant when I was a kid, and by watching Broderick Crawford saying it into his squad car's radio microphone on that old Philco TV set in our family's living room.

And, I'm pretty sure almost any of my fellow Boomers probably remember this too.

broderickCrawford.jpg

(...okay, everybody at once here...let's hear it..."10-4")

Geez, rattling our brains for old tv police codes, are you, Dargo?

I think Adam-12 had some good ones that would stick in anyone's brain like a 459 for burglary or a 502 for a DUI. Wasn't there one of their shows where a guy ate some uncooked cake batter and then went to sleep on the porch and his stomach swelled up like a balloon due to the yeast? What a great show that was with unique plot lines!

Of course some here might be more familiar with ones like a 687 for lewd conduct with citrus fruits or a 187 for murdering the English language online while driving and typing at the same time.