Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Unheralded Actors Who Deserve Our Admiration

59 posts in this topic

Clifton Young

TCM viewers probably know him best for his frequent participation as Homer, the obnoxious loud mouth "Hiya, buddy boy!" always giving advice, in the Joe McDoakes comedy shorts

1255743451_1.jpg

But Young's film career started off as a kid in the Our Gang shorts

Bonesdusat.JPEG

And he can also be seen in a number of Warners film dramas, as well, often as a villain. One of his best known performances is as the blackmailer in Dark Passage

5124c.jpg

Apparently he can be spotted as a flophouse bum in Treasure of the Sierra Madre, as well.

Young was only 33 when he died in 1951 in a hotel fire as a result of his smoking.

Good topic, with plenty of possibilities.

I think 3 women who would fit this category were relatively old when they made their big-screen talkie debuts.  Well, relatively old by Hollywood standards.  They don't have a huge list of movies compared to others who were in the big-screen biz for say, 30 years, and all of them were dead by 1960.  My choices would be:

Constance Collier

Florence Bates

Hope Emerson

They might not be household names except for the most avid classic movie fans, but each time I see them in a film, no matter how brief their roles, they certainly make an impact and turn in memorable performances.

• Like 2

I very much like Harry Davenport, who also came to film later in life.  He's one of my favorite dispensers of sound advice to the perplexed leading characters.

24 minutes ago, Emily Emerac said:

I very much like Harry Davenport, who also came to film later in life.  He's one of my favorite dispensers of sound advice to the perplexed leading characters.

Well one actress agrees with you (and so do I).

Bette Davis called Davenport "without a doubt [. . .] the greatest character actor of all time."[2][3]

9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well one actress agrees with you (and so do I).

Bette Davis called Davenport "without a doubt [. . .] the greatest character actor of all time."[2][3]

I was curious about which movies they worked on together. According to a search on the IMDb, they costarred in:

THE SISTERS
JUAREZ
ALL THIS AND HEAVEN TOO
THE BRIDE CAME C.O.D.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 6:57 PM, TomJH said:

I always thought Verree Teasdale was kinda hot - in an upper crust cream of society sort of way.

Hubby Adolphe Menjou probably agreed.

Yeah, Verree Teasdale was good at playing likeable snobs, and could fill out an evening dress with the best of them.  I don’t know if they were necessarily unheralded, but Edward Everett Horton and Eric Blore were great character actors who made every movie they were in better.

For me, someone who fits this description, is Mr. Allyn Joslyn. A lot of you probably know who he was, but I don't think he gets the appreciation I feel he deserves. I've always thought he was pretty funny. 

Image result for allyn joslyn