Barton_Keyes

Neil Simon (1927 - 2018)

55 posts in this topic

Looks like this will be only its second TCM airing. I was watching the night of its only previous airing in January, 2015. It's okay. Mercedes Ruehl's (sp?) performance is particularly nice.

• Thanks 1

Just now, sewhite2000 said:

Looks like this will be only its second TCM airing. I was watching the night of its only previous airing in January, 2015. It's okay. Mercedes Ruehl's (sp?) performance is particularly nice.

Thanks. Yes, that would have been when TCM did the month-long spotlight on Simon three and a half years ago. Several of his newer pictures were screened.

I think there are some that have never been on TCM. Like LAST OF THE RED HOT LOVERS, a Paramount flick from 1972. And I OUGHT TO BE IN PICTURES a 1982 offering from 20th Century Fox.

Yes, I agree that Lost is Yonkers is worth viewing for the performances of Mercedes Ruehl and Irene Worth.

I'm also a big fan of "Only When I Laugh" which I saw when it opened and revisited several times.  One of Marsha Mason's better performances and Joan Hackett is wickedly sly.

• Like 2

Neil Simon was a clutch hitter. When we needed the punchline on Your Show of Shows he delivered. He also delivered 32 plays and over 20 movies. He was one of the sweetest & least jealous writers you could ever work with. For all who knew him, this is a truly sad day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

Neil Simon was a clutch hitter. When we needed the punchline on Your Show of Shows he delivered. He also delivered 32 plays and over 20 movies. He was one of the sweetest & least jealous writers you could ever work with. For all who knew him, this is a truly sad day.

Great quote. Love it. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1