Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Glenda Farrell as SOTM November 2018

45 posts in this topic

I am eager to see who will be chosen. Each day I check online to see if the new schedule info is available but nothing so far.

I just hope it's someone who hasn't been honored before. Or if it's a group thing, it features several people who haven't been honored yet.

I,m really hoping for Danny Kaye.  He is one of my very favorites and he,s so good and if you haven,t seen Kraft Salutes Disneyland,s 25th Anniversary from 1980 when he hosted?  I highly recommend you watch it on YouTube sometime.  He was so great on that.  I just love it and if we,re lucky.  Maybe Lenoared Malton will show that Disney,s Wonderful World presentation as part of Treasures From The Disney Vault sometime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Guercio said:

I,m really hoping for Danny Kaye.  He is one of my very favorites and he,s so good and if you haven,t seen Kraft Salutes Disneyland,s 25th Anniversary from 1980 when he hosted?  I highly recommend you watch it on YouTube sometime.  He was so great on that.  I just love it and if we,re lucky.  Maybe Lenoared Malton will show that Disney,s Wonderful World presentation as part of Treasures From The Disney Vault sometime.

Danny Kaye would certainly be an excellent choice. I notice that many of his films are currently available for streaming on FilmStruck.

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Danny Kaye would certainly be an excellent choice. I notice that many of his films are currently available for streaming on FilmStruck.

Checked Kaye's filmography on Wiki and was surprised that there was only around 18 films (starting with Up In Arms and ending with The Madwoman of Chaillot).   Just enough for a 4 day SOTM tribute if TCM can lease 16 or so of those 18 films.

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

Checked Kaye's filmography on Wiki and was surprised that there was only around 18 films (starting with Up In Arms and ending with The Madwoman of Chaillot).   Just enough for a 4 day SOTM tribute if TCM can lease 16 or so of those 18 films.   

On Danny's 100th birthday a few years ago his daughter introduced a whole day of his films with Ben Mankiewicz. So yes, there are enough for a full tribute and they do seem to be able to get access to them, including the titles he made at Paramount.

These 8 Danny Kaye films are currently on FilmStruck:

UP IN ARMS (1944)
WONDER MAN (1945)
THE KID FROM BROOKLYN (1946)
THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY (1947)
A SONG IS BORN (1948)
THE INSPECTOR GENERAL (1949)
HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN (1952)
MERRY ANDREW (1958)

• Like 1

Sounds like everyone has made up their minds. So, I will hope for Danny "Hans Christian Andersen" Kaye as well. So, just where is this secret hiding place for advance notice anyway? I won't tell. Whisper in my ear.

• Haha 1

No one knows yet.  But like I said.  I,m really hoping for Danny Kaye.  He,s one of my favorites and like I told everybody.  When you get a chance.  Logon to YouTube and watch Kraft Salutes Disneyland,s 25th Anniversary from 1980 when Danny Kaye hosted.  He did a really wonderful job and it,s fantastic and keep your fingers crossed for Lenard Malton to show it during Treasures From The Disney Vault sometime.  It could happen.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:12 PM, TopBilled said:

On Danny's 100th birthday a few years ago his daughter introduced a whole day of his films with Ben Mankiewicz. So yes, there are enough for a full tribute and they do seem to be able to get access to them, including the titles he made at Paramount.

These 8 Danny Kaye films are currently on FilmStruck:

UP IN ARMS (1944)
WONDER MAN (1945)
THE KID FROM BROOKLYN (1946)
THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY (1947)
A SONG IS BORN (1948)
THE INSPECTOR GENERAL (1949)
HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN (1952)
MERRY ANDREW (1958)

If the tribute was a day of the week from Sunday - Wednesday,  that would be 4 days.

Thursday - Saturday have 5 days in November,  but since Thursday is Thanksgiving,   and the other two days are the weekend,   I wouldn't select those days for SOTM.

So yea,  a 4 day tribute,  on Wednesday, with around 16 films,  for Kaye would be great.

• Like 1

I'm sure it will be another MGM staple who's had several SOTMs already. :(

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I'm sure it will be another MGM staple who's had several SOTMs already. :(

Not a WB staple?

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. Possibly there too.

Some WB or MGM staples are better than others. I'd like to see Robert Young honored again. He's only been Star of the Month once, way back in the 1990s. And he's never had a Summer Under the Stars tribute. He made dozens of films at MGM, a dozen films at RKO and other films with UA that are in TCM's library. His performances would be very easy for them to showcase.

He'd be ok. I'm still hoping against hope the Joan Bennett FINALLY gets her month.......

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hibi said:

He'd be ok. I'm still hoping against hope the Joan Bennett FINALLY gets her month.......

Yes, I could go for a Joan Bennett tribute. Definitely.

35 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, I could go for a Joan Bennett tribute. Definitely.

I would love to see Joan Bennett featured as SOTM,  but as you know she worked for multiple studios.  Of course that just makes a tribute more interesting (e.g. different under contract supporting players,  directors,  producers),   but it can also make it more difficult for TCM to lease her films.   Either way,  TCM should put in the effort.  

• Like 1

I am not going to waffle. Danny Kaye. Unless of course, Joan Bennett. It probably depends on the films available for November. So, nobody knows yet. Don't you just hate that?

4 hours ago, Hepburn Fan said:

I am not going to waffle. Danny Kaye. Unless of course, Joan Bennett. It probably depends on the films available for November. So, nobody knows yet. Don't you just hate that?

Yes....surprised the info is not available yet.

It will not be Danny Kaye: 1) it will be a woman, because four months of 2018 have had a man as SOTM - and December will too, we know; 2) virtually all DK movies are musicals or comedies with music, and we've just got past the whole 'musicals' thing; 3) DK is not serious or edgy or 'challenging' - and that's become really fundamental to the programmers' selection of content or themes in the post-BobO era of TCM. Think of a woman who was no fun at all, and you'd be on the right track.

42 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

It will not be Danny Kaye: 1) it will be a woman, because four months of 2018 have had a man as SOTM - and December will too, we know; 2) virtually all DK movies are musicals or comedies with music, and we've just got past the whole 'musicals' thing; 3) DK is not serious or edgy or 'challenging' - and that's become really fundamental to the programmers' selection of content or themes in the post-BobO era of TCM. Think of a woman who was no fun at all, and you'd be on the right track.

Or it could be a group star, since there hasn't been one of those in the past year. More women might have been selected in the past because they had been friends of Osborne's (like Bette Davis, Olivia De Havilland, Lucille Ball, etc.). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Or it could be a group star, since there hasn't been one of those in the past year. More women might have been selected in the past because they had been friends of Osborne's (like Bette Davis, Olivia De Havilland, Lucille Ball, etc.). 

The Bennett sisters: Joan, Constance, and Barbara: pre-code stuff, screwball comedies, noir stuff, MGM stuff, classy ladies, tough broads, femmes fatale, difficult women --- something for everyone.

2 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

The Bennett sisters: Joan, Constance, and Barbara: pre-code stuff, screwball comedies, noir stuff, MGM stuff, classy ladies, tough broads, femmes fatale, difficult women --- something for everyone.

Constance Bennett was Star of the Month a few years ago, and the emphasis was on her pre-codes. 

There are a lot of people they could honor. But if it's a repeat from MGM or WB, I hope it's someone who hasn't had a turn in a while.

I don't know anything; I just look at trends and play hunches. But if I had to guess right now I'd say Shelley Winters.